Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

Apr 28, 2009
My argument is old and played out ? You typed this and then thought yeah it's a good thought ? Seriously, Richmonds school system is horrible beyond belief.

Schools are a key factor in attracting families and business to a locality (not event centers). You cannot have too good a school system. Richmonds suck balls .............. badly.... Fix that issue then worry about concert venues.

Let them eat cake , that's your thought on the matter ? That's the same concept as the first coliseum over 2,000 years ago. See how well that worked out ?

Multiple things going on ? They haven't solved a single thing much less multiple things, and now they want to add more taxes to restaurant patrons (already done once before).... strong concept strooooooong.... Please don't run for office.

Apr 28, 2009
My argument is old and played out ? You typed this and then thought yeah it's a good thought ? Seriously, Richmonds school system is horrible beyond belief.

Schools are a key factor in attracting families and business to a locality (not event centers). You cannot have too good a school system. Richmonds suck balls .............. badly.... Fix that issue then worry about concert venues.

Let them eat cake , that's your thought on the matter ? That's the same concept as the first coliseum over 2,000 years ago. See how well that worked out ?

Multiple things going on ? They haven't solved a single thing much less multiple things, and now they want to add more taxes to restaurant patrons (already done once before).... strong concept strooooooong.... Please don't run for office.
Do you live in the city?

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Do you live in the city?
I work in the city now (for the last 35 years really), I/we lived in the city, and moved out because the schools sucked so badly. We're thinking about moving back to the Fan, now that the kids have graduated from the best county schools (and Maggie Walker, which isn't controlled by the city thank God) we could find in the region.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Is there a reasonably major city where you would call out the public schools as being not terrible?

I have no stake in this debate having departed Richmond 25 years ago—but honest question because i’ve lived in six of the largest cities in the US and the public schools are deemed terrible in all of them—Chicago for example, is far worse than anything you can describe about Richmond.

In any case, the thriving cities i have lived in vs. the more dysfunctional, have one thing in common—they invest in civic infrastructure and have strong public-private relations commited to growth.

Interestingly, as these cities attract more vibrant citizens, the tax base improves and so do the schools....albeit incrementally.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
If a major corporation proposed to build a site in one of the counties, the county involved would jump at it. Every area in this country where it has happened has seen business flock to the area where the new construction happened.

As for the political dysfunction, Gomer Pyle said- Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. The counties make decision based on what has happened in the past. And friend, the past is not great on this subject. Fifty years ago the City had a lot of pull. Today, there several times the population base in the metro counties. And they enjoy a better tax base.

I'm all for the City getting it's act together. But here is the problem. Most people outside the the City limits don't want to come into the City. In my age group, I'm the exception. I worked in the City for years, trying to control the drug/crime problems. There are very few places in the City where I feel uncomfortable (of course, I'm usually armed). When I mention to friends/neighbors about going to anywhere in the City to eat or go to an event, most look at me like I'm crazy. But I'm comfortable in the City, they are not. Hence the problem. If you can't make people feel safe going downtown, they won't. And if you give them an option where they can enjoy the same benefits without leaving the comforts of the where they live, they will stay.

As more jobs come to the City and more people want to live close to those jobs and entertainment, it should get better. But the proof will be in the pudding. And having been burned too many times in the past, it will become a wait and see proposition.
Yes, I used to be armed when living up at Davis and Main. Was kind of expecting it to be safer 30 years later. If there's more in the city to do and see they may just come out of their little cozy place. It does get pretty stifling out there with little to do besides go to a chain restaurant and play golf.

Reactions: SPI-DA1

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Is there a reasonably major city where you would call out the public schools as being not terrible?

I have no stake in this debate having departed Richmond 25 years ago—but honest question because i’ve lived in six of the largest cities in the US and the public schools are deemed terrible in all of them—Chicago for example, is far worse than anything you can describe about Richmond.

In any case, the thriving cities i have lived in vs. the more dysfunctional, have one thing in common—they invest in civic infrastructure and have strong public-private relations commited to growth.

Interestingly, as these cities attract more vibrant citizens, the tax base improves and so do the schools....albeit incrementally.
You think Richmond's schools bite go to Charlotte and live in the city limits. Remember, this is a town where they can't get the snow off the road or support sports teams in an arena 10 minutes from city center. You drive across the city limits and the road is clean. Weird but true.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

So what you get are affluent people who can afford to send their kids to private schools, and afford to take advantage of that rich civic life. That's just not a realistic approach IMO. It's a complicated subject for sure. and Richmond isn't a major city in America.

If that public private thing happens great I'm all in. Where's the road map for it other than we're going to tax meals again. interestingly enough one of the things that have gotten people to come back to the city. kill that golden goose... Richmond has had 6th st. marketplace FAILURE
the canal locks FAILURE (so far)
Mainstreet station. FAILURE
The Diamond(FAILING
Those failed are failing because of such a poorly run city gov't. Is it any wonder the counties and private companies don't want to partner with the city. Hopefully mayor stoney turns that round.

