Crowdsourcing some story research. VCU/Minn. in '70

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
I'm doing some research on a possible story on a VCU-Minnesota game on Dec. 28, 1970 at Franklin St. Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody on here was actually there (or knows people that were there). If you were there and have any proof of said game (game program, ticket stub, etc.) that would be an obvious added bonus. Looking for a couple people who can share their memories of said contest.

Again, that's a Dec. 28, 1970 game between VCU and Minnesota at Franklin Street Gym. Rams won 63-56 in OT.

Thanks

ck

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member
I've always been interested in this game. I was born 18 years later, and couldn't find much info. Let me know how it goes and good luck on your research!

I saw the game played at what was at the time the new Franklin Street gym full house of fans and a huge win for the Rams. Don't remember all the details but we took it to them. Most big name teams avoided playing us at home and this loss to Minn was exactly why. I think Jesse dark, Supernard Harris and Dave Edwards played on this team and it was a run and gun team. Long time ago so I may be wrong about the players but it was a huge upset.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I'm doing some research on a possible story on a VCU-Minnesota game on Dec. 28, 1970 at Franklin St. Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody on here was actually there (or knows people that were there). If you were there and have any proof of said game (game program, ticket stub, etc.) that would be an obvious added bonus. Looking for a couple people who can share their memories of said contest.

Again, that's a Dec. 28, 1970 game between VCU and Minnesota at Franklin Street Gym. Rams won 63-56 in OT.

Thanks

ck

Larry Rolando can tell you all about it. He lives in the Richmond area and is a season ticket holder. He would be the best source that I know and has told me about the early days.

One question to ask: was Hall of Fame baseball player Dave Winfield present for Minnesota? He would have been on the team at this time.

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
One question to ask: was Hall of Fame baseball player Dave Winfield present for Minnesota? He would have been on the team at this time.

No. He was not on the team until the next year.

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
Larry Rolando can tell you all about it. He lives in the Richmond area and is a season ticket holder. He would be the best source that I know and has told me about the early days.

Do you have any contact info for him you can PM?

Was Tim Binns who transferred from Minnesota later to VCU on the team?

I'll have to check.

RamBo

Elite Member
Wow. Awesome. Killer reference also- on the Dave Winfield question. One of my all-time faves- if not my all-time favorite baseball player. I'd list Dave Winfield, Robin Yount, Freddy Lynne, and Johnny Bench as all-time favorites. And probably 4 or 5 others. Ron Guidry, The Goose, Tom Seaver, Rollie Fingers & Nolan Ryan- from the pitchers mound. And a few more. Anyway- love Dave Winfield. I never thought about whether or not he was at that game at FSG. Cool !

rollins77

Elite Member
Insider
Wow. Awesome. Killer reference also- on the Dave Winfield question. One of my all-time faves- if not my all-time favorite baseball player. I'd list Dave Winfield, Robin Yount, Freddy Lynne, and Johnny Bench as all-time favorites. And probably 4 or 5 others. Ron Guidry, The Goose, Tom Seaver, Rollie Fingers & Nolan Ryan- from the pitchers mound. And a few more. Anyway- love Dave Winfield. I never thought about whether or not he was at that game at FSG. Cool !

Yeah, I got excited for a sec when I thought Winfield might've been in that game, but to no avail.

I am Dewey Searcy and a friend of Larry Rolando. I talked to Larry tonight and we decided that I would respond. We were both at the game. I remember Jim Brewer. And I am pretty sure that was the same nucleus of players on the Minnesota team that got into a huge brawl the next season with Ohio State. OSU center Luke Witte was injured pretty badly. As for our game, I just remember how loud it was. We had the "New York connection"players such as Reggie Cain, a smooth guard with a pretty jump shot and Greg McDougald, I want to say around 6'8 kind of in the Kenny Stancil mold build wise. I think some other new yorkers on that team were guards Howie Robertson and Dave Edwards. McDougald guarded Brewer if I recall. I hate to even perpetuate this kind of thing but the legend around the game was that Minnesota thought they were coming to play UVA. No substantiation that I ever heard about but the legend was definitely circulating. Between Larry and me that is about all we can offer. The T-D archives may have a box score/article. Good luck with your research.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
Wasn't that the game where UMinn thought they were playing UVA and not VCU. Before my time.