Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

BillD2007

Top Member
Jan 17, 2013
A long delay, but worth it to see it live. Was that , Ham? Faint memories so might be off all the way around The other basketball that was great to witness there was the Women’s Final Four
Charlotte Smith gets the ball...shoots...nothing but net. Was there in person when it happened. Great inbounds play right there...totally fooled La Tech into crowding down on the girl who'd been beating up on them-thus leaving Smith open for a wide spanking open three point shot.

Reactions: PRock
May 1, 2009
Where is the 'new' Diamond supposed to be....in the same place? I thought the major problem with that area (excluding the stadium itself) was that drainage was terrible and would be difficult and costly to remedy.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Where is the 'new' Diamond supposed to be....in the same place? I thought the major problem with that area (excluding the stadium itself) was that drainage was terrible and would be difficult and costly to remedy.
I think that is the drainage system they have in place. Not the land itself. I could be wrong though. It would likely be in the same general area though. On the other side of the parking lot.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Charlotte Smith gets the ball...shoots...nothing but net. Was there in person when it happened. Great inbounds play right there...totally fooled La Tech into crowding down on the girl who'd been beating up on them-thus leaving Smith open for a wide spanking open three point shot.
And the dunk by the other UNC player. Yep , Richmond hosted the NCAA’s well and the RC crowd was good for all those game. New Arabs will bring new opportunities for that. We shall see how it proceeds.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Crumbling schools and a system that doesn't graduate but maybe 60% of the kids going thru and they want to talk about a new coliseum ? Another meals tax maybe ??!!

Reactions: ChemE_Ram
Apr 28, 2009
Crumbling schools and a system that doesn't graduate but maybe 60% of the kids going thru and they want to talk about a new coliseum ? Another meals tax maybe ??!!
I get tired of the same lame argument about how the city is not putting money into schools....we just built a new high school Huguenot...new middle school MLK....new elementary school Oak Grove....you can only build so fast with the resources you have ....People always want to beat the Richmond City School system down but you know what I like to shed some light on the conversation....my son is a junior at Va. State...my daughter will be graduating from high school next year...my brother who is much older of course will be getting his PHD from Howard University this year....they all attended one of the best high schools in the nation and state....guess where that school is located....https://www.usnews.com/education/be...-schools/richmond-community-high-school-20598 Richmond Community High School.... You need other things to make a city functional besides schools....A old facility that is costing the city money and becoming an eyesore.....loosing its functionality and thus its appeal to attract events....This same excuse comes up time and time again from the city bashers that love to bash the city...my degree is in Urban Studies....I work at a job that deals with real estate transactions....I applaud the mayor...we finally have someone who has vision and foresight...for so long Richmond has been stagnant because of conservative slow moving and slow thinking people....why do you think Charlotte blew past us....It seems the most people who have something to say about the city don't event pay taxes in the city....I am happy that this project in all likelihood will move forward.....I'm sorry but your argument is old and played out ....It is not like the Mayor does not care about the schools...that's why they call it a city...multiple things going on and having to be addressed at the same time...I just hate when people bash the city...

Last edited:

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I think Mayor Stoney is in the right place at the right time. I’m encouraged by the new superintendent. I think Richmond is in the sweet spot to get things headed in the right direction.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Deb O

Top Member
Insider
Feb 3, 2010
I have been wanting a new Coliseum for years. Allowing the brown spaceship to decay only reflected on the city. My complaint with the mayor - when the Dominion Group came forward with their plans, all of a sudden, here comes Stoney with his grand plan for revitalization. It's all about legacy in the Richmond mayor's office. Unfortunately, the legacies seem to more about failure. It's only fitting that there was only one bid for the Coliseum. According to the RTD, the city has refused to name who has bid on what project. Frankly, when I read that Stoney said they had to review the bid to make certain to that it fit the "vision for the city" & costs, it struck terror in my heart. Here was a group that had previously stepped up, financing plan in hand, and it's all of a sudden the mayor's project. I'm not holding my breath.

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Sorry guys, but this is the same vibe that we got in the 70's and 80's. It worked for a while, people raped the process and filled their pockets, and then it failed. This is the problem we will have. Deb O is right. You can see the City officials lining up to get their cut. And then even if it gets built, as soon as they get their share, they will refuse to spend the money to keep it right.

Same story, different decade.

Dominion is also spending money out in Henrico. There is plenty of land there. If they feel like they are getting the stiff in the city, they should build a new stadium and Coliseum out there off Parham road. It is right in the middle of the county, at the intersections of two major highways, close to the +100k people in Hanover, and easy to get to from the City. And a lot less political strife.

Apr 28, 2009
Sorry guys, but this is the same vibe that we got in the 70's and 80's. It worked for a while, people raped the process and filled their pockets, and then it failed. This is the problem we will have. Deb O is right. You can see the City officials lining up to get their cut. And then even if it gets built, as soon as they get their share, they will refuse to spend the money to keep it right.

Same story, different decade.

