College coaching changes

BradRamFan

Elite Member
We have NIT threads and other threads not strictly pertinent to VCU so thought I would start a college coaching change thread. This thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with WW, nor do I expect it to. I am just following the coaching changes as an interest.

It's a bit dated but the best I could find
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2016

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...8520/2016-college-basketball-coaching-tracker

I'm amazed that Monte Ross was able to stick around DE a long as he did.

Rumor is that Drexel will pick up Army coach Zack Spiker who's record is an unimpressive 102-112.
http://hoopdirt.com/breaking-zach-spiker-to-be-named-head-basketball-coach-at-drexel/

There are a lot of losing coaches out there on the market this year.

Surprised a bit about Matt Brady at JMU....he was 20-9 this year too. But truthfully, I never thought he could bring JMU fully back to a winning program. Then again, I really didn't follow JMU before they had Dillard about 15 years ago and they've been in the basement ever since (except for the last several years under Brady). I wonder who they will get?

rammad90

Elite Member
We have NIT threads and other threads not strictly pertinent to VCU so thought I would start a college coaching change thread. This thread has absolutely NOTHING to do with WW, nor do I expect it to. I am just following the coaching changes as an interest.

It's a bit dated but the best I could find
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2016

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...8520/2016-college-basketball-coaching-tracker

I'm amazed that Monte Ross was able to stick around DE a long as he did.

Rumor is that Drexel will pick up Army coach Zack Spiker who's record is an unimpressive 102-112.
http://hoopdirt.com/breaking-zach-spiker-to-be-named-head-basketball-coach-at-drexel/

There are a lot of losing coaches out there on the market this year.

Surprised a bit about Matt Brady at JMU....he was 20-9 this year too. But truthfully, I never thought he could bring JMU fully back to a winning program. Then again, I really didn't follow JMU before they had Dillard about 15 years ago and they've been in the basement ever since (except for the last several years under Brady). I wonder who they will get?
I am surprised about Brady. However, Ross got into the NCAA tournament last year. I am surprised Bruiser lasted as long as he did as well. Maybe that explains why they think Spiker is there guy.

Havoc City

Elite Member
I've been thinking something over the last few days, and I wonder what you folks think.

If I am an AD at a bad program in a bad conference, let's say the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, which finished 8-22 and second to last place in the WAC, and I just fired my old coach, why not hire Xavier's assistant coach, Luke Murray (Bill Murray's son)? Whether he is successful or not, you'd get a lot of publicity, and maybe even a donation or something down the line from Bill. Regardless, you'd get a little publicity, which would be a positive for a school that has never been to the big dance.

Thoughts?

cincyrams

Elite Member
Well if you guys want to follow a coaching change my other team is going through a little stress right now. I know we played UC the past few years but I love Cronin and everything he's done for our program. Hoping UNLV doesn't snatch him up. UC is a tough hard nosed program like none other in the NCAA. The half court defense Cronin has is suffocating.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Well if you guys want to follow a coaching change my other team is going through a little stress right now. I know we played UC the past few years but I love Cronin and everything he's done for our program. Hoping UNLV doesn't snatch him up. UC is a tough hard nosed program like none other in the NCAA. The half court defense Cronin has is suffocating.
I honestly don't know why Cronin would jump to UNLV after building Cincy into a contender in the American. Just seems like a step down IMHO.

2012Ram

Elite Member
I honestly don't know why Cronin would jump to UNLV after building Cincy into a contender in the American. Just seems like a step down IMHO.
They can pay him more, have good facilities and apparently it's really easy to recruit high caliber talent there.

That being said; I suspect he was just using UNLV's interest to leverage his position in Cincy. They've promised him renovations and upgrades over the years and haven't followed through, and I think this was him saying "keep your word or find a new coach".

We'll see. I like Cronin, and hope he stays in Cincy.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
They can pay him more, have good facilities and apparently it's really easy to recruit high caliber talent there.

That being said; I suspect he was just using UNLV's interest to leverage his position in Cincy. They've promised him renovations and upgrades over the years and haven't followed through, and I think this was him saying "keep your word or find a new coach".

We'll see. I like Cronin, and hope he stays in Cincy.
Can UNLV pay him more? Granted I have no clue about UNLV's financial strength but I have a hard time believing that a power school in the American would not be able to at least match them.

2012Ram

Elite Member
Can UNLV pay him more? Granted I have no clue about UNLV's financial strength but I have a hard time believing that a power school in the American would not be able to at least match them.
Word is they're offering him $3m. That's $800k more than Cincy. No taxes either. It would make him a top 10 paid coach.

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Word is they're offering him $3m. That's $800k more than Cincy. No taxes either. It would make him a top 10 paid coach.
Wow, that would explain why he is considering that offer. Rebuilding programs are a hard thing to do.