Ed is THE MAN

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I'm sorry, too much.

Agreed.
Money, money, money. Tuition hikes on the back of students. What has he done to deserve such a raise? That is a 29 percent raise in just over one year. Faculty are lucky to get a 3 percent raise.

This is why I agree. This is an academic institution. Now if the AD is paying for itself less the new facility, that would mitigate the amount increase some.

However, as someone stated he's been here about 18 months and you raise him 29%. We've had and probably still have world class Professors or at least All USA Profs. that dont get that type consideration. Already the kids have to pay fees to support the AD, along with tuition hikes.

Too much. This isnt corporate America.

Competitve we dont have football. Please see the salaries for programs with football.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...hletics-director-salaries-database/50669958/1

Reactions: nealesk

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Money, money, money. Tuition hikes on the back of students. What has he done to deserve such a raise? That is a 29 percent raise in just over one year. Faculty are lucky to get a 3 percent raise.
Yep, 2% is normal with my job unless you go up a pay grade. I would think that is why he got the new job title.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
What's the going rate...we want to be where we all say we want to be, we have to compete both on and off the court.

Reactions: RESRam
May 5, 2009
The donors are being asked to pony up a lot more and likely a significant increase in ticket prices. The donor base needs to be expanded.

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
As long as Ed takes care of the people that have been here a long time, and recognizes that...... then I'm fine with him gettin' paid. I'm with the others- we need stability now, and to continue our march to greatness. Not to let it go. And the bottom line is...... you get what you pay for.

Reactions: ramrunner
Dec 16, 2013
Breaking ground on a new $25 million practice facility next month
Keeping Shaka at VCU
Adding significant upgrades to the Stu

not sure I would give credit to Ed for being the reason Shaka is staying here - Shaka is staying for his personal reasons nothing to do with Ed and when Shaka ever leaves I am sure it will have nothing to do with Ed either (coaches rarely come or go or even stay because of ADs so not a negative comment about Ed )
practice facility project failed to raise the other $11 million needed to build it with private funds (that was the goal though the project grew by 10+ million along the way) - most of the private money that was raised were from relationships established with major corporations before Ed arrived (though I don't know if Ed landed the committment or someone else did)
nonetheless, you are right the project is beginning (my guess is the administration realized they needed to fulfill their promise of over two + years ago to Shaka for a separate practice facility and therefore decided to use the student fees that were being freed up when the Siegel Center finished an idea that was first pitched by Norwood Teague and his staff)
IMHO I just don't think Ed has been here long enough to really judge his success with VCU and as such deserve a large raise unless he had an oral agreement or understanding with the President that if he accomplished certain things than he would get a raise etc But I am happy for Ed that he got such a raise
the other additions to the STU are appreciated and my guess is Ed was the driving force to make those happen
Go rams and I would love to see Ed continue to build the complete athletic program and it's facilities and compensation for our other successful coaches

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
It is a 4 year contract extension. Not that big of a deal. The key is what are other people making with similar schools? That will tell you if he is overpaid or not. You can't get caught up with the big raise as many organizations want you to work at a lower title until you "prove" yourself.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
not sure I would give credit to Ed for being the reason Shaka is staying here - Shaka is staying for his personal reasons nothing to do with Ed and when Shaka ever leaves I am sure it will have nothing to do with Ed either (coaches rarely come or go or even stay because of ADs so not a negative comment about Ed

Yeah, its kinda like giving Ed credit for Shaka not hating him. It's one of those situations where Ed could only mess it up and fortunately he didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 5, 2009
Wolfpack, you stated the positives and I agree. However, we did lose the women's bb coach, fired Andrew and anecdotal evidence of some unhappy staff people.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
You guys act like VCU is paying Ed $1 million a year. He makes like 1/6 of what Shaka makes. He isn't even making $300,000 per year and look what he is responsible for. Cut the guy some slack. At least he is watching the bottom line (and moving the program forward), which is a lot more than Norwood did.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Fret or support all we want, but as long you send your donation in, buy season tickets etc (which I am sure that the vast majority on here are), then you are condoning (right or wrong), the actions of the athletic department and the university.
It is up to the administration to judge Ed on the merits of his job and worth (ROI) to the university. We cannot do that from where we sit, at least I can't. As long as I continue to support the program, by proxy, I am supporting it all.
My job is to support the team, show up at games and enjoy them as the form of entertainment that they