Crazy scheduling question

Dec 2, 2012
Hey;

Lets say, just for the sake of argument, that VCU decided to load up on as many ranked teams as possible, even if we had to have them all be road games.

Who could we get?

And would having 7 or 8 road games against a bunch of ranked teams, or at least P5 teams, do anything for our ranking and helping us get an at large bid?

I mean i get it that it makes sense to beat up on some cupcakes and get the wins, and if we had 8 road games against p5 teams, before conference play, we would be in trouble,

But isn't it our policy to not do unbalanced road schedules, instead holding out for buy games at home of home and home series?

Also, are we too good for that?
Does Duke or whomever look at VCU and say "Screw that, we get enough tough teams in the ACC, bring me some cupcakes"?

Please consider this question as an invitation to explain how scheduling actually works and why we go after cup cake games.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Hey;

Lets say, just for the sake of argument, that VCU decided to load up on as many ranked teams as possible, even if we had to have them all be road games.

Who could we get?

And would having 7 or 8 road games against a bunch of ranked teams, or at least P5 teams, do anything for our ranking and helping us get an at large bid?

I mean i get it that it makes sense to beat up on some cupcakes and get the wins, and if we had 8 road games against p5 teams, before conference play, we would be in trouble,

But isn't it our policy to not do unbalanced road schedules, instead holding out for buy games at home of home and home series?

Does Duke or whomever look at VCU and say "Screw that, we get enough tough teams in the ACC, bring me some cupcakes"?

Please consider this question as an invitation to explain how scheduling actually works and why we go after cup cake games.
It's always good to be able to work out some kinks and get some wins at the same time. That said, I wouldn't mind us having a few away only games if that's what it takes to play ranked teams. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works money wise, but I don't think one or two games would hurt. I remember (I know it's been a while ago) Louisville when Denny Crum first came there would play anyone anywhere, which usually meant playing big time programs on the road. But for several years they had the toughest non-conference schedule in the country. They got a lot of respect just barely make it above .500 with those schedules and the program was built into a national power. Not saying that would work today, but it has in the past.

Reactions: WestEndEd
Dec 2, 2012
It's always good to be able to work out some kinks and get some wins at the same time. That said, I wouldn't mind us having a few away only games if that's what it takes to play ranked teams. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works money wise, but I don't think one or two games would hurt. I remember (I know it's been a while ago) Louisville when Denny Crum first came there would play anyone anywhere, which usually meant playing big time programs on the road. But for several years they had the toughest non-conference schedule in the country. They got a lot of respect just barely make it above .500 with those schedules and the program was built into a national power. Not saying that would work today, but it has in the past.
Yes, something like that.
Also, i recall hearing that Frank Wade was some kind of whiz at scheduling, and kind of gaming the points system to be better at getting at large bids?

Nov 19, 2019
Hey;

Who could we get?

you start your schedule with 9 home games, a couple which are already supposedly cupcakes. As an AD, how are you going to sell that alone as a season ticket? Answer that ED FAR WEST.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
you start your schedule with 9 home games, a couple which are already supposedly cupcakes. As an AD, how are you going to sell that alone as a season ticket? Answer that ED FAR WEST.
Yeah, for a program like ours we need donation and ticket revenue. If we only play decent teams on the road then we miss out on marque OOC home games. If schools know that we will take buy games at some schools then they will want the same and no one worth a darn will come to the Stu.

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah, for a program like ours we need donation and ticket revenue. If we only play decent teams on the road then we miss out on marque OOC home games. If schools know that we will take buy games at some schools then they will want the same and no one worth a darn will come to the Stu.
I wonder if West End Wonder will understand that?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
And we had the #2 ranked non con SOS last season. This year will be good as well, but not quite that high. Strength of schedule has not gotten us left out of any NCAA tournaments. Too many losses for a school in the A10 will get you left out even if you played a 7 game series with the Lakers. We have found a good scheduling formula for at large bids and every year in the past decade when we have had an at large worthy team we have gotten a bid when needed. We probably would have earned one in 2007, 2009, 2012, and 2015 as well if we didn't win our tourney. What would we be trying to achieve by playing a Jacksonville State style non con schedule?

Nov 19, 2019
And we had the #2 ranked non con SOS last season. This year will be good as well, but not quite that high. Strength of schedule has not gotten us left out of any NCAA tournaments. Too many losses for a school in the A10 will get you left out even if you played a 7 game series with the Lakers. We have found a good scheduling formula for at large bids and every year in the past decade when we have had an at large worthy team we have gotten a bid when needed. We probably would have earned one in 2007, 2009, 2012, and 2015 as well if we didn't win our tourney. What would we be trying to achieve by playing a Jacksonville State style non con schedule?
It s called stuck in the A10 with no place to go.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Hey;

Who could we get?

I love the idea.

Maryland
Georgetown
West Virginia
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
UNC

All road games.

I dont care if we pay, it will pay dividends in march.

Jon Chaney philosophy of scheduling all the way.

I'll go one further...see if you can schedule one.of.them in march...before the conference tourney like.the old.days.

Feb 14, 2011
I love the idea.

Maryland
Georgetown
West Virginia
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
UNC

All road games.

I'll go one further...see if you can schedule one.of.them in march...before the conference tourney like.the old.days.
I like it, I won't donate to the RAF, won't buy season tickets and spend that money on stubhub for some of those away games. Add in a couple 4 packs for some conf. home games and I come out ahead. All joking aside, I would take adding two of them away to a schedule similar to what we have now.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I love the idea.

Maryland
Georgetown
West Virginia
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
UNC

All road games.

For the record I can't find a single season where Chaney scheduled more than 4 road games in the OOC. not counting Big 5 or Neutral site games