Dominion Energy-led new Coliseum

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Ended up being a great time not to be in the middle of an arena project.
"finance" ? Well, that particular set up needed some tuning and yes this is an awkward time for such projects BUT money is cheap right now and long-term this could reduce the cost. As we come out of this pandemic in the future money will still be cheap and Richmond will need to create jobs for all those small business retail and restaruant jobs lost. A major construction and operation like that could be a saving grace

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
"finance" ? Well, that particular set up needed some tuning and yes this is an awkward time for such projects BUT money is cheap right now and long-term this could reduce the cost. As we come out of this pandemic in the future money will still be cheap and Richmond will need to create jobs for all those small business retail and restaruant jobs lost. A major construction and operation like that could be a saving grace
Also, it would have taken years to complete that navy hill project. We'd likely (hopefully) be in a post corona world by the time it opened. Now with the economic downturn it will be at least another decade before anything would be close to being ready. Until then, I'm just waiting for them to increase property taxes to make up for the lost meals tax all in the name of the bottomless pit that is RPS and it's administrators.

May 1, 2009
Also, it would have taken years to complete that navy hill project. We'd likely (hopefully) be in a post corona world by the time it opened. Now with the economic downturn it will be at least another decade before anything would be close to being ready. Until then, I'm just waiting for them to increase property taxes to make up for the lost meals tax all in the name of the bottomless pit that is RPS and it's administrators.
Not just cities but states will be suffering for the foreseeable future. And when states suffer, the first group that end up suffering are state universities....except the flagships

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Yes, but there's going to be a lot of empty real estate available between restaurants and storefronts. Maybe they'll come up with a decent plan that makes it work but I doubt it.

Apr 20, 2009
Not sure where to post this and it certainly won't be in a new Coliseum, but a new Federal League hockey team is going to be in Richmond playing at Skate Nation.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Is there even a remote possibility that at some point they would do something with the Coliseum itself, or is it basically just a brown shell at this point?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Is there even a remote possibility that at some point they would do something with the Coliseum itself, or is it basically just a brown shell at this point?
There was a group that wanted to purchase and renovate the existing structure. Don't think the city even entertained that idea. I believe quite a bit of the inner workings of the coliseum have been gutted anticipating a demolition. It wouldn't be as simple as just turning the lights back on at this point. I doubt if it will be opened back up again.

Reactions: mrgeode

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
There was a group that wanted to purchase and renovate the existing structure. Don't think the city even entertained that idea. I believe quite a bit of the inner workings of the coliseum have been gutted anticipating a demolition. It wouldn't be as simple as just turning the lights back on at this point. I doubt if it will be opened back up again.
That Douglas Development group that made that offer is about as crooked as they come.