Dave Benedict and UConn

Mar 1, 2015
Sad and pathetic. What a mess. Seems like they will cut out everything except the cancer itself. Weird. The state built a stadium for them that is useless otherwise, so I guess they keep digging.

Don’t really get why it is the interests of public universities to field non revenue sports nobody goes to. I like and respect all athletics, but lacrosse, track, soccer can all be done on a student’s own dime. Big investment for the benefit of a handful of people.

rf1

Aug 30, 2014
UConn Athletics has one of the most unusual operations in all of college sports. The majority of games played by its high profile teams take place some 25+ miles off campus:

Football - all home games at Rentschler Field in E Hartford
Men's Hockey - nearly every home game played at the XL Center in Hartford
Men's Basketball - approx half the home games are played at the XL Center in Hartford
Women's Basketball - approx half the home games are played at the XL Center in Hartford

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sad and pathetic. What a mess. Seems like they will cut out everything except the cancer itself. Weird. The state built a stadium for them that is useless otherwise, so I guess they keep digging.

Don’t really get why it is the interests of public universities to field non revenue sports nobody goes to. I like and respect all athletics, but lacrosse, track, soccer can all be done on a student’s own dime. Big investment for the benefit of a handful of people.
Well, it depends on who the sports are for. If they're for the benefit of the student-athlete, then giving students in all kinds of sports an opportunity is ideal. If they're for the benefit of the public, then only sports that are financially self-supporting make sense.

So I guess we know whose benefit UConn thinks sports are for. ☹

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009

The problem is... it's different at every university. Look at WBB for example.... at most universities you could most definitely say they are not a big revenue generating sport.... but at a school like UConn... I'm sure it is.

Look at Volleyball.... how many schools would you say generate any sort of significant revenue on Volleyball? Penn State maybe & who else?

What about a school like Alabama? Is Basketball really a source of revenue at that school over the long haul? Or is it their football program the one that helps bring in the money for the school, with their storied history? I think the answer is obvious. So under that logic, should any other athlete at that school get scholarships?

So look at VCU.... how many sports would you say generate any sort of significant revenue at VCU? Easy- 1... Mens Basketball. So, under your logic, if that's the case, why should any other athletes at VCU get scholarships? Right?

Well how is that fair to every other student athlete at VCU who doesn't play MBB? Especially if some of them are more superior at their sport than a player(s) on our MBB team is at MBB. Heck, at that point why even bother have other sports?

Also, as you can see from the examples above, in sports winning helps solve a lot of of problems... not all, but A LOT of problems.

If every school only gave scholarships to the sports that generate significant amounts of money.... you'd have a lot less college athletes & schools would have a lot less sports at their school.

Reactions: Ramaholic