We just had people going apoplectic over statues that have never uttered a single word of outrage over a school system that could be OK, but just don't care enough to speak up. Selective outrage is all the rage today. end rant..........

Jul 14, 2011
You think Richmond's schools bite go to Charlotte and live in the city limits. Remember, this is a town where they can't get the snow off the road or support sports teams in an arena 10 minutes from city center. You drive across the city limits and the road is clean. Weird but true.
I really dont know why you are ripping on Charlotte and feel like you probably never lived there. I have lived in Charlotte and Richmond. Charlotte by far has better schools within the city limits (granted the city limits are much larger than Richmond) and the snow cleanup is much much better than Richmond. Driving downtown Richmond in the snow is easily the worst possible driving situation that I have experienced.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Jul 14, 2011
So what you get are affluent people who can afford to send their kids to private schools, and afford to take advantage of that rich civic life. That's just not a realistic approach IMO. It's a complicated subject for sure. and Richmond isn't a major city in America.

If that public private thing happens great I'm all in. Where's the road map for it other than we're going to tax meals again. interestingly enough one of the things that have gotten people to come back to the city. kill that golden goose... Richmond has had 6th st. marketplace FAILURE
the canal locks FAILURE (so far)
Mainstreet station. FAILURE
The Diamond(FAILING
Those failed are failing because of such a poorly run city gov't. Is it any wonder the counties and private companies don't want to partner with the city. Hopefully mayor stoney turns that round.

We just had people going apoplectic over statues that have never uttered a single word of outrage over a school system that could be OK, but just don't care enough to speak up. Selective outrage is all the rage today. end rant..........
I cant wait to see how the new bus lanes "improve" the city.

Dec 16, 2013
Give the Dominion Group the land for free where the current Colisuem sits and let them build, finance and control the facility with no City subsidy - (enter into an arrangement to allow access to the City parking deck for all evening events , though the city retains the parking revenue because it built and owns the deck but provides patrons of events nearby parking)
. New property would be on the city tax rolls and creating tax revenue (real estate, admissions, sales tax etc) that the city could use as it deems fit
Dominion can keep all the profit they generate from the Coliseum after debt service and operating expenses or if a loss (likely) they can consider that a gift to the community
Reality is Dominion would probably not do such a deal because it would lose millions annually - that is the problem with these arenas (unless in cities that can FILL the building 200+ nights a year). they require millions in subsidies from citizen/business taxes or a major corporation to pay $3-10 million annually for naming rights
(watch out when they start talking about creating a TIF , tax increment financing district- allocation of tax increase for specific area in the city that would be used solely to pay debt on project - Hold your wallet)

I would love to see a new Coliseum but as a stand alone project it would likely require $3-10 million annual subsidy to achieve.
Personally (I am not a city resident but worked downtown for 40 years and have had season tickets to VCU for 35 years) I think the Mayor will do a good job but would urge him to keep his eye and efforts primarily on schools, crime and existing infrastructure needs like roads, bridges, and utilities for his years as mayor

And the surrounding counties have provided regional support for the existing Diamond (annual contributions to the entity RMA when debt was outstanding) as well as the Richmond Convention Center (lodging taxes earmarked) - and even after that support the city has to subsidize annually because the activities still lose money. Conversely the counties too have public assets they built (without city financial support) that city residents use and continue to be encouraged to use like parks etc. My take on regional cooperation at the government level is that lots of bridges have been burned over the last 20 years that will need to be mended before big regional deals can be done again.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I really dont know why you are ripping on Charlotte and feel like you probably never lived there. I have lived in Charlotte and Richmond. Charlotte by far has better schools within the city limits (granted the city limits are much larger than Richmond) and the snow cleanup is much much better than Richmond. Driving downtown Richmond in the snow is easily the worst possible driving situation that I have experienced.
I'm not saying Charlotte bites. On the contrary, I'd go back there in a country minute. I lived there for 8 years (longer than anywhere else). Its' one of my favorite places and I've lived in a lot (Richmond, Nova, Salt Lake, San Francisco, Baltimore, Charlotte and here). As for the schools, there are a few decent ones, but you have to choose your spot wisely. One good thing about the lack of snow removal is it makes it super easy for experienced snow drivers to get around. No one's out there to hit you. I love Charlotte, but it's got it's problems.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
If you really want to see bad government, poor schools, apathetic residents, crime, and terrible infrastructure, come on down to where I live, Petersburg.
I really feel for Petersburg. Such a beautiful little history filled city. Some corporation needs to come in an buy it lock stock and barrel. We just had dinner at the newly opened farmers market building. Such an amazing space. I hope it makes it.

Last edited: