David Shriver Is A Ram!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
In a binary world yes. In a non-binary world no. Shots are situational, and there are many variables. Such as who is shooting the 3's, when are they firing the shots, how they are being defended, and what were the results when they focused on 3's.

If you take a good look at the stats in conference games only 3 guys demonstrated proficiency shooting 3's. Vince, AB, and Tso. Nunn shot better OOC than in conference.

Again, Coaching plays a huge part its not just "hold it high and let em fly".
If we had a good offense, then there might be merit to your argument.

When you have a mediocre to bad offense while shooting the ball well on 3 pointers and not taking many of them, there’s a problem with the design of your offense. When you pass up good shots early in the shot clock only to force up a worse shot as the shot clock runs out, there’s a problem with your offensive philosophy.

The 3 point shot is an integral part of modern offenses and we don’t use it effectively. When you have 4 guys shooting above 35% on 3 pointers, you need to be running the offense to get your team more than 16 three pointers a game.

Mistachill

Elite Member
It wasn’t, I believe they bought that house in 2012. Someone told me he lived in Salisbury in Chesterfield initially but I don’t know if that’s true.

It’s a beautiful house and they had a lot of work done on it. CBS filmed the Men of March special there. That whole thing was why I was so surprised he left when he did. I don’t think they actually sold the house for a few months.
I don't know where he lived when he arrived in Richmond. However, I vividly remember that first year when the team struggled and posters were roasting him about everything including not living in the fan when he initially said he would during the intro press conference.

Mercury

Elite Member
I don't know where he lived when he arrived in Richmond. However, I vividly remember that first year when the team struggled and posters were roasting him about everything including not living in the fan when he initially said he would during the intro press conference.

Ah, I remember MorrisAR and his band of merry men leading that charge against Shaka.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Ah, I remember MorrisAR and his band of merry men leading that charge against Shaka.
YES! That's the dude! Funny, how he disappeared around the final four run. Almost like he would've preferred that we stunk and was proven right than do what we did.

SteveMM

Elite Member
If I'm being perfectly honest, I assumed that he would be playing with his back to the basket for VCU. I looked it up, and learned that he was listed as a power forward for Michigan. So, I suppose you're right. I still do wish we had a younger 4 on the roster, if two graduate seniors are going to be sharing the spot, with Johns sliding over to the 5 at times. Maybe that's what they'll do with the final scholarship spot. I think we're in good shape for everything else.

When you have a mediocre to bad offense while shooting the ball well on 3 pointers and not taking many of them, there’s a problem with the design of your offense. When you pass up good shots early in the shot clock only to force up a worse shot as the shot clock runs out, there’s a problem with your offensive philosophy.

The 3 point shot is an integral part of modern offenses and we don’t use it effectively. When you have 4 guys shooting above 35% on 3 pointers, you need to be running the offense to get your team more than 16 three pointers a game.
VCU was first in the A10 in fg%,
3rd in 3pt %. They took better 3s with their better shooters. They started focusing on getting into to lane and to the foul line. They became a better offensive team as a result.

Mercury

Elite Member
YES! That's the dude! Funny, how he disappeared around the final four run. Almost like he would've preferred that we stunk and was proven right than do what we did.

He was actually a cool dude in real life. Never understood why he felt the need to play up the online persona.

rammad90

Elite Member

Problem is you didnt have 4 guys shooting 35% when the games counted the most. You had 3 guys shooting at that percentage and one of them rarely played with the other two. Also you have got to remember what led to those shots. Maybe the offense that you seem to want bash.

If it were that simple to merely Jack up 3's and go fast on Offense Loyola Marymount would have had multiple titles, and VMI would be a to 20 program.

Mike knows what he is doing and every year he has been trying to add shooters. Fwiw, I am the only one who remembers we as a fan base had an issue with the guys just jacking up 3's early in the season? Remember AB came back and they played more in control and oh they won more as well.

Ovis fan

Elite Member
Insider
A possible reason for not shooting more threes may have been that our offensive rebounding was horrid. Perhaps a better strategy was to go for higher percentage twos.

rampart

Elite Member
A possible reason for not shooting more threes may have been that our offensive rebounding was horrid. Perhaps a better strategy was to go for higher percentage twos.
I think our lack of a consistent inside scoring threat allowed our opponents to keep pressure on our perimeter players. Also, it looked to me like we sacrificed offensive rebounds to get our defense back and set up quickly to stop transition baskets.

Last edited: