Coaching and turnovers

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Actually, one positive out of this crazy season has been being able to hear the coaches on the sidelines due to limited attendance. You can hear Coach Rhoades in the background coaching his butt off on every offensive/defensive possession. I can't tell you how many times this season I have heard him yell at his D1 players to not foul. It may be me, but the two A-10 coaches I have heard the most in the background this season have been Mike Rhoades and Anthony Grant.

On the flip side, there also have been way more coaches getting T'd up this year because the crowd noise is not there to hide their comments to the refs. The refs are hearing everything this year that the coaches say to them.
Yeah, there is no question that Rhoades is taking an active approach to coaching, despite numerous comments to the contrary. I actually like it, though the execution is not always there (which is why I don’t entirely chalk the Mason loss up to coaching).

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
Opinions vary.
I know you all are aware of this but I thought I would throw it out. We just beat URI (an incredible headache for us), Dayton twice which almost never happens, the Bonnies who had killed us earlier in the year, and UR, one of the pre-season favorites who happens to be our arch enemy. Given the intensity that was required for that is it so surprising that we would not have the same level of intensity and energy for George Mason? Did we really think a team this young would be able to hold on to that incredible level of mental and physical play for the rest of the season? Let’s also throw in the fact that they are playing in a setting that is about as conducive to energy production as a pick up game at the local rec center. Very disappointed but not totally unexpected.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I know you all are aware of this but I thought I would throw it out. We just beat URI (an incredible headache for us), Dayton twice which almost never happens, the Bonnies who had killed us earlier in the year, and UR, one of the pre-season favorites who happens to be our arch enemy. Given the intensity that was required for that is it so surprising that we would not have the same level of intensity and energy for George Mason? Did we really think a team this young would be able to hold on to that incredible level of mental and physical play for the rest of the season? Let’s also throw in the fact that they are playing in a setting that is about as conducive to energy production as a pick up game at the local rec center. Very disappointed but not totally unexpected.
Love me some Dr Joe, where you been....miss some of your thoughts on the court play

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Well said, sir. This was exactly the point I made before the game against Mason. It is natural to have a let down when you play 3 weeks of high level, intense games.

Reactions: SWV

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
How often does this happen to Few or Izzo or even K ?
It's not fair to compare Mike Rhoades, in his 4th year at VCU, to any of these coaches, each of whom has been at their respective school for at least 22 years (Few; Izzo is at 26 years; K is at 41, I think). Michigan State is in 11th place in the Big 10 and Duke has lost a game to ACC bottom-feeder, Miami. So, it happens to most coaches at some point. Heck, look at Kentucky this year. Cal didn't suddenly forget how to coach and he still recruits nothing but 5-star kids. Let me emphasize the word 'KIDS'. These are mostly 18-23 year-olds. They don't always do what they are told. That's just human nature. Like the rest of us, they also have bad days. This is not to suggest that Mike bears no responsibility, but it is completely unfair to think that every loss is on the coach. The players are the ones on the floor playing the game. At some point, they bear a lot of the responsibility for any loss, as well as the credit for winning games, too.

We lost to Mason. Yes, it sucks in every way possible, but anyone could see this coming. It is hard for people at any level of sports to get up for and to maintain a high energy level for every single game, particularly when it is a middling opponent like Mason. Heck, the Lakers have lost 3 straight at home, including last night to the awful, 13th place Wizards (yes, I know AD is hurt). The 0-13 Jets went out to LA in December and beat the Rams who were fighting for the NFL playoffs. It happens.

I have no idea if we'll beat SLU tonight, but I bet our energy level is better than it was against Mason. Human nature says it will be. Doesn't mean we'll win, though, but nothing would really surprise me. If SLU wasn't coming off a horrid performance at Dayton, then I'd feel better about our chances without Bones tonight. Regardless, our effort will be better and we can certainly win this game.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
The Doctor is in.

