Coaching Hoopla!

Mar 27, 2009
Most local news stations are reporting Grant has agreed to the UA contract. He apparently wanted some additions and they were granted.

Now we'll get to see what Norwood has up his sleeve. Please no Sonny/Mack type of guy.

Mar 28, 2009
I see some of you have posted that it's ok if Grant went to UF, but not Bama. May I ask why? What has UA ever done to any of you? Have we ever played you in any sport?? VCU is a great school, but you must know it's not a top tier school sports wise, right? It's a stepping stone school, but that doesn't give you any reason to hate on UA.

We wish you guys the best of luck in your search for a new coach and continued success in basketball. Have a little class yourselves, people.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Rolltide12 said:
I see some of you have posted that it's ok if Grant went to UF, but not Bama. May I ask why? What has UA ever done to any of you? Have we ever played you in any sport?? VCU is a great school, but you must know it's not a top tier school sports wise, right? It's a stepping stone school, but that doesn't give you any reason to hate on UA.

We wish you guys the best of luck in your search for a new coach and continued success in basketball. Have a little class yourselves, people.
It's because we were under the impression Coach Grant would only leave us for a "special" job (especially after signing his extension this past year through 2014, paying him around 850,000 a year at our "stepping stone" school)...Alabama is not that school (no practice facility even?). Had he gone to Florida where he had been for 10 years it would hurt a lot less.

It's like, if your dating this hot girl...but she dumps you for some random frat guy...you are like, "what the f?"...but if she dumps you for this rich dude she once dated for 10 years you kinda understand. You know?

Mar 28, 2009
Natty said:
It's because we were under the impression Coach Grant would only leave us for a "special" job (especially after signing his extension this past year through 2014, paying him around 850,000 a year at our "stepping stone" school)...Alabama is not that school (no practice facility even?). Had he gone to Florida where he had been for 10 years it would hurt a lot less.

It's like, if your dating this hot girl...but she dumps you for some random frat guy...you are like, "what the f?"...but if she dumps you for this rich dude she once dated for 10 years you kinda understand. You know?
Alabama is making a commitment to him by paying him close to $2 million. Plus, we've made the necessary commitments to upgrade facilities to ensure we have a basketball team that is committed to excellence in the same way that our football team is.

As far as Alabama not being a "special job"? Would I compare it to Florida or Kentucky? No. But I'd go out on a limb and say it's a better job than LSU or South Carolina. We've had some tournament success over the past 5 years (an Elite 8 run in 2004 and being a shot away from eliminating UCLA in 2006) and even Gottfried kept us in the top 15 and was able to recruit top 10 classes. Talent wise, the state of Alabama is loaded. 9/10 times, the instate talent ends up at Alabama over Auburn. With a coach like Grant, we can focus on making sure coaches like Calipari and others can't come in and take that talent.

Feb 10, 2009
AHM21 said:
Natty said:

Alabama is making a commitment to him by paying him close to $2 million. Plus, we've made the necessary commitments to upgrade facilities to ensure we have a basketball team that is committed to excellence in the same way that our football team is.

As far as Alabama not being a "special job"? Would I compare it to Florida or Kentucky? No. But I'd go out on a limb and say it's a better job than LSU or South Carolina. We've had some tournament success over the past 5 years (an Elite 8 run in 2004 and being a shot away from eliminating UCLA in 2006) and even Gottfried kept us in the top 15 and was able to recruit top 10 classes. Talent wise, the state of Alabama is loaded. 9/10 times, the instate talent ends up at Alabama over Auburn. With a coach like Grant, we can focus on making sure coaches like Calipari and others can't come in and take that talent.
I actually have to agree with that....even after my angry tirades on the zone....If I was Grant, I would see this as an excellent opportunity to build a program with excessive resources from the ground up. So while I sympathize with the players, myself and other fans I wish him the best.