Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Just an update on the new Coliseum.

Some local corporate leaders including Dominion submitted the lone proposal for the new Coliseum. Really hope this works out because I think the city is really ready for it. Downtown is rapidly improving and I think this would send the speed of that into hyperspace.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/dominion-energy-ceo-led-group-submits-lone-proposal-to-replace/article_a9f4a0ec-bbb4-592e-8afb-f51d9565a810.html

Would have so much fun going to a nice new city gem and watching some NCAA tournament regional action there. Then we get VCU working on that new Diamond and the city overall just becomes ridiculously nice. It's definitely on it's way. Glad I bought my house within city limits when I did.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Just an update on the new Coliseum.

Some local corporate leaders including Dominion submitted the lone proposal for the new Coliseum. Really hope this works out because I think the city is really ready for it. Downtown is rapidly improving and I think this would send the speed of that into hyperspace.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/dominion-energy-ceo-led-group-submits-lone-proposal-to-replace/article_a9f4a0ec-bbb4-592e-8afb-f51d9565a810.html

Would have so much fun going to a nice new city gem and watching some NCAA tournament regional action there. Then we get VCU working on that new Diamond and the city overall just becomes ridiculously nice. It's definitely on it's way. Glad I bought my house within city limits when I did.
I hope it all comes to pass. Would be so nice to have that revival downtown. It’s come so far already, and a new Coliseum and Diamond would be the cherries on top.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I hope it all comes to pass. Would be so nice to have that revival downtown. It’s come so far already, and a new Coliseum and Diamond would be the cherries on top.
Downtown is very much in the middle of a very real revival, which is fun to watch and experience. I know multiple people who have started businesses (and not galleries, I'm talking retail and hotel biz) on Broad St. downtown, which is something that seemed almost unfathomable when I started at VCU in '03.

Having a new arena down there, more housing and hotels (which I think are vital...need bodies down there consistently) is just going to bring in more and more business. There's no stopping it now really.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Downtown is very much in the middle of a very real revival, which is fun to watch and experience. I know multiple people who have started businesses (and not galleries, I'm talking retail and hotel biz) on Broad St. downtown, which is something that seemed almost unfathomable when I started at VCU in '03.

Having a new arena down there, more housing and hotels (which I think are vital...need bodies down there consistently) is just going to bring in more and more business. There's no stopping it now really.
I’ve worked downtown since 1984. This resurgence feels real. Not 6th Street Marketplace real, but REAL. All the apartments and people choosing to live downtown, the restaurants, hotels, etc. feels so exciting!

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I’ve worked downtown since 1984. This resurgence feels real. Not 6th Street Marketplace real, but REAL. All the apartments and people choosing to live downtown, the restaurants, hotels, etc. feels so exciting!
It's most definitely real. It's been moving along with basically the Coliseum area being a dud. You redevelop that chunk of land and more businesses just fly into that area.

Would be curious to see how VCU would get involved too since that area is basically on the MCV campus.

Dec 2, 2012
For Everyone hating on the city of Richmond, I think Stoney is a worker and can get some things done.
The city has a lot of long term issues, in that you have some entrenched people,,and the growing rich/poor divide is a bigger issue but at least the city has an energetic mayor

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I can tell you from previous experience that the atmosphere at the coliseum with the first two rounds of the NCAA tourney is like the Stu on steroids.
I was there both times the Coliseum hosted, and you hit the nail on the head. It was fantastic, particularly when that kid shattered the backboard against UNC.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
I was there both times the Coliseum hosted, and you hit the nail on the head. It was fantastic, particularly when that kid shattered the backboard against UNC.
A long delay, but worth it to see it live. Was that , Ham? Faint memories so might be off all the way around The other basketball that was great to witness there was the Women’s Final Four

Reactions: Ramlove81 and HBK

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
A long delay, but worth it to see it live. Was that , Ham? Faint memories so might be off all the way around The other basketball that was great to witness there was the Women’s Final Four
Replying to self. Yes Darcie Hamm. Texas Texh it will come up on UTube

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Darvin Hamm right? Texas Tech

Edit--someone beat me to the punch.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Darvin Hamm right? Texas Tech

Edit--someone beat me to the punch.
. I can’t remember most of what I learned in school, but his name popped in my head as soon as that incident was mentioned. I probably Tom the story a thousand times that week so maybe that explains it.

Reactions: PRock