Countdown to the Black & Gold Game

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Mentioned above.
Gotcha it was hard to follow without seeing the post quoted. Hops is saying he is excited for a game and mentioned "the last time VCU was a consensus top 25." He did not say this year the team was a consensus top 25. Polls have not come out yet.

Last edited:

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
I think I saw it on endless motor sports ??
We are on 4 of 7 I checked so that is correct
Gotcha it was hard to follow without seeing the post quoted. Hops is saying he is excited for a game and mentioned "the last time VCU was a consensus top 25." He did not say this year the team was a consensus top 25. Polls have not come out yet.
well no AP or Coaches polls out but lots of others that dont mean much.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Ro lost his Mama recently. She was one of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure to know. Raised a great family despite difficult circumstances. I saw almost all of Ro's games during his Junior and Senior years at Craddock High in Portsmouth. He was an amazing player. Led the state in both scoring and rebounding his Senior year despite having a piece of glass embedded in his foot that would later require surgery. Ms. Lamb attended every VCU home game.

RIP Ms. Lamb.
To this day probably had the greatest season of any VCU point guard not named Eric Maynor.

Last edited:

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
I think I saw it on endless motor sports ??
When I said we were a "consensus top 25 team" this year - I wasn't worried about being technically correct.
While we are in the top 25 on lots of "too early pre-season rankings lists", it was mostly a "consensus" of my fellow Ram fan friends. I underrated us last preseason. This year I'm "All Aboard the fan train"!

May 3, 2012
Ro lost his Mama recently. She was one of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure to know. Raised a great family despite difficult circumstances. I saw almost all of Ro's games during his Junior and Senior years at Craddock High in Portsmouth. He was an amazing player. Led the state in both scoring and rebounding his Senior year despite having a piece of glass embedded in his foot that would later require surgery. Ms. Lamb attended every VCU home game.

RIP Ms. Lamb.
Sorry to hear about Ro's mom; may she rest in peace.
As I posted a few years back, Ramification was primarily responsible for VCU signing Ro. Way back before social media and IM, Ramification called the Rams Club President and told the Rams Club that we needed to come down to a home game at Craddock High and cheer for Ro's team. We couldn't cheer directly for just Ro, but we needed enough presence to make it effective. We did it but only because of Ramification.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Those of us who were there went just as nuts as the team and cheerleaders. At 1:20 in the clip, you can see Ro wanting no part of JD with good reason.
JD made the NCAA tournament 5 out of 6 years at VCU. Then two in a row at Tulsa but then things went south. From Tulsa to Northwestern State to Hawaii Pacific to administrative duties at a Tulsa high school then Tulane and Hawaii Pacific for one last year. I gotta shake my head because he had things rolling at VCU and the new hire did not do so well for my Rams back when it happened.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
JD made the NCAA tournament 5 out of 6 years at VCU. Then two in a row at Tulsa but then things went south. From Tulsa to Northwestern State to Hawaii Pacific to administrative duties at a Tulsa high school then Tulane and Hawaii Pacific for one last year. I gotta shake my head because he had things rolling at VCU and the new hire did not do so well for my Rams back when it happened.
I was gutted when he left. Didn't really know about the drama on the team. The man could coach

Reactions: RAMification

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I was gutted when he left. Didn't really know about the drama on the team. The man could coach
Yeah, it was a bummer especially after all of the success the team had under him. I used to live with a player who was a walk on. He was a really good ball player from Booker T Washington high school. I heard many JD stories and he was brutal.

Reactions: Mistachill

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, it was a bummer especially after all of the success the team had under him. I used to live with a player who was a walk on. He was a really good ball player from Booker T Washington high school. I heard many JD stories and he was brutal.
I was more concerned that he was going to stroke out on the sideline than that he'd leave. The man was a nervous wreck during games

Reactions: RAMification

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I was a good friend of JD's back in the day. A major part of his leaving had to do with his difficult relationship with Lewis Mills(AD). Also I believe JD was caught in a changing sports world. JD was a notorious disciplinarian. It was his way or the highway. He could be brutal at times but he honestly believed his methodology resulted in producing better, tougher, more resilient young men. It could also cause pushback which is what happened in the Alabama NCAA game. I think Ro and Calvin would probably confirm this today. When I say he was caught in a changing sports world I mean the demeanor of a coach and the way he treated his players was changing rapidly. This was a part of cultural changes taking place within the country as a whole. The days of overt anger, shouting, cussing profusely, throwing chairs etc. was disappearing. This behavior was becoming unacceptable and coaches were being fired for misbehavior toward players. What's interesting is that those characteristics made many coaches like JD and Bobby Knight, to name a few, very successful. JD was a great guy and a terrific coach but I really do believe he got caught-up in a changing environment within the sports world. You tame that fire and it's just not the same in terms of winning for some coaches.