Dominion is also spending money out in Henrico. There is plenty of land there. If they feel like they are getting the stiff in the city, they should build a new stadium and Coliseum out there off Parham road. It is right in the middle of the county, at the intersections of two major highways, close to the +100k people in Hanover, and easy to get to from the City. And a lot less political strife.
There is only so much up keep you can have....the city is supplementing the coliseum to the tune of 1 million a year....the counties don't contribute to that.....the counties benefit a lot from the city in a lot of ways but always seem to use the political disfunction angel as a reason not to put in to the pot... an arena in one of the surrounding counties wont happen because no one wants to absorb the cost....usually left to the city to figure out and be ridiculed in the process

Reactions: umwram

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Downtown is very much in the middle of a very real revival, which is fun to watch and experience. I know multiple people who have started businesses (and not galleries, I'm talking retail and hotel biz) on Broad St. downtown, which is something that seemed almost unfathomable when I started at VCU in '03.

Having a new arena down there, more housing and hotels (which I think are vital...need bodies down there consistently) is just going to bring in more and more business. There's no stopping it now really.
They took a real run at it 20 years before 2003. Not enough horsepower down there for it to survive. The concerts on Thursday were great. I think maybe this time it will work. I could care less who does it or gets the credit. The city is ready to blow Charlotte out of the water and it's high time for the city to take the crown (pun intended).

Last edited:

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
They took a real run at it 20 years before 2003. Not enough horsepower down there for it to survive. The concerts on Thursday were great. I think maybe this time it will work.
I’m basing my hopefulness on all the people (all ages) that are moving into all the apartments that are springing up downtown. I have three co-workers who live within two blocks of the office and walk to work each day. All the old bank buildings are being converted into apartments. All the new restaurants are bringing people from all around the area downtown in the evenings and on weekends. I don’t think the turn around will be fast, but it feels different. As I stated before, if the city government can stay out of its own way, it can happen.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I’m basing my hopefulness on all the people (all ages) that are moving into all the apartments that are springing up downtown. I have three co-workers who live within two blocks of the office and walk to work each day. All the old bank buildings are being converted into apartments. All the new restaurants are bringing people from all around the area downtown in the evenings and on weekends. I don’t think the turn around will be fast, but it feels different. As I stated before, if the city government can stay out of its own way, it can happen.
The voters will make it happen. City's fully ready now. Not back then, but definitely now.

Reactions: SpiderRAM and SWV

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
There is only so much up keep you can have....the city is supplementing the coliseum to the tune of 1 million a year....the counties don't contribute to that.....the counties benefit a lot from the city in a lot of ways but always seem to use the political disfunction angel as a reason not to put in to the pot... an arena in one of the surrounding counties wont happen because no one wants to absorb the cost....usually left to the city to figure out and be ridiculed in the process
If a major corporation proposed to build a site in one of the counties, the county involved would jump at it. Every area in this country where it has happened has seen business flock to the area where the new construction happened.

As for the political dysfunction, Gomer Pyle said- Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. The counties make decision based on what has happened in the past. And friend, the past is not great on this subject. Fifty years ago the City had a lot of pull. Today, there several times the population base in the metro counties. And they enjoy a better tax base.

I'm all for the City getting it's act together. But here is the problem. Most people outside the the City limits don't want to come into the City. In my age group, I'm the exception. I worked in the City for years, trying to control the drug/crime problems. There are very few places in the City where I feel uncomfortable (of course, I'm usually armed). When I mention to friends/neighbors about going to anywhere in the City to eat or go to an event, most look at me like I'm crazy. But I'm comfortable in the City, they are not. Hence the problem. If you can't make people feel safe going downtown, they won't. And if you give them an option where they can enjoy the same benefits without leaving the comforts of the where they live, they will stay.

As more jobs come to the City and more people want to live close to those jobs and entertainment, it should get better. But the proof will be in the pudding. And having been burned too many times in the past, it will become a wait and see proposition.

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I get tired of the same lame argument about how the city is not putting money into schools....we just built a new high school Huguenot...new middle school MLK....new elementary school Oak Grove....you can only build so fast with the resources you have ....People always want to beat the Richmond City School system down but you know what I like to shed some light on the conversation....my son is a junior at Va. State...my daughter will be graduating from high school next year...my brother who is much older of course will be getting his PHD from Howard University this year....they all attended one of the best high schools in the nation and state....guess where that school is located....https://www.usnews.com/education/be...-schools/richmond-community-high-school-20598 Richmond Community High School.... You need other things to make a city functional besides schools....A old facility that is costing the city money and becoming an eyesore.....loosing its functionality and thus its appeal to attract events....This same excuse comes up time and time again from the city bashers that love to bash the city...my degree is in Urban Studies....I work at a job that deals with real estate transactions....I applaud the mayor...we finally have someone who has vision and foresight...for so long Richmond has been stagnant because of conservative slow moving and slow thinking people....why do you think Charlotte blew past us....It seems the most people who have something to say about the city don't event pay taxes in the city....I am happy that this project in all likelihood will move forward.....I'm sorry but your argument is old and played out ....It is not like the Mayor does not care about the schools...that's why they call it a city...multiple things going on and having to be addressed at the same time...I just hate when people bash the city...

My argument is old and played out ? You typed this and then thought yeah it's a good thought ? Seriously, Richmonds school system is horrible beyond belief.

Schools are a key factor in attracting families and business to a locality (not event centers). You cannot have too good a school system. Richmonds suck balls .............. badly.... Fix that issue then worry about concert venues.

Let them eat cake , that's your thought on the matter ? That's the same concept as the first coliseum over 2,000 years ago. See how well that worked out ?

Multiple things going on ? They haven't solved a single thing much less multiple things, and now they want to add more taxes to restaurant patrons (already done once before).... strong concept strooooooong.... Please don't run for office.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008