Recruiting Dereon Seabron (Closed)

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Meh. We'll see. I really liked Seabron's size. Think he'd have killed it for us. Now he won't.

Moving on

Reactions: mrgeode

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
We all knew it would happen regardless of what you try to tell yourself. The moment the early signing period was over and Dereon was still on the board, it told the tale of a kid who was looking for P5 offers.

Aside from pg duties, McAllister appears to be more productive offensively. So in respect I am thankful. Let's hope Tre's late bloomer status continues to shine and he turns out to be what he appears to be.

In the meantime, we have another year of Evans with PJ developing his skills. PJ is getting more time on the court, making fewer mistakes, and is now starting to take some shots (with success).....and remember, he is only a freshman. Not even Maynor was the man his first year out....we just saw flashes.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Seabron, in my opinion, felt like he was holding out for bigger schools the entire time. He seemed to really love the idea that P5 schools were recruiting him. Pitt & NC State only just got involved and he put both in his top-5. I personally thought he was gonna pull the trigger on Providence, because he seemed to celebrate them a bit on social media (didn't really do the same for us), but ultimately sided with the highest-ranked (top-20) ACC school. If you're an 18-year old...do you maybe do the same thing?

Either way, compare that with Tre Clark. Clark basically had a similar experience, going largely unnoticed until just recently (so his recruitment heated up after Seabron's). Seabron opted to wait for offers to come pouring, then after he had a pile of ACC offers, pulled the trigger on the current top P5 school that offered him. Clark on the other hand was getting a very serious look from UVA, who visited him TWICE this week. But Clark didn't mess around and wait. He was offered by VCU two weeks ago, visited campus during our La Salle game...then committed. He could've done exactly what Seabron was doing and again, he had UVA kicking his tires, but instead, he pulled the trigger on VCU because he knew he liked it.

Dereon seems like a good kid, he's got a VERY high ceiling and I wish him luck. Ultimately however, we got a guy early that top teems were just starting to find out about, but he didn't hesitate to choose us. That's basically the type of dudes you want.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Seabron, in my opinion, felt like he was holding out for bigger schools the entire time. He seemed to really love the idea that P5 schools were recruiting him. Pitt & NC State only just got involved and he put both in his top-5. I personally thought he was gonna pull the trigger on Providence, because he seemed to celebrate them a bit on social media (didn't really do the same for us), but ultimately sided with the highest-ranked (top-20) ACC school. If you're an 18-year old...do you maybe do the same thing?

Either way, compare that with Tre Clark. Clark basically had a similar experience, going largely unnoticed until just recently (so his recruitment heated up after Seabron's). Seabron opted to wait for offers to come pouring, then after he had a pile of ACC offers, pulled the trigger on the current top P5 school that offered him. Clark on the other hand was getting a very serious look from UVA, who visited him TWICE this week. But Clark didn't mess around and wait. He was offered by VCU two weeks ago, visited campus during our La Salle game...then committed. He could've done exactly what Seabron was doing and again, he had UVA kicking his tires, but instead, he pulled the trigger on VCU because he knew he liked it.

Dereon seems like a good kid, he's got a VERY high ceiling and I wish him luck. Ultimately however, we got a guy early that top teems were just starting to find out about, but he didn't hesitate to choose us. That's basically the type of dudes you want.
Let's also not lose sight that Clark is only a verbal. We still need to get to the signing period and get him signed. Just saying.

Jul 30, 2014
I'm guessing he's not hooked on playing PG since they have Jalen Leque coming in next year