Early season thoughts?

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
He transferred so he was supposed to sit a year but he got a waiver. There is no redshirt situation. If he redshirted he would get two years after being with the team this year. He is a junior now so he will get one more year in 2021-22.

This year will not count against anyone's eligibility, per NCAA ruling. Brendan will have this year and two more, if he chooses to use it.

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Not sure I understand this. I haven’t been keeping up over the off season. What’s Medley-Bacon’s situation? Does he get to play during a redshirt year? Or was he supposed to redshirt, but decided not to?

Under normal circumstances, Brendan would've had to redshirt, and that was the original plan. But the NCAA's ruling on not counting this year against anyone's eligibility, plus the loosening of restrictions on granting waivers made it an easy decision.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This year will not count against anyone's eligibility, per NCAA ruling. Brendan will have this year and two more, if he chooses to use it.
Now I am confused. He is listed as a junior right? Oh, I gotcha. Pretty much everyone is a redshirt due to the circumstances. Correct?

Reactions: wavevcu

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Now I am confused. He is listed as a junior right? Oh, I gotcha. Pretty much everyone is a redshirt due to the circumstances. Correct?

Basically it'll be the student-athletes' option if they want to use the extra year. Until then, we'll list them as their normal year of eligibility. After that, we may have to make up some new distinction, since these guys won't be "redshirt" seniors. "Graduate", which some people already use, probably works, but whatever. Semantics.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Basically it'll be the student-athletes' option if they want to use the extra year. Until then, we'll list them as their normal year of eligibility. After that, we may have to make up some new distinction, since these guys won't be "redshirt" seniors. "Graduate", which some people already use, probably works, but whatever. Semantics.
Wow! This is wild now that I am really thinking about it. I do feel sorry for high school kids because it seems like it is going to be more difficult for them. It will be madness for a couple of years I guess.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
KeShawn and Tre had a combined 0 stars and the were just major contributors vs a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits. Classic line: it’s not the size (number of stars) of the dog in the fight, it’s the size (number of stars) of the fight in the dog. Love these guards

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Under normal circumstances, Brendan would've had to redshirt, and that was the original plan. But the NCAA's ruling on not counting this year against anyone's eligibility, plus the loosening of restrictions on granting waivers made it an easy decision.

Best news of the day!! I would really like to see what Brent Scott can do with a legit 7 footer over 3 years.

Reactions: wavevcu

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Actually, he will still get two more. NCAA decided all winter sports athletes will get an extra year and this year’s seniors will not count against the scholarship limit next year so if Corey and Levi and the staff all agree, we could have 15 players on scholarship.

And that is exactly why Medley-Bacon is getting free minutes this year since this year doesn't count towards his remaining two years of eligibility.

Reactions: austindr

80sRam

Top Member
Jun 29, 2017
let's pump the brakes a little; freshmen will be freshmen and this STILL November.
Not challenging you, E - or even offering a difference of opinion - I'm just wondering what you think we should pump the brakes on. Freshmen will be freshmen, but I think this particular group of freshmen can give us the ability to compete with the top of the A10. Will someone cost us a game at some point with a freshman mistake? Maybe, and maybe we'll see more than one. But I'm guessing they'll be mistakes made at 100 mph by guys who will learn from them. I'll take that.

We might see a double-digit loss or three, but I think we will be competitive, with a realistic chance to win against anyone in the league.

Apr 20, 2009
I'm feeling way more optimistic about the season than I did a few days ago, and as such, there's too many surprises to count. At this point, I'm concerned about one thing: our bigs. Stockard and Medley-Bacon look like they don't belong on the floor. Like Simms last year, Corey is a limited player who will give you everything he has. Ward, however, is playing better than I expected. Still, big teams like WVU are going to give us a lot of trouble. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of teams like that on our schedule.
I think Stockard will be fine. He can be a good role player up front and spell Corey and Hason. BMB is more suited for playing the last line of D in our zone press. I will be patient. Corey and Hason are a nice combo up front.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke
Apr 20, 2009
Thoughts:
1. This is the first year with an all MR recruiting class. He recruited these guys for his strategic style of play.
2. Early in the season a lot of teams play a lot of players and as time goes on player time on the court gets whittled down to 7 or 8 players. I am hoping for the opposite. I think we have a full and complete line that can actually go out there and be starters or be very good contributors. As the season progresses, I hope starter minutes decrease slightly so that we can play like a real army where we can send in wave after wave of player ready players. I think this whole team can play. I don't know if I have ever seen that from a VCU team. (Ok it is still very early in the season and I am probably a bit too overjoyed. But I am pretty happy with the skill level of every single player on this team)
We are very solid at every position right now except center. Curry did a great job on the glass all 3 games. The small lineup of Vince and Curry at F and Ward at C held their own vs Memphis. At least we have options this season. No drop off at all when the bench came in