Countdown to the Black & Gold Scrimmage, which will NOT be streamed

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Seemed like a lot of shots were blocked but none with the impact of a #MoSaysNo block (made me miss him!!) Really enjoyed the band. Forgot to pay attention to the lighting ( it was ungraded, right?). Sat in seats & it confirmed our preference for benches. Peppas sounded great!! Managers/assistants with towels mopping the floor ( please oh please let that be the standard for the whole season )

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don’t care what fur says about their attendance, there are more spectators for the VCU preseason scrimmage than most regular season fur games.
During the pregame the radio team was stating that most of new kids have never played before these many folks at home; including the transfers from other colleges.

Mar 16, 2014
Great to be back in THE ANIMAL

Jonny despite underwhelming stat line is ready for his senior year

Vann is going to be a beast for 3 years and then find a place in the NBA

Deriante is as good as advertised. He is also an NBA probable

Santos Silva was the second biggest surprise of the night! He will be a force in couple of years

Sean Mobley can do it all. He's a smart player - if developed right he too has the potential for NBA after 4 years

Djonkham has body and enthusiasm but lacks a ton of technique. Redshirt???

Mikel Simms reminded me of Jordan Burgess on those wide open misses. He has some defensive presence tho.

I couldn't gauge Crowfields game

BEST FOR THE LAST
Khris Lane is A BEAST

Tyler Maye is an offensive nightmare for opponents. He can shoot it from anywhere. He also surprised me with his handles. Surprise of the night. This guy fits really well into the HAVOC system. Loved his game. Kid will be a star here.

Overall,
Too many 3s
Defensive breakdowns
Missed free throws
Too many fastbreaks allowed

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
My take, which I am sure is nothing that hasn't been said already.

1. B&G is so hard to evaluate. Groupings that will never see the floor together, playing beyond their endurance level without subs, every offensive success comes at the cost of a defensive failure etc. Nonetheless . . .

2. DJ is a star. Was born a star, is a star already and will be one of the all-time greats when he leaves. Silk in sneakers.

3. I have to admit that I had my doubts with MSS when he was signed. He looked like a useful college player, but not in a fast paced offense and I had a hard time seeing him fit in. I watched his tape and just couldn't see him running with this crew. Man was I wrong. This kid -- the NEW MSS -- is hard and lean and just does not quit. He outworks everyone around him and never gives up on a play. I about exploded when he spun into that pretty little hook shot. Blocks, rebounds, stays in front of his man . . . I can't say enough good things about him. I see him getting major minutes this year and becoming a cornerstone in years to come.

4. Maye was also a revelation. Kind of a funky delivery but the kid is obviously a gifted scorer. He will be a significant factor this year.

5. IV is DJ's bookend. Very smooth. Got a little frustrated today because his shot wasn't falling as he wanted, but you could tell he has the skills.

6. Lane looks like a 5th year senior out there. MUCH more athletic than I thought. Between he and MSS, there was a lot of strength underneath. With Justin, that is going to be quite some trio.

7. Lewis, on the other hand looks to have some skills but looked overwhelmed. He'll get there eventually. Simms and X look athletic but beyond X's oop, neither really made an impression on me.

8. Play of the day was JWill's steal>drive>2-handed slam. WHAT A PLAY! Also liked his three. Looked good from the minute it left his hand

Bottom line, I am encouraged. This team really needs some major contributions from new faces, including some of the freshmen, and today showed me that that is not too much to ask for. It was distressing to see how poor the shooting was overall, and I really really did not like 10-18 FT shooting. This team will not survive that kind of shooting from the floor or the line. But there is reason to think that was a product of the environment.

So happy to have Rams basketball back!

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
My take, which I am sure is nothing that hasn't been said already.

1. B&G is so hard to evaluate. Groupings that will never see the floor together, playing beyond their endurance level without subs, every offensive success comes at the cost of a defensive failure etc. Nonetheless . . .

2. DJ is a star. Was born a star, is a star already and will be one of the all-time greats when he leaves. Silk in sneakers.

3. I have to admit that I had my doubts with MSS when he was signed. He looked like a useful college player, but not in a fast paced offense and I had a hard time seeing him fit in. I watched his tape and just couldn't see him running with this crew. Man was I wrong. This kid -- the NEW MSS -- is hard and lean and just does not quit. He outworks everyone around him and never gives up on a play. I about exploded when he spun into that pretty little hook shot. Blocks, rebounds, stays in front of his man . . . I can't say enough good things about him. I see him getting major minutes this year and becoming a cornerstone in years to come.

4. Maye was also a revelation. Kind of a funky delivery but the kid is obviously a gifted scorer. He will be a significant factor this year.

5. IV is DJ's bookend. Very smooth. Got a little frustrated today because his shot wasn't falling as he wanted, but you could tell he has the skills.

6. Lane looks like a 5th year senior out there. MUCH more athletic than I thought. Between he and MSS, there was a lot of strength underneath. With Justin, that is going to be quite some trio.

7. Lewis, on the other hand looks to have some skills but looked overwhelmed. He'll get there eventually. Simms and X look athletic but beyond X's oop, neither really made an impression on me.

8. Play of the day was JWill's steal>drive>2-handed slam. WHAT A PLAY! Also liked his three. Looked good from the minute it left his hand

Bottom line, I am encouraged. This team really needs some major contributions from new faces, including some of the freshmen, and today showed me that that is not too much to ask for. It was distressing to see how poor the shooting was overall, and I really really did not like 10-18 FT shooting. This team will not survive that kind of shooting from the floor or the line. But there is reason to think that was a product of the environment.

So happy to have Rams basketball back!
NM, did Mobley play?