Coaching Rumors (the Mike Rhoades edition)

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Not disputing any of that. I had no idea who either one was. I’ll do my research next time. Speedy looks like an excellent hire for the Pride.
Speedy won a championship with the Spurs in '03 backing up Tony Parker. He's probably more well known for being injured during most of the rest of his NBA career, his body didn't cooperate with him at all. He absolutely has one of the best names in sports.

I had no idea he played at Hofstra. I also feel it's OK for you not to know that as you're A: not a Hofstra fan, and B: likely didn't follow America East conference games from '96 to 2000.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
10-4. I hate s--- posting but there has been a lot of wild stuff being thrown around here lately. I'm probably hyper sensitive about it because I frankly expect us to be the gold standard of college basketball discourse. Seems like any more we are devolving into the kind of garbage that we accused the fair weather big conference message boards of back in the CAAZone days.
I mean, sure, but I don't think Will's posts are normally (ever?) of that ilk

• Love
Reactions: WillWeaverRVA
Apr 21, 2009
I mean, sure, but I don't think Will's posts are normally (ever?) of that ilk

Agreed. I wasn't referring to him in the previous alluded to comments. Just seems like the discourse is deteriorating to the most base and pedestrian of fan sentiment.

I have grown concerned that we may be fighting the disease of the late-stage Roman Empire.

This board (and others like it) has seen a similar such disease manifest as it has among the power 6 programs, sick with fair weather fandom and ignoranant of the greater basketball landscape whilst touting their own importance by comparison without sufficient justificstion.

Past program successes don't stand surety for fan ignorance- it should be called out when it is observed on the street. Let us not debase ourselves and become that which we have despised.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Agreed. I wasn't referring to him in the previous alluded to comments. Just seems like the discourse is deteriorating to the most base and pedestrian of fan sentiment.

I have grown concerned that we may be fighting the disease of the late-stage Roman Empire.

This board (and others like it) has seen a similar such diseases manifest among the power 6 programs, sick with fair weather fanism and ignoranant of the greater basketball landscape whilst touting their own importance by comparison without sufficient justificstion.

Past program successes don't stand surety for fan ignorance- it should be called out when it is observed on the street. Let us not debase ourselves and become that which we have despised.
You either die a hero or live to see yourself become the villain. I think we've got plenty more white hat days ahead of us, compadre, but I agree constant vigilance is warranted.

Reactions: IstanbulRam
Apr 21, 2009
"Every man is a hero and an oracle to somebody, and to that person, whatever he says has an enhanced value." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote may have been true in Emerson's time, though of course he did not have to deal with the ignorance and sophistry of modern message boards.

I would argue that a mere peek into the looking glass of the modern college sports fandom as it presents here and other places would have made Emerson and those like him give up transcendental theory all together. It would have been clear in mere minutes that man is unable to move into higher spiritual existence-- he can't even be bothered to move past his own Dunning Kruger- fueled delusions to fact check a post, in spite of the endless knowledge available at his fingertips.

Many more white hat days ahead? Preposterous! We already wear the black stains of medicore basketball knowledge gone unchecked and our souls are stripped bare with bias.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
"Every man is a hero and an oracle to somebody, and to that person, whatever he says has an enhanced value." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote may have been true in Emerson's time, though of course he did not have to deal with the ignorance and sophistry of modern message boards.

I would argue that a mere peek into the looking glass of the modern college sports fandom as it presents here and other places would have made Emerson and those like him give up transcendental theory all together. It would have been clear in mere minutes that man is unable to move into higher spiritual existence-- he can't even be bothered to move past his own Dunning Kruger- fueled delusions to fact check a post, in spite of the endless knowledge available at his fingertips.

Many more white hat days ahead? Preposterous! We already wear the black stains of medicore basketball knowledge gone unchecked and our souls are stripped bare with bias.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Do we contradict ourselves? Very well, we contradict ourselves. We are large, we contain multitudes.

-William Blake, probably

Reactions: artRAMinMN

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I’m certainly not shedding a tear for either of the Miller boys, especially Sean, but I also don’t root for most people to be fired either.
I am not one of the vultures that want people fired. However, in a high stakes industry where the participants are IMO grossly overpaid, whether one of them is let go is of no concern of mine either way. That is unless I have a personal connection.