I think that by the beginning of the conference schedule, Sean's teammates will catch on to his passes and be ready for them. He has some really good passing skills that will help us going forward.Sean w/some passes that caught receivers off guard and they fumbled opportunities
During the pregame the radio team was stating that most of new kids have never played before these many folks at home; including the transfers from other colleges.I don’t care what fur says about their attendance, there are more spectators for the VCU preseason scrimmage than most regular season fur games.
NM, did Mobley play?My take, which I am sure is nothing that hasn't been said already.
1. B&G is so hard to evaluate. Groupings that will never see the floor together, playing beyond their endurance level without subs, every offensive success comes at the cost of a defensive failure etc. Nonetheless . . .
2. DJ is a star. Was born a star, is a star already and will be one of the all-time greats when he leaves. Silk in sneakers.
3. I have to admit that I had my doubts with MSS when he was signed. He looked like a useful college player, but not in a fast paced offense and I had a hard time seeing him fit in. I watched his tape and just couldn't see him running with this crew. Man was I wrong. This kid -- the NEW MSS -- is hard and lean and just does not quit. He outworks everyone around him and never gives up on a play. I about exploded when he spun into that pretty little hook shot. Blocks, rebounds, stays in front of his man . . . I can't say enough good things about him. I see him getting major minutes this year and becoming a cornerstone in years to come.
4. Maye was also a revelation. Kind of a funky delivery but the kid is obviously a gifted scorer. He will be a significant factor this year.
5. IV is DJ's bookend. Very smooth. Got a little frustrated today because his shot wasn't falling as he wanted, but you could tell he has the skills.
6. Lane looks like a 5th year senior out there. MUCH more athletic than I thought. Between he and MSS, there was a lot of strength underneath. With Justin, that is going to be quite some trio.
7. Lewis, on the other hand looks to have some skills but looked overwhelmed. He'll get there eventually. Simms and X look athletic but beyond X's oop, neither really made an impression on me.
8. Play of the day was JWill's steal>drive>2-handed slam. WHAT A PLAY! Also liked his three. Looked good from the minute it left his hand
Bottom line, I am encouraged. This team really needs some major contributions from new faces, including some of the freshmen, and today showed me that that is not too much to ask for. It was distressing to see how poor the shooting was overall, and I really really did not like 10-18 FT shooting. This team will not survive that kind of shooting from the floor or the line. But there is reason to think that was a product of the environment.
So happy to have Rams basketball back!