Crazy scheduling question

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I have an idea. Let's tax the 25 biggest donors 62% and rest of us get in free? wouldn't that work?
Well, if you figure that it's almost necessary to donate to the VCU athletic fund before you get a real chance to buy season tickets (or so I have been told but could be wrong) that is sort of like a tax anyway......but to a worthy cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcu70ram
Dec 2, 2012
Yeah, for a program like ours we need donation and ticket revenue. If we only play decent teams on the road then we miss out on marque OOC home games. If schools know that we will take buy games at some schools then they will want the same and no one worth a darn will come to the Stu.
I assume because we sell out the Stu we make more at home than what the buygames would pay us, but for smaller schools the buy game is worth while?

Dec 2, 2012
Well, if you figure that it's almost necessary to donate to the VCU athletic fund before you get a real chance to buy season tickets (or so I have been told but could be wrong) that is sort of like a tax anyway......but to a worthy cause.
Pretty sure they still had season tickets at the start of this year, so its not like they have a waiting list.(Not now anyway)

Reactions: Ramaholic

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I love the idea.

Maryland
Georgetown
West Virginia
Villanova
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State
UNC

All road games.

I dont care if we pay, it will pay dividends in march.

Jon Chaney philosophy of scheduling all the way.

I'll go one further...see if you can schedule one.of.them in march...before the conference tourney like.the old.days.
While I wouldn't mind playing these teams on the road... and they'd make for nice little small road trips.... I'd prefer not to have them all in the same season. You see how people on this site, Facebook, twitter & others act if we lose a game that we could've won (see Purdue & Tennessee threads I'm sure)…. what would this place be like if we played all 8 of those teams you mentioned in the same season & went less than .500 combined against those 8 teams?

You know how much b!**hing, whining, fans jumping off the wagon screaming "our season is over".... would happen? Is that really what you want?

Not to mention, if we are going to start scheduling multiple P5 teams in true road games in the same season.... don't you think we should start winning our Neutral site games first? I mean what good is scheduling a team like Purdue or Tennessee at their place.... if we can't even beat them on a neutral court? Same with Florida State & Duke in previous early tournaments.

Sure it'd be cool from a fan perspective cause you'd get to go & experience other arenas & what their atmosphere is like during a game... compared to ours... but it would do little to nothing for our resume if we didn't actually win a couple of the games.

And then as others mentioned, if you did all these OOC Road games... it would hurt donations/ ticket revenue for VCU.... again is this really what you want?

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
While I wouldn't mind playing these teams on the road... and they'd make for nice little small road trips.... I'd prefer not to have them all in the same season. You see how people on this site, Facebook, twitter & others act if we lose a game that we could've won (see Purdue & Tennessee threads I'm sure)…. what would this place be like if we played all 8 of those teams you mentioned in the same season & went less than .500 combined against those 8 teams?

You know how much b!**hing, whining, fans jumping off the wagon screaming "our season is over".... would happen? Is that really what you want?

Not to mention, if we are going to start scheduling multiple P5 teams in true road games in the same season.... don't you think we should start winning our Neutral site games first? I mean what good is scheduling a team like Purdue or Tennessee at their place.... if we can't even beat them on a neutral court? Same with Florida State & Duke in previous early tournaments.

Sure it'd be cool from a fan perspective cause you'd get to go & experience other arenas & what their atmosphere is like during a game... compared to ours... but it would do little to nothing for our resume if we didn't actually win a couple of the games.

And then as others mentioned, if you did all these OOC Road games... it would hurt donations/ ticket revenue for VCU.... again is this really what you want?
Using this year's team:

Maryland - loss
Georgetown - win
West Virginia - pick'em
Villanova - loss
Virginia- pick'em
Tech - win
NC state - pick'em.
UNC - loss

Record could be anywhere from 2 to 5-3 , most likely 4-4.

I'll take it.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Using this year's team:

Maryland - loss
Georgetown - win
West Virginia - pick'em
Villanova - loss
Virginia- pick'em
Tech - win
NC state - pick'em.
UNC - loss

Record could be anywhere from 2 to 5-3 , most likely 4-4.

I'll take it.
I would put Tech as a pick em also honestly

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I assume because we sell out the Stu we make more at home than what the buygames would pay us, but for smaller schools the buy game is worth while?
Yes, some schools make more money selling tickets and some make more taking buy games. We make money through donations and ticket sales, so we need a certain amount of home games and an attractive schedule to keep that money coming in.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk
Dec 2, 2012
Yes, some schools make more money selling tickets and some make more taking buy games. We make money through donations and ticket sales, so we need a certain amount of home games and an attractive schedule to keep that money coming in.
Well, since it looks like navy Hill will be rammed down our throats, maybe we can have a 4 team Commonwealth Tourney every year. US, UVA and whomever else in the state that looks good to fill in the other two slots.
We could call it a Neutral site.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I wouldn't. They are vulnerable inside as demonstrated dayton and Georgia. Their wings aren't as athletic as Tennessee.
Maybe so, but they also beat a solid Michigan state.... and sure they lost to Dayton... but Dayton is no scrub.... I'd still put Tech as a pick em game, especially if we are at Tech.