Recruiting Dereon Seabron (Closed)

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Seabron, in my opinion, felt like he was holding out for bigger schools the entire time. He seemed to really love the idea that P5 schools were recruiting him. Pitt & NC State only just got involved and he put both in his top-5. I personally thought he was gonna pull the trigger on Providence, because he seemed to celebrate them a bit on social media (didn't really do the same for us), but ultimately sided with the highest-ranked (top-20) ACC school. If you're an 18-year old...do you maybe do the same thing?

Either way, compare that with Tre Clark. Clark basically had a similar experience, going largely unnoticed until just recently (so his recruitment heated up after Seabron's). Seabron opted to wait for offers to come pouring, then after he had a pile of ACC offers, pulled the trigger on the current top P5 school that offered him. Clark on the other hand was getting a very serious look from UVA, who visited him TWICE this week. But Clark didn't mess around and wait. He was offered by VCU two weeks ago, visited campus during our La Salle game...then committed. He could've done exactly what Seabron was doing and again, he had UVA kicking his tires, but instead, he pulled the trigger on VCU because he knew he liked it.

Dereon seems like a good kid, he's got a VERY high ceiling and I wish him luck. Ultimately however, we got a guy early that top teems were just starting to find out about, but he didn't hesitate to choose us. That's basically the type of dudes you want.
I find the recruiting of kids like Dereon a bit of a puzzlement. He was really good his junior year of high school, I saw him play then against my old high school Oscar Smith. I wanted to see the freshman phenom at Smith Cameron Thomas (now at Oak Hill) and ended up really impressed with Seabron. Did no one actually see him play back then (thinking about coaches, talent scouts...)? He played every position on the court back then and played them all well, he burned us for 25 or 30, lead both teams in rebounding and played some really nice D too. Maybe people were scared off because he was 6'5" and maybe 165 soaking wet, but college weight rooms can change that in a hurry. I thought he was a D1 player as our coach says, without a doubt.

Reactions: RamSwag

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I find the recruiting of kids like Dereon a bit of a puzzlement. He was really good his junior year of high school, I saw him play then against my old high school Oscar Smith. I wanted to see the freshman phenom at Smith Cameron Thomas (now at Oak Hill) and ended up really impressed with Seabron. Did no one actually see him play back then (thinking about coaches, talent scouts...)? He played every position on the court back then and played them all well, he burned us for 25 or 30, lead both teams in rebounding and played some really nice D too. Maybe people were scared off because he was 6'5" and maybe 165 soaking wet, but college weight rooms can change that in a hurry. I thought he was a D1 player as our coach says, without a doubt.
The NC State message board is saying he is in the post graduate program at Massanutten because of academics. Not sure if that is true, but the extra year in a post graduate program won't hurt him on the court either. Could also explain why he didn't sign with anyone early if it was academics.

May 19, 2015
Seabron, in my opinion, felt like he was holding out for bigger schools the entire time. He seemed to really love the idea that P5 schools were recruiting him. Pitt & NC State only just got involved and he put both in his top-5. I personally thought he was gonna pull the trigger on Providence, because he seemed to celebrate them a bit on social media (didn't really do the same for us), but ultimately sided with the highest-ranked (top-20) ACC school. If you're an 18-year old...do you maybe do the same thing?

Either way, compare that with Tre Clark. Clark basically had a similar experience, going largely unnoticed until just recently (so his recruitment heated up after Seabron's). Seabron opted to wait for offers to come pouring, then after he had a pile of ACC offers, pulled the trigger on the current top P5 school that offered him. Clark on the other hand was getting a very serious look from UVA, who visited him TWICE this week. But Clark didn't mess around and wait. He was offered by VCU two weeks ago, visited campus during our La Salle game...then committed. He could've done exactly what Seabron was doing and again, he had UVA kicking his tires, but instead, he pulled the trigger on VCU because he knew he liked it.

