Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

RAM7889

Top Member
Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Folks like me who live in Chesterfield help make up a large majority of the people who attend events there. In other words, Chesterfield should work with the city because their citizens benefit from having a regional facility. I don't know a single person who grew up in the surrounding counties that doesn't have memories of attending games at the baseball stadium or the coliseum. It would be a real tragedy if current families or future generations lose the opportunity to share memories at these type of venues because local leaders can't reach an agreement or work together.
I agree! But the political environment is toxic to that solution! Chesterfield wants to have more control over the money spent when supporting the RVA region, the City wants the money, but does not want to give any say to the county! The city burned bridges along time ago! Voters in Chesterfield are more concered about keeping the schools top notched then any regional cooperation! Unfortunately the city tried to be dominated when they had 100,000 less residents then Chesterfield! The problem was the city wanted the money, but were not willing to work with the counties! Sorry I did not want to get political in this forum! I just wish RVA could do a better job on regional issues!

Dec 2, 2012
You also have to consider the stadium was built in about six to seven months. That was probably the cheapest and quickest way to get it built.
didn't one of the Ukrops and one other rich guys just say "Yeah, let's split it" and they both just wrote out checks for it?

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I guess this means VCU graduation will continue to be held at convention center for the next decade? I still can't visualize how that worked with so many people.

If you offered up the coliseum for free would anyone take it and operate it as a venue?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I guess this means VCU graduation will continue to be held at convention center for the next decade? I still can't visualize how that worked with so many people.

If you offered up the coliseum for free would anyone take it and operate it as a venue?
I think the current coliseum is done. A lot of stuff has been taken out of it.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
If the mayor, and his group put forth a plan that wasn't an economic lie, maybe the plan would gain some traction. Purposefully underestimating costs is not a really good way to move forward.
Indeed, $600 million worth of deferred maintenance to city infrastructure is not the answer for building an arena. A regional authority to share costs is a better solution, like what's happening down in Hampton Roads:

Unfortunately, I don't think Henrico and Chesterfield are particularly interested.

Reactions: Ramaholic

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Indeed, $600 million worth of deferred maintenance to city infrastructure is not the answer for building an arena. A regional authority to share costs is a better solution, like what's happening down in Hampton Roads:

Unfortunately, I don't think Henrico and Chesterfield are particularly interested.
If you were a county board member, would you be ?

Feb 14, 2011

I don't think it's any big secret that all the surrounding counties want nothing to do with the City, not in it's current condition. There are a handful of people that burned bridges over the decades and until those few FINALLY leave, there's no interest in rebuilding a relationship.

Reactions: RAM7889