Donald "Cisco" ross, RIP

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
310731750_8071787382894953_2037339082479329324_n.jpg

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member

While at VCU, Ross also helped recruit some of the institution’s first African-American stars, such as Jesse Dark, Bernard Harris, Dave Edwards, Howie Robertson, Reggie Cain, Cornell Jones and Greg McDougald, all of whom joined the Rams in 1970.

In 1971, a year after Ross finished playing, VCU Coach Chuck Noe had the first all-black starting lineup — Wilkins, Dark, Cain, McDougald, Charles Booker — of any majority-white school on the East Coast.

This article is a REALLY good read about the late Don Ross Jr's basketball journey....Rest in Peace, Mr. Ross....you will be remembered well!

Thanks for finding these archives ... after all these years, I admit to a mistake ... Cisco (as he was known) did not play with Bobby Dandridge at Armstrong. Dandridge went to Maggie Walker. However, Cisco did play with Charles Bonaparte at Armstrong. Bonaparte went on to star at Norfolk State (with Dandridge) and was actually drafted higher than Dandridge. Just imagine how good those high school teams were in those days - with virtually all the Black kids in the Richmond area bunched into two rosters. Wish I could have seen it. Cisco was something else before lower back troubles put him on the sideliens - clearly a 4-star prospect by today's ratings. he went to Cleveland State to play with perhaps the most famous Black coach of the era, Hall of Famer John McLendon.

Cisco! Don's father, Don Sr., had it first as a standout player at Virginia Union. Don Sr. led VUU to the CIAA title and is a member of the CIAA and VUU Hall of Fames. Don Jr. inherited it .... and the reason behind it all? In the TV show, "Cisco always came to save the day." Obit in today's Richmond Free Press.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Cisco! Don's father, Don Sr., had it first as a standout player at Virginia Union. Don Sr. led VUU to the CIAA title and is a member of the CIAA and VUU Hall of Fames. Don Jr. inherited it .... and the reason behind it all? In the TV show, "Cisco always came to save the day." Obit in today's Richmond Free Press.
Crazy that I knew that. It is what happens during research. I read about his father. I also know Don played at Armstrong. Back when Armstrong was founded it was called a Normal school. Virginia Randolph went there. Oh and I also saw all kinds of funny advertisements during my VCU periodical search.