Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Nope... they overtaxed and since its plentiful, are killing the golden goose

it has more to do with the laws are written, there are no real disincentives for the grey market. Other states have since gone with stricter supply chain controls. Also, on a per measure basis of THC, the dispensaries are far cheaper

Apr 20, 2009
I had a lot of great memories at the Brown Spaceship. Many CAATs including EM's take over of the GMU game; season ticket holder many years to the hockey teams; Loretta Lynn Rodeo great concert and those guys were tough; Friday nights watching Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, and Black Jack Mulligan; opening week tour of facility meeting the Robins and Squires; but the most important decision of my life was made there at a Bob Harrington crusade. That former lineman for both Auburn and Alabama said there were two type of people in this world, the lost and the saved. The Holy Spirit drew me to himself in that moment my life and eternal future was changed. Praise God.

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Nope... they overtaxed and since its plentiful, are killing the golden goose

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say (just not clearly). Cali over taxed and there's tons of it growing there so they aren't reaping the rewards. I think the dynamic would be different in VA

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
it has more to do with the laws are written, there are no real disincentives for the grey market. Other states have since gone with stricter supply chain controls. Also, on a per measure basis of THC, the dispensaries are far cheaper
My theory has always been the reason governments resisted legalizing weed is because it is so easy to grow you own and thus sidestepping taxation, unlike alcohol which is a lot more complicated to make your own. Growing your own weed probably isn't more complicated than growing your own oregano. Otherwise, I can't think of a single legit reason for alcohol to be legal but weed isn't.

May 4, 2012
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say (just not clearly). Cali over taxed and there's tons of it growing there so they aren't reaping the rewards. I think the dynamic would be different in VA
My point is that the black market will always be cheaper so counting on taxes is, at best, risky.
If you want to legalise it just do it and let free market generate ordinary revenue, forget additional taxes.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Are you asking how they got built with resident’s support, how they got built period, or how they got built where the financing made a return for the city? IMHO there is a big difference between the three question.
You insinuated that Richmond was more diverse than most cities the size of Richmond and that is why projects like a new baseball stadium/Navy Hill project fail. I say BS to to your claim that Richmond is more diverse than most cities the size of Richmond.

Reactions: Bridgewater83
Mar 18, 2012
You insinuated that Richmond was more diverse than most cities the size of Richmond and that is why projects like a new baseball stadium/Navy Hill project fail. I say BS to to your claim that Richmond is more diverse than most cities the size of Richmond.
I dont know if diverse is the correct term, Richmond is very unique. I think if old Richmond(70's -80's era) was still in power it would have been a done deal. Once the Northern population migrated south things changed. Richmond did things a certain way, and that power structure still owns the land, and has a lot of resources. Scott's Addition is old Richmond money property, So is Manchester. The loud liberal northern influence may attract a lot of attention, but they are far from in charge except stuff like public projects like schools, Coliseums, and bus lines. Richmond has plenty of money, they just want to do things that make money.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Richmond is changing rapidly, the city of who's your mothers people is dying out quickly. I'd say it's the most diverse it's ever been.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I think you misread my post. My point was progress might mean different things for different residents. As a city resident a new ball park and arena doesn't even make my top 5 wish list items for the city.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Richmond is changing rapidly, the city of who's your mothers people is dying out quickly. I'd say it's the most diverse it's ever been.
It's just catching up to cities its size. And that's my point. Richmond is no more diverse than 80% of the cities its size.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I think you misread my post. My point was progress might mean different things for different residents. As a city resident a new ball park and arena doesn't even make my top 5 wish list items for the city.
That's not what you said. You very clearly insinuated that Richmond was more diverse than other cities its size. And that is not true.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Actually Navy Hill was destroyed by construction of the Richmond Petersburg Turnpike, which was constructed by the Richmond Petersburg Turnpike Authority, starting in 1955 and completed in 1958. The original Richmond Petersburg Turnpike was the stretch of US Route 1 between Richmond and Petersburg, also known as "The Pike", which dates bach to the 1800s. Hopefully, this stretch of US Route 1 will reacquire it's original name instead of it's current name of Jefferson Davis Highway.

Reactions: BracketForecast
Dec 2, 2012
I dont know if diverse is the correct term, Richmond is very unique. I think if old Richmond(70's -80's era) was still in power it would have been a done deal. Once the Northern population migrated south things changed. Richmond did things a certain way, and that power structure still owns the land, and has a lot of resources. Scott's Addition is old Richmond money property, So is Manchester. The loud liberal northern influence may attract a lot of attention, but they are far from in charge except stuff like public projects like schools, Coliseums, and bus lines. Richmond has plenty of money, they just want to do things that make money.
Tom Farrell and Dominion power are new money liberals?