Dereon seems like a good kid, he's got a VERY high ceiling and I wish him luck. Ultimately however, we got a guy early that top teems were just starting to find out about, but he didn't hesitate to choose us. That's basically the type of dudes you want.
Natty, I wish that you would share this story on the Tre Clark thread as there are a very very few who don't quite understand just how blessed we are to have Tre Clark verbally commit to VCU. I know that 99.9% of RAMNATION is absolutely elated of this fantastic news. Just a thought.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Looks like Dereon Seabron will not play this year for NC State due to academics. He was in the post graduate program at Massanutten because of academic issues prior to signing with NC State. So happy that VCU did not sign this kid considering all of the academic issues he has.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Looks like Dereon Seabron will not play this year for NC State due to academics. He was in the post graduate program at Massanutten because of academic issues prior to signing with NC State. So happy that VCU did not sign this kid considering all of the academic issues he has.

It's amazing how many hs and aau coaches on twitter post a message that players need to pay attention to academics if they want a D1 offer yet social media continues to littered with stories of academically ineligible freshmen.

Seaborn and 7'3 guy a florida st are two vcu recruited. I've come to the conclusion that vcu stayed away from Joel Kambimba due to his 980 sat score.

The vcu coaching staff knows what they are doing.

May 4, 2012
It's amazing how many hs and aau coaches on twitter post a message that players need to pay attention to academics if they want a D1 offer yet social media continues to littered with stories of academically ineligible freshmen.

Seaborn and 7'3 guy a florida st are two vcu recruited. I've come to the conclusion that vcu stayed away from Joel Kambimba due to his 980 sat score.

The vcu coaching staff knows what they are doing.
they need to be up front with these people or they lose face

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
The post pertained to hs aau coaches, the these people would be college recruiters.
Not my world so I’m talking out my rear, and about programs in general.

hs and aau people are selling their kids and their programs overall talent and reputation to the recruiters, maybe some could be doing more than that (like selling academics to the kids etc), I’d bet some so more than others

Ultimately though, up to the college to vet the player for qualification. And, the kids have to do their part too.

now if a large number of kids from a certain hs/aau program are having problems, I can see that as a red flag. I’d bet it wouldn’t stop most colleges from at least looking at a kid though. yeah, if it got bad enough the hs/aau could lose face if not worse at least as far as some colleges are concerned.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
I think we’re all saying pretty much the same thing:) to break it down in thirds:
Hs/aau coaches/programs
Players
College recruiters/coaches/programs

They all want what’s best, with different definitions of best.

Program A trusts hs/aau to sell a ballin’ one and done that may have baggage, can/able to take chances.
*everything in between*
Program Z trusts hs/aau to sell a maybe not so ballin’ player that will stick around, be problem free, can’t/not able to take chances

the three constantly mix and match to come up with their preferred risk/reward scenario; At some point from A to Z the trigger is pulled

NC State would be a lot closer to the above Program A than VCU for example. I’m more than fine with where we are on my imaginary spectrum.

May 4, 2012
I think we’re all saying pretty much the same thing:) to break it down in thirds:
Hs/aau coaches/programs
Players
College recruiters/coaches/programs

They all want what’s best, with different definitions of best.

Program A trusts hs/aau to sell a ballin’ one and done that may have baggage, can/able to take chances.
*everything in between*
Program Z trusts hs/aau to sell a maybe not so ballin’ player that will stick around, be problem free, can’t/not able to take chances

the three constantly mix and match to come up with their preferred risk/reward scenario; At some point from A to Z the trigger is pulled

NC State would be a lot closer to the above Program A than VCU for example. I’m more than fine with where we are on my imaginary spectrum.
I would say that, yes, everyone wants the best for the player but recruiters expect coach to be honest in his evaluation as regards skills/weaknesses and academics as they pertain to NCAA standards. If a coach oversells a player who is going to believe him the next time ? Note that said coach may be discussing his player or a well known opponent player as well.