Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
So, here is a question for you. Why is always either/or regarding the RCPS system when there is talk about building a new arena/baseball stadium? Richmond has not built a new arena/baseball stadium since 1985 when the Diamond was built. The Richmond Coliseum opened in 1971. That's 35 years ago for the Diamond and 49 years ago for the Coliseum. And people want to hide behind a RCPS system that has been broken for at least as long as the Diamond has been opened. The City of Richmond has had multiple opportunities to fix the school system over the years and has failed. Where was the discussion about fixing the school system before the Navy Hill conversation? It wasn't there, but now it's a hot topic? Please!!!!
It's consistent with the "historic" card. Structures that nobody cared about or even noticed suddenly become "historic" when somebody wants to do something innovative on the land. Nothing non-essential can take place if the schools need money...which will be all the time.

Reactions: vcubballfan10

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
It's not. It's NEVER been RCPS. The energy expended on maintaining or fixing schools is so far down the list of things they try too do it's laughable.

I want the arena, I want them to do what a city gov't os supposed to do, and that's make the city attractive, safe and maintained. There's not much you can do about families not taking an interest in the schooling of their kids, but having buildings that are on the verge of condemnation is something that at a minumum should be happening, and it simply is not.

I simply do not believe the financial plan they put forward. I have good reason to be skeptical because just about every project they've touted since Main. St. Station has ended up being a white elephant.
When all you notice are the white elephants guess what you only see?

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Disagree about the wrong part. I've heard the "it's too historic" plenty of times.

Also, here we go again with the "fix the schools" argument. No one is saying that schools are not important and they should not be a priority. I don't understand why people always want to connect "fix the schools" to projects like Navy Hill. The schools should've been fixed years ago. Whenever a project like Navy Hill comes about all of a sudden "fix the schools" becomes an issue again. Again, throwing more money at the schools is not going to fix the schools. There are other issues at RPS that need to be addressed.
It's a simple strategy: pit children versus (fill in the blank) and guess which way public sentiment is likely to be swayed? It's a very effective tactic. Make the debate schools versus coliseums.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
When all you notice are the white elephants guess what you only see?
Show me a big ticket Richmond project that's been a success. The convention. center might be the most benign of the bunch, not sure what to make of the canal project yet.

The latest bus line set up is beyond bizarre with the new Broad st traffic patterns

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
It's a simple strategy: pit children versus (fill in the blank) and guess which way public sentiment is likely to be swayed? It's a very effective tactic. Make the debate schools versus coliseums.
It's not pit children vs the arena please stop trying to make that comparison. It's the kids are never thought of, and the only energy expended by the city is for this kind of project, not the stuff they're actually supposed to be doing.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
It's not pit children vs the arena please stop trying to make that comparison. It's the kids are never thought of, and the only energy expended by the city is for this kind of project, not the stuff they're actually supposed to be doing.
Kids are the currently the city's second largest budget item.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Show me a big ticket Richmond project that's been a success. The convention. center might be the most benign of the bunch, not sure what to make of the canal project yet.

The latest bus line set up is beyond bizarre with the new Broad st traffic patterns
And in most cases the issue was not money. It was incompetent City of Richmond employees managing the project. That's all the more reason to have a venture like the Navy Hill project where you take the management function out of the City of Richmond employees' hands.

Regarding RCPS, my daughter taught in the RCPS system and the issue is NOT funding and it's not the Superintendent of RCPS. It's the layers of incompetent management between the teachers and the Superintendent. Carver Elementary School, with their SOL cheating scandal, is a prime example of that incompetence.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

The Pulse so far exceeded projections. And as more residential projects emerge in Rocketts Landing usage will likely increase as well. Though private contributions were a big part of the project, the city's partnership in building the Capital Trail has exceeded usage projections and has been a major addition to the city. And shows what can happen when the city, counties and private enterprise can collaborate on a project.

