College Basketball/A10/VCU basketball Covid news, pause, forfeit, etc thread

BradRamFan

Elite Member
In North Carolina, who actually track this, the percentage of COVID patients that are in intensive care an not vaccinated is approximately 89%. Even Gomer Pyle can look at those numbers and figure out what's working and what's not.
Gomer Pyle is equivalent to Einstein when compared to some of the antivaxxers and anti-maskers out there. Until covid came along, I didn't realize there were so many intellectually deprived people living in the US. Very disconcerting to be honest. And it is not just intelligence. There is a complete lack of logic, rationality and common sense in these people.

RamDanFan

Elite Member

That was the way I read this one yesterday. I had a long post written up with links etc. tried to delete something out of it and ended up whacking the whole post:-/

Anyway, plenty of studies have shown that antibody titers and efficacy declines over time with both vaccines and Covid cases. Your point to me seemed to be, if one has had Covid, why vaccinate?

Did I read that incorrectly?

I do not see where I questioned vaccine efficacy in that post. My apologies for causing anyone to think otherwise. My underlying point in that post is that I believe the time has come to start measuring antibodies to determine whether one needs the help of a vaccine, be it initial or a booster, rather than carte blanche vaccination. I also believe by allowing to do so would lessen the amount of distrust that we see against the vaccinations. Slowly that is happening. Shouldn't we not be aiming for less distrust? We have already seen the CDC recognize immunity from a prior infection occurring within the last 3 months. That is a start. I have also read favorable opinions of this. One such is from this article. Please take time to read it. It is an opinion piece from a well known epidemiologist from Johns Hopkins.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Not true....the vaccines completely stops infection (by the original covid and delta variant) in over 90% of the people who are vaccinated over a specific time frame. Different variants have slightly different genetics and thus the vaccine is not as effective because the target molecule on the new variant has been genetically changed from the original

completely stops infection (by the original covid and delta variant) in over 90% of the people

Nice qualifiers. lol. You sure do like to argue.

completely stops infection (by the original covid and delta variant) in over 90% of the people

Nice qualifiers. lol. You sure do like to argue.
My man I’m not sure what you arguing here. The vaccine keeps you out of the hospital(Which is a big part of having it. People died because of the overload/sheer volume. If you stretch the system too fair eventually it snaps.) as well as potential deathbed. It’s not gonna stop you from potentially getting it. People need to understand that. The point is to limit the spread and effects to the point the virus has limited hosts and limited ability to mutate. Having said this it’s known that it’s very effective in preventing you from getting the early versions of covid. Obviously Omicron came later. Even so even if you get Omicron which is less severe it offers additional protection particularly if you had the booster.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Gomer Pyle is equivalent to Einstein when compared to some of the antivaxxers and anti-maskers out there. Until covid came along, I didn't realize there were so many intellectually deprived people living in the US. Very disconcerting to be honest. And it is not just intelligence. There is a complete lack of logic, rationality and common sense in these people.
You ought to know.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
My man I’m not sure what you arguing here. The vaccine keeps you out of the hospital(Which is a big part of having it. People died because of the overload/sheer volume. If you stretch the system too fair eventually it snaps.) as well as potential deathbed. It’s not gonna stop you from potentially getting it. People need to understand that. The point is to limit the spread and effects to the point the virus has limited hosts and limited ability to mutate. Having said this it’s known that it’s very effective in preventing you from getting the early versions of covid. Obviously Omicron came later. Even so even if you get Omicron which is less severe it offers additional protection particularly if you had the booster.

1. I agree with everything in your post.
2. He said it completely stops the virus, then qualifies it with exceptions which is not true of "completely stops". That is laughable.

Both 1 and 2 can be correct.

Not true....the vaccines completely stops infection (by the original covid and delta variant) in over 90% of the people who are vaccinated over a specific time frame. Different variants have slightly different genetics and thus the vaccine is not as effective because the target molecule on the new variant has been genetically changed from the original
FWIW, my son and daughter inlaw spent a couple days with her family over Christmas. All 15 vaxed but 11 ended up with Covid. Delta.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The vaccines are already bought and paid for by the government/taxpayer money, so you already paid for it whether you get the shot or not. Even if you don't have insurance, it's free to you. So your "controlling the news" narrative is BS.
Not completely true. Something we can all agree on (maybe) is way too much misinformation/BS/fake news. The short of it, some drug companies took a lump sum to develop their vaccine and some are getting paid per dose. Regardless, big business.

https://www.managedhealthcareexecutive.com/view/the-price-tags-on-the-covid-19-vaccines