Coaching Rumors (the Mike Rhoades edition)

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
UNC isn't the place for a guy with no head coaching experience. This seems like a terrible hire to me.
I think the last two guys they hired who had no head coaching experience in college were Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge. Dean went 879-254 with a couple of national titles, and Guthridge went 80-28 in three seasons with two Final Four trips. They will be fine.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I think the last two guys they hired who had no head coaching experience in college were Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge. Dean went 879-254 with a couple of national titles, and Guthridge went 80-28 in three seasons with two Final Four trips. They will be fine.
Dean Smith was in 1961....very different time. Actually you can add Doherty to that list as he had only a single year as a HC at Notre Dame which is basically zero experience. So both Doherty and Guthridge, no to just a tiny bit of HC experience.....3 years and out. Guthridge basically got handed a final four year team from Dean Smith.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Dean Smith was in 1961....very different time. Actually you can add Doherty to that list as he had only a single year as a HC at Notre Dame which is basically zero experience. So both Doherty and Guthridge, no to just a tiny bit of HC experience.....3 years and out. Guthridge basically got handed a final four year team from Dean Smith.
Yes, 1961 was a different time. You what isn’t different? Carolina has been a national power since BEFORE Dean Smith took over. The only exception was the Matt Doherty experience. Carolina will be just fine.

Reactions: dc2232

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
We'll see. If they fire this guy in the next 4 years, you owe me a beer at the Stu. Otherwise, I owe you one.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Well, he'll be fired within two, so...

:D
Not a chance. Hubert is a UNC guy. He’s very smart and knows what he’s doing. And he’s going to hire a great assistant coaching staff. Sean May from UNC’s 2005 national champion team is already on the staff. There’s a good chance they’ll hire King Rice (current Monmouth head coach) and Jeff Lebo (former Auburn and ECU head coach) for the other two spots.