Reactions: I4one and mrgeode

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Then why is the state of the RCPS system and how tax revenue needs to be directed to their needs vs. downtown development at the center of the Navy Hill project discussion?

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Then why is the state of the RCPS system and how tax revenue needs to be directed to their needs vs. downtown development at the center of the Navy Hill project discussion?
Anxiously waiting for a response. Not sure if you've seen them, but there are now yard signs that actually say something to the affect of "Schools not Coliseums."

May 4, 2012
The thing that bums me about this fizzling is that they provided a way to have it not cost the city money which was always a sticking point here and everywhere else areanas are involved. I had hoped that would resonate.

Reactions: Hoos A Ram

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
The thing that bums me about this fizzling is that they provided a way to have it not cost the city money which was always a sticking point here and everywhere else areanas are involved. I had hoped that would resonate.
It would have cost the city money. The city would have had to pay back $600 million of the $1.3 billion that would have been provided for the project. A GA bill that was tabled by its sponsor would have used state sales taxes to pay for the arena over the next 30 years; aside from that, deferred maintenance on schools, roads, and other city infrastructure was proposed.

Feb 14, 2011
In a nearby County, newly elected officials and the citizens asked the county for more funding to rebuild the fire and EMS services that are much needed and understaffed. The elected police chief says if you take away my budget to fund EMS, I'll be forced to reduce deputies, meaning I can't afford resource officers in the schools. No one questions the new police cars and officers regularly cruising parking lots looking for expired inspection stickers.

My point is; government likes to use schools as pawns, it's emotional and an easy sell when the school system is "down". It becomes more difficult when the schools are doing well. Do our leaders really want great schools? Schools could always use more money but one of the biggest issues RCPS seems to have is managing the money, not understanding the value of money well spent. The other issue is they have people in place that don't know how to maintain the buildings, the systems and manage quality staff. They may be good public representatives but they don't know how to run a business where accountability is required and don't have a magic money tree.

RCPS has a budget of around $300 million. Henrico, I would guess is at least 5 times the size of Richmond has a budget of roughly $650 million. Even if RCPS found another $300 million, I'm not confident we would see any drastic improvement. I've be involved with capital improvement projects in Henrico. They have been very responsible with spending tax dollars wisely. For now anyway, they have a new Superintendent that likes shiny new things that she can put her name on. (Sound a little familiar?)

When I moved from the northeast to Richmond in the late 80's, I was amazed how openly mismanaged the government and schools seemed to be compared to where I lived. I recall our real estate telling us "you don't want to live within the city limits". I was even more amazed to learn that until around 10 years ago Richmond Mayors were appointed by the city council. A Yankee moving south I'm expecting a very conservative government. Then I learn that only 1 mayor in like 100 years was a republican and the city council was never bipartisan.

Since much of the Navy Hill discussion is political: I don't live in Richmond and don't get a vote but maybe it's time to try something new because from my seat, except for VCU/MCV and beer, not much has changed in the past 30 years.

Feb 14, 2011
This isn't about Richmonder's being non-ambitious or unwilling to grow.
We have a city that has a lurid history of embedded political corruption (Joel Harris, Saad El Amin, all the ways up to the recent shennighans of Selena Cuffee-Glenn from Stoney's administration a few months ago) trying to do a $1.5 billion project with a group of multimillionaires that have virtually no experience in construction/ city development working a complicated proposal that no other legitimate contracting company would touch or offer a proposal the way it was written.
What could possibly go wrong?
It's mind-blowing that this stuff has been going on for a very long time and the citizens of Richmond seem numb to it. I guess it's just another day, business as usual.

Reactions: Ramaholic
Nov 10, 2012
It's mind-blowing that this stuff has been going on for a very long time and the citizens of Richmond seem numb to it. I guess it's just another day, business as usual.
I think Richmonders have just gotten comfortable the way things are. Richmonders love it when a new brewery, restaurant or grocery store opens but are hesitant and scream "it's going to fail" when a project like Navy Hill is proposed.