David Shriver Is A Ram!

HouseofBurgess20

Elite Member
Here's what I know about Shriver: he can shoot 3s. On the move, catch-and-shoot, in the corners, up top, on the wing. He shot ~41% in HS, ~41% in D2, ~41% in D1 @ Hartford. Sounds like he shoots 3s at about a 41% clip.

Here's what I don't know: can he play basketball. Can he defend? Can he set a pick or just work off one?

If he can do the latter, maybe he is Hancock, who was All-CAA 3d team for Mason. If not, well, he can shoot 3s at a 41% clip. That's not nothing.
That’s kind what I couldn’t remember. I remember Hancock being a floor spacer for Russ Smith and Siva. I just can’t recall how he did defensively or what other contributions he made to that team. I’m curious because Pitino’s teams played a similar style to our team defensively.

That’s kind what I couldn’t remember. I remember Hancock being a floor spacer for Russ Smith and Siva. I just can’t recall how he did defensively or what other contributions he made to that team. I’m curious because Pitino’s teams played a similar style to our team defensively.
if Shriver can come anywhere close to the contributions of Hancock, he will be a great add

Hancock was on the a10 rookie team in his first year and in his second year was third team all a-10 - his contributions were scoring, defending, passing

Shriver did not make any similar team in the America East last season but he was on FIRE in 4 of his last 5 games with Hartford -

I see him as a piece of the puzzle that can be a high volume shooter from deep when the situation requires - seems to have that shooter mentality of a few misses mean nothing to him and the next shot is going in - like many here gotta believe he will see open looks if Ace/Nunn and others can break down the D with penetration

from the one video I watched vs Albany - Shriver has a quick release and gets his feet ready to shoot when the ball is moving toward him but did not see a lot of movement in the game (though Albany played lots of zone) I didn't get the sense that he is a Havoc ready defender from the video but stayed between his man and the basket for the most part in that game - so Who Knows

Go Rams and good luck Mr Shriver

BradRamFan

Elite Member
You can watch a couple of his full games from Hartford's recent tournament to get a sense of his defensive style. Granted, VCU plays an elevated level of defense but you can at least see if David plays defense and how well he does it (hint: he does). Will it translate to VCU...who knows. But the kid does have 4 years of college level playing experience (albeit 3 years at DII and 1 year at weak D1).
David really came on in the latter half of the season for Hartford as far as points but also rebounds. He was a bit more inconsistent in the early part of the season.....but that could be a combination of being new to D1 as well as developing chemistry and trust with the other players on the team in getting him in a good position to make good shots.

Last edited:
You can watch a couple of his full games from Hartford's recent tournament to get a sense of his defensive style. Granted, VCU plays an elevated level of defense but you can at least see if David plays defense and how well he does it (hint: he does). Will it translate to VCU...who knows.
I watched some highlight films too of games (only full game I found was Albany - so post another or two if you have links and I will watch ) and what I saw was he follows his man around the court and positionally stays between the basket and his man - saw him playing behind his man when getting posted down low (limited to no effort to deny entry pass but small sample I must admit and I doubt he will be guarding too many 6'8" bigs down low with our size inside)
what raised my biggest questions is I never saw him help out on a driver to the rim and take a charge etc or use his length to get in passing lanes and deflect passes- which in our Ram defense is necessary because we get in scrambling mode a lot when we double team the ball out front - also was slow to close out on the open shooter from deep in any video I saw of him in that role

As an aside, I really enjoy watching NBA playoff Defense and how they rotate and close out on open shooters for the most part

I have no problem with signing role players like David S - it is a nice luxury when you have the depth we do (at least on paper) that we can target specific roles and don't always need a jack of all trades

Go Rams and David S

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I watched some highlight films too of games (only full game I found was Albany - so post another or two if you have links and I will watch ) and what I saw was he follows his man around the court and positionally stays between the basket and his man - saw him playing behind his man when getting posted down low (limited to no effort to deny entry pass but small sample I must admit and I doubt he will be guarding too many 6'8" bigs down low with our size inside)
what raised my biggest questions is I never saw him help out on a driver to the rim and take a charge etc or use his length to get in passing lanes and deflect passes- which in our Ram defense is necessary because we get in scrambling mode a lot when we double team the ball out front - also was slow to close out on the open shooter from deep in any video I saw of him in that role

As an aside, I really enjoy watching NBA playoff Defense and how they rotate and close out on open shooters for the most part

I have no problem with signing role players like David S - it is a nice luxury when you have the depth we do (at least on paper) that we can target specific roles and don't always need a jack of all trades

Go Rams and David S
Five minutes of matchup zone = five minutes of Shrivel. I'm good with it.

RAMification

Elite Member
I would love to hear @RAMification tell us what he knows about this player.

Sorry I am late with a response. I have been on the road a great deal lately. With respect to David, I really like that he is joining Ramnation. He was one of the top perimeter shooters in the portal and should fill a real need. The coaches decided to target him and went after him hard. He was not a consolation prize by any means. I love his size to go along with his shooting ability. If he works real hard this summer and gets in top condition I think he can be a tremendous help. We did not need a starter but rather a pure 3-point shooter who can come in and light it up. I understand he has a high basketball IQ so hopefully he can adapt relatively quickly.

Some posters need to revert back to recruiting 101. You can't have 13 starters. It just does not work that way. You have your core group(starters) and then you need a deep bench with complementary role players. Some of these guys need to have the ability to be starters moving forward. It seems like when we sign a kid who was highly rated in high school but did not have eye popping numbers at the highest P6 level the coaches are criticized because of the lack of production. We sign a kid from the low/mid level who was productive and the coaches are questioned because of the level he played at. I actually think we have had a fantastic recruiting year albeit on paper at this point. Two top 100 high schoolers, one a big, two Portal guys that were top 50-60 in high school, one of the best shooters in the portal, and lastly an uber athletic big-man with tremendous upside albeit raw at the present time. Of the Portal guys I am particularly excited about Zeb. He has at least 3-years and likely if he pursues it 4-years of eligibility. I think he has a chance to be big-time here.

Always enjoy your posts Jim.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
I think Shriver will get hot and win us a few games this year. I am really high on Zeb. I believe he will run the 2nd unit and will be set up to start with Nunn once Ace graduates. Johns is a better fit than Levi and is a total vet, will be good for leadership/locker room.

I don't believe Tobi is as raw as people are claiming he is. British basketball just doesn't get any respect here in the states. Some people are so athletic it doesn't matter if they lack skill they find a way to dominate anyway. Look at Giannis when he came to the league a lot of people didn't think he'd become the dominant MVP championship baller he is. ( And in no way am I claiming Tobi to be next Giannis) Just saying, sometimes world class athleticism can beat skill.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Doesnt he actually have 3 years. I thought the Covid year didnt count. Now whether or not he uses the extra year is another question.
He has 2 years with the option for a third due to COVID, but he would count toward our scholarship limit if he uses it. The exception that allowed people using the COVID year not to count was for this past season only.

rammad90

Elite Member
He has 2 years with the option for a third due to COVID, but he would count toward our scholarship limit if he uses it. The exception that allowed people using the COVID year not to count was for this past season only.
Understood all that. However, the question was how many years does he have. Answer 3 now he may not use them at VCU (however, hardly doubt that if he wanted to stay he'd be asked to move on) but he has 3 more years of college eligibility none the less.