Coaching Rumors (the Mike Rhoades edition)

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
This is being called a good hire, but he’s a Fordham guy so I can’t help but question that.

I remember when Fordham fired Derek Whittenburg people blamed Whittenburg for the programs lously record. Turns out Whittenburg has/had the best win loss record* at the school since his firing. That W-L recored was a lousy .380. However, in his tenure he had two awful years.

I say this to point out Fordham has been a career killer for the last three guys who have coached there since they joined the A-10. Given this, it isnt fair to label someone who was on that staff as not good. Seems to me the issue is with the school and the AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-Man

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Yeah. Sucks to be paid millions to coach the game of basketball and then get paid more millions to get paid not to coach basketball. My heart breaks for them as they head for the #10 tee
I wonder if he’s actually going to get paid though. He had a good year this year which may be exactly what the board of governors needed to happen in order to fire him without cause and avoid that $10m bill.

Apr 21, 2009

What?! Speedy Claxton is a well known name, a Hofstra legend, and a very interesting and exciting hire for the Pride. I hope as a member of this community its not the first time you have heard the name or learned of the man.

Also, from your previous comment, Dennis Felton was a very good HEAD coach at Western Kentucky (and also made the tournament at UGA). He wasn't just some nameless Fordham assistant. Fordham is trash but not everyone is marked with a scarlet F.

Sometimes I feel like this board needs some Mike Gundy "get your facts straight."

Just because we have a good program does not afford us the luxury of being ignorant of the history of our conference and former conference peers- the opposite, in fact. Excellence means you've got to do be doing it better than the next guy, every time.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
What?! Speedy Claxton is a well known name, a Hofstra legend, and a very interesting and exciting hire for the Pride. I hope as a member of this community its not the first time you have heard the name or learned of the man.

Also, from your previous comment, Dennis Felton was a very good HEAD coach at Western Kentucky (and also made the tournament at UGA). He wasn't just some nameless Fordham assistant. Fordham is trash but not everyone is marked with a scarlet F.

Sometimes I feel like this board needs some Mike Gundy "get your facts straight."

Just because we have a good program does not afford us the luxury of being ignorant of the history of our conference and former conference peers- the opposite, in fact. Excellence means you've got to do be doing it better than the next guy, every time.
Not disputing any of that. I had no idea who either one was. I’ll do my research next time. Speedy looks like an excellent hire for the Pride.

Reactions: rammed and mrgeode
Apr 21, 2009
Not disputing any of that. I had no idea who either one was. I’ll do my research next time. Speedy looks like an excellent hire for the Pride.

10-4. I hate s--- posting but there has been a lot of wild stuff being thrown around here lately. I'm probably hyper sensitive about it because I frankly expect us to be the gold standard of college basketball discourse. Seems like any more we are devolving into the kind of garbage that we accused the fair weather big conference message boards of back in the CAAZone days.