May 4, 2012
It's not fair to compare Mike Rhoades, in his 4th year at VCU, to any of these coaches, each of whom has been at their respective school for at least 22 years (Few; Izzo is at 26 years; K is at 41, I think). Michigan State is in 11th place in the Big 10 and Duke has lost a game to ACC bottom-feeder, Miami. So, it happens to most coaches at some point. Heck, look at Kentucky this year. Cal didn't suddenly forget how to coach and he still recruits nothing but 5-star kids. Let me emphasize the word 'KIDS'. These are mostly 18-23 year-olds. They don't always do what they are told. That's just human nature. Like the rest of us, they also have bad days. This is not to suggest that Mike bears no responsibility, but it is completely unfair to think that every loss is on the coach. The players are the ones on the floor playing the game. At some point, they bear a lot of the responsibility for any loss, as well as the credit for winning games, too.

We lost to Mason. Yes, it sucks in every way possible, but anyone could see this coming. It is hard for people at any level of sports to get up for and to maintain a high energy level for every single game, particularly when it is a middling opponent like Mason. Heck, the Lakers have lost 3 straight at home, including last night to the awful, 13th place Wizards (yes, I know AD is hurt). The 0-13 Jets went out to LA in December and beat the Rams who were fighting for the NFL playoffs. It happens.

I have no idea if we'll beat SLU tonight, but I bet our energy level is better than it was against Mason. Human nature says it will be. Doesn't mean we'll win, though, but nothing would really surprise me. If SLU wasn't coming off a horrid performance at Dayton, then I'd feel better about our chances without Bones tonight. Regardless, our effort will be better and we can certainly win this game.
I understand Rhoades has been a basketball coach for quite some time prior to VCU. If you want to discount all that then ok but why would we hire him if none of that mattered ?

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I understand Rhoades has been a basketball coach for quite some time prior to VCU. If you want to discount all that then ok but why would we hire him if none of that mattered ?
It’s not about length of time in total. It’s about being at one place. Don’t you think K recruited differently once he got to Duke from Army? It took him a few years to build the program he wanted, to establish the identity and culture. Sure, Rhoades was a coach at Randolph-Macon and at Rice. I trust that you know the recruiting and talent level is significantly different at VCU than either Randy Mac or Rice. It takes time to get the following: your type of kids into the program, establishing a culture you want for the long-term, and developing those players.

Izzo inherited a Michigan State team that finished 22-6 and ranked 11th at the end of the season. In his first two seasons, Izzo went 33-28 (16-16 and 17-12), with no post season play.

Coach K inherited a Duke team that was ranked in the top 15 of the Final polls three years in a row before he took over. They lost an NCAA Championship game and in the last game before K took over, Duke lost in the Elite 8. So, K took over a very strong program. In his first three years, Duke went 38-47 (17-13, 10-17, 11-17), with no post season play.

Reactions: BGDragoon80

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016
It’s not about length of time in total. It’s about being at one place. Don’t you think K recruited differently once he got to Duke from Army? It took him a few years to build the program he wanted, to establish the identity and culture. Sure, Rhoades was a coach at Randolph-Macon and at Rice. I trust that you know the recruiting and talent level is significantly different at VCU than either Randy Mac or Rice. It takes time to get the following: your type of kids into the program, establishing a culture you want for the long-term, and developing those players.

Izzo inherited a Michigan State team that finished 22-6 and ranked 11th at the end of the season. In his first two seasons, Izzo went 33-28 (16-16 and 17-12), with no post season play.

Coach K inherited a Duke team that was ranked in the top 15 of the Final polls three years in a row before he took over. They lost an NCAA Championship game and in the last game before K took over, Duke lost in the Elite 8. So, K took over a very strong program. In his first three years, Duke went 38-47 (17-13, 10-17, 11-17), with no post season play.
You've already decimated his stupid post. Now he's trying to change the subject.

When he asked "how often this happens to Izzo or K" you gave you an excellent example for both coaches from this season. Total destruction of his "gotcha" question (which was a BS question anyway).

After your efficient destruction of his dumb question he throws out a red herring for you to chase down.

Don't do it.

My advice: Quit while you're ahead and disengage.

My advice, Part 2: In the future, do not engage with people who debate in bad faith.