Early season thoughts?

Apr 20, 2009
Wow! This is wild now that I am really thinking about it. I do feel sorry for high school kids because it seems like it is going to be more difficult for them. It will be madness for a couple of years I guess.
So if Corey and Levi come back we will have 15 guys on scholarship next season if no one transfers.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
We are very solid at every position right now except center. Curry did a great job on the glass all 3 games. The small lineup of Vince and Curry at F and Ward at C held their own vs Memphis. At least we have options this season. No drop off at all when the bench came in

This team still needs some outside shooters not named Bones to step up. Otherwise, teams are going to start packing it in against VCU.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Not challenging you, E - or even offering a difference of opinion - I'm just wondering what you think we should pump the brakes on. Freshmen will be freshmen, but I think this particular group of freshmen can give us the ability to compete with the top of the A10. Will someone cost us a game at some point with a freshman mistake? Maybe, and maybe we'll see more than one. But I'm guessing they'll be mistakes made at 100 mph by guys who will learn from them. I'll take that.

We might see a double-digit loss or three, but I think we will be competitive, with a realistic chance to win against anyone in the league.
that sounds sufficiently measured.

Reactions: 80sRam

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Reactions: BracketForecast

ramzilla

Top Member
Mar 16, 2013
I think we are fighting like crazy but need a little work on logging the game.

Dec 16, 2013
Last season I criticized our lack of imagination on inbounds plays underneath the basket we are shooting at - and suggested the coaches spend some off-season time looking at coaches that do that well (in the past most of our inbounds plays resulted in us throwing the ball to players 25-35 feet away from the basket and those cutting away from the basket)
This year I am seeing more creativity in our inbounds sets with more pressure being placed on the opponent to guard us and more VCU players moving toward the basket to receive passes and/or in position to shoot layup or easy shots (it also helps to have someone like Ace making the inbounds pass too and players that can adjust on the fly to how defenses are playing them)
Kudos to MR and his staff ( I am believer if you can steal an easy layup or few close shots a game they will payoff in the long-run)
Go Rams

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Last season I criticized our lack of imagination on inbounds plays underneath the basket we are shooting at - and suggested the coaches spend some off-season time looking at coaches that do that well (in the past most of our inbounds plays resulted in us throwing the ball to players 25-35 feet away from the basket and those cutting away from the basket)
This year I am seeing more creativity in our inbounds sets with more pressure being placed on the opponent to guard us and more VCU players moving toward the basket to receive passes and/or in position to shoot layup or easy shots (it also helps to have someone like Ace making the inbounds pass too and players that can adjust on the fly to how defenses are playing them)
Kudos to MR and his staff ( I am believer if you can steal an easy layup or few close shots a game they will payoff in the long-run)
Go Rams
Always thought scoring off inbound plays was a strength (perhaps the only one😄) of Sonny’s teams back in the day. You could almost count on getting a couple of easy buckets each game.

Reactions: share the ball