Early Rotation Concerns

Nov 5, 2019
I know the depth we have can be such a great advantage for us, but early on this season it has almost seemed to plague us. I am very excited about the potential from the second rotation we go to after the 15 minute mark: Hyland, Curry, Crowfield, Williams, Douglas. However, we have got to run more offensive looks for Crowfield when we are in this lineup. In the first two games this season when this group is on the floor they have just tucked Malik in the corner, and any shot he has taken he had to create for himself. He has a spark off the bench that can blow a game wide open, and it seems like we never go to it. We lose the second Richmond game last year if it wasn't for that Crowfield explosion, and he kept us somewhat in the UCF game as well. I know everyone was excited for the two big shots from Simms last night, but he was 0-6 from the field before that, and 0-1 against St. Francis. I'd love to see Evans, Crowfield, Jenkins, Williams, MSS as the starting lineup, with Vann, Douglas, Simms bringing that spark we need off the bench. I have always thought Vann would be an incredible 6th man. Anyways, these are just my thoughts after a head scratching first couple of games. Glad to be 2-0, and can't wait to beat the heck out of the cry baby, Will Wade.

Jan 18, 2014
I know the depth we have can be such a great advantage for us, but early on this season it has almost seemed to plague us. I am very excited about the potential from the second rotation we go to after the 15 minute mark: Hyland, Curry, Crowfield, Williams, Douglas. However, we have got to run more offensive looks for Crowfield when we are in this lineup. In the first two games this season when this group is on the floor they have just tucked Malik in the corner, and any shot he has taken he had to create for himself. He has a spark off the bench that can blow a game wide open, and it seems like we never go to it. We lose the second Richmond game last year if it wasn't for that Crowfield explosion, and he kept us somewhat in the UCF game as well. I know everyone was excited for the two big shots from Simms last night, but he was 0-6 from the field before that, and 0-1 against St. Francis. I'd love to see Evans, Crowfield, Jenkins, Williams, MSS as the starting lineup, with Vann, Douglas, Simms bringing that spark we need off the bench. I have always thought Vann would be an incredible 6th man. Anyways, these are just my thoughts after a head scratching first couple of games. Glad to be 2-0, and can't wait to beat the heck out of the cry baby, Will Wade.
Yeahhh we aren't going to be LSU playing the way we are but, I hope coach can make some much needed adjustments.

Ramikin

Top Member
Insider
Sep 5, 2016
More Crowfield. Should be a no brainer. He’s the best shooter and the best ball handler we got. 14 turnovers last season. 14! The entire season, only 14 turnovers! Why isn’t he starting? Why isn’t he getting minutes?

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I think Vann will/should continue to start (he always gets the assignment of guarding the opposing team's best scorer...unless it's a center), but I think on that note that you just brought up, I like Crow over Simms in terms of minutes (don't really care about the starting thing as much as who's playing more).

Through two games Kel is averaging 24 and Malik is at 18 per game. I think that's likely a positional thing, basically Coach Rhoades being more comfortable with Kel playing the 4, but I just don't agree with that decision. I'd rather have IV playing a small 4 and Crow at the 3. We've got a season's worth of data from this past season and Crow was just way more efficient than Kel across the board. I think Vince is the future of that position, although he looked a step slow last night, but I think overall Crow is just a solid piece we need out there, particularly on a VCU team that struggles to hit threes (he is currently a 36.6% career three-point shooter, which is better than all other starting candidates not named De'Riante).

It's a minor tweak but one I'd make.

I'd also go two bigs with MSS and Douglas A LOT more than we are. Corey's at 14 minutes per game and he hasn't really come close to foul trouble. I'd love to see him more out there, especially because the small ball 4s we're using instead aren't really crushing it from deep (or have ever really done so).

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Have to maximize minutes for our shooters...despite what the peach basket crowd on here might think if we don’t starting making threes at a high(higher) clip we will not reach our potential. It is weapon that every good team employs
Need to use Crow like we did Troy.. get him looks from the arc...especially in transition

Mar 1, 2015
Vann and DJ are both good players. But I don’t think they blend well, at least offensively (D seems to be fine). With them at the 2/3 there are issues with ball handling, ball movement, entry passes and turnovers. PG play Is OK, but not good enough to make up for it. When they are the 3/4 we aren’t physical enough.

They will be on the court together a lot, not sure there is a way around that.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Have to maximize minutes for our shooters...despite what the peach basket crowd on here might think if we don’t starting making threes at a high(higher) clip we will not reach our potential. It is weapon that every good team employs
Need to use Crow like we did Troy.. get him looks from the arc...especially in transition
I agree. I could go back and check but I think the team actually did pretty well from 3 last night. I love Vince Williams but it is going to take some games to get him rolling before he shakes the rust off.

Reactions: SZQ VCU
Dec 16, 2013
interesting topic - MR has to use November and December to figure out the rotation and minutes and combos. not always an easy thing to do when you have new players and players improving from one season to the next. Most coaches would die to have the number of experienced vets returning from last year (regular season champs) and it is hard to reduce their playing minutes in close games - so this is definitely a balancing act
I expect by Dec 1 ( injuries aside) that our starting 5 will be ME, IV, DJ, Williams and MSS - off the bench the most run will go to Crow, Simms and Douglas in that order - fouls and game situations will determine how much we play Curry, Bones, and Ward (minutes probably in that order)
In A10 I think we can get away with playing a lot of one big and 4 G and SF combos provided we play the type of defense we have to date this year and what we did last year - most a10 teams don't do a good job of attacking a teams weakness (to me it is our inside defense and rebounding) - our defense dictates a lot in most games ( especially love how we make teams consume 7-10 seconds just getting ball past mid court when we defend after a score - shortening the time our opponents have to run a half court offense
the one thing I want to see in the next 6 weeks is who besides ME wants the ball in their hands in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock and can score, get a good shot or create a good shot for a teammate - we need an alternative to ME to bring greater balance to our team in February and March
go rams

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Great first post! Welcome to arkum!