Commission on College Basketball calls for sweeping reforms by NCAA

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by BigE, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

Ramlove81 likes this.
  2. Ramlove81

Ramlove81 Hall of Famer Top Member

SwiftyClown likes this.
  3. vcugq08

vcugq08 Starter

The shoes companies and AAU are a major part of the problem.

4. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

5. share the ball

share the ball 6th Man

my two cents. Schools, Coaches and Administrators are the major part of the problem and athletes/parents of athletes that accept impermissible benefits . AAU and shoe companies are just an outgrowth of the problem. NCAA is nothing more than what the schools have agreed to create and operate under and they could legislate at any time rules that would diminish or eliminate any influence those organizations have. For example accept no money from shoe companies or apparel companies or not allow any high school player who plays for a team that accepts shoe money or goods to be eligible for college scholarship
    we live in a society that people will push rules to the extreme. Coaches have been dealing with this for decades as some coaches push rules to the extreme or know that rules cannot be enforced or the likelihood of getting caught is minimal or the risk is worth the return.
    Our AD Ed is right that this is about integrity and ethics of our programs' coaches
    Also the elephant in the room is the outsized influence that money from basketball and football have on how schools behave. There is an arms race in facilities and feeding frenzy to pay coaches large sums to keep schools at the top and earning the money they now need to support the empires they create (as an example take a P-5 school like Maryland that has 20 or more teams that compete at high levels in many sports of which only 2 make money to support the rest - drive through their campus and look at their facilities for non revenue teams-)
    The Commission's work is a good start but my guess is until we have the next fraud occur and garner national publicity the desire to pursue further changes will diminish.

I know I have offered no solutions but if I had the pulpit I would suggest for consideration
    Conferences (maybe it is the NCAA) should not require schools to compete in so many money losing sports - at VCU I would play Basketball, Soccer and Tennis (both genders to make sure we are Title 9 compliant)

6. vcu70

vcu70 Legend Top Member

Depending on how you want to look at it, our student fess pay for our other sports. BB spends all they take in.

7. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

so why did you choose them?
    I thought it was about student participation - not money.
    actually if colleges are serious about who they are they should take the Ivy/Patriot Leagues approach.
    Some of you would probably never come a VCU game again (oh well)

8. share the ball

share the ball 6th Man

I chose them for a couple of reasons -
    1. They are sports we have excelled at over the last 20 -30 years (conference championships and NCAA tourney participation are the metrics I use) yes I know womens' soccer and basketball don't meet that criteria but I wanted gender balance
    2. They provide balance for the seasons - one fall sport, one winter sport and one spring sport
    3. VCU owns/has the facilities to support (we technically don't own Sports Backers but for all intent and purposes we control)
    4. Gender equity
    I recognize many would suggest baseball which has enjoyed great success over the same timeframe but they don't have a stadium or practice facility they own/control - to build something would be in $10-25 million range

Not sure what you mean by Ivy/Patriot League approach (Patriot league does give Athletic Scholarships - if the school wants to - many now do - this probably changed in the early 2010s or late 2000's)
    Also Ivy schools give blind need based aid (at least that is how they would describe) Harvards and Yales of the world with large endowment and school policies on aid can often find ways to pick up most of the cost for some athletes - but naturally they don't cut too many corners when it comes to who they admit

I was trying to make the point to allow schools an ability to play lesser number of sports and not force them as conferences do to have a minimum # of sports that effectively run up the losses that must be funded (or in VCU's case the nearly $20 million subsidy from student fees) Imagine if we could redirect $5 million dollars annually to support soccer and tennis and women basketball - talk about a juggernaut

9. major ram

major ram Hall of Famer

Personally I believe colleges and athletics should part ways. Colleges need to be revamped with more emphasis on practical learning getting away from trendy feel good policies and curriculums Colleges are the minor leagues for the NFL and the NBA and monies spent on athletics could/should be used to promote learning and research. Oh and professors could actually teach students again.
    Sports would be localized with cities having non subsidized teams in sports the colleges currently dominate because they are subsidized. Think European soccer English Premier League etc...
    I realize it’ll never happen but it is in my opinion the way colleges should go
    Blast away.

IbleedVCU and share the ball like this.
  10. VRam

VRam Legend Top Member

VCU started the men's tennis program because we had to add sports to get to the required minimum when we joined the SBC.

share the ball likes this.
  11. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Legend Top Member

How bout we just go back to intramural club. If hs athletes want to pursue a pro career then they can pursue other paths.

12. share the ball

share the ball 6th Man

not sure what your point was

13. share the ball

share the ball 6th Man

did not realize that was the genesis but it is our best program (as you and many here know it is our only program to play for the NCAA national championship )
    our collective record since establishment

Overall
    (Men's & Women's)
    1122-407 .734 35 NCAA Appearances
    39 Conference Titles

PRock likes this.
  14. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Legend Top Member

Just that it may not be a bad idea to return college sports back to the basics. Playing them for simple competitive fun and take the profiteering out of it.

15. Havoc2Ut2

Havoc2Ut2 Legend Top Member

I refuse to join the discussion. I'm only going to say "yeah, that'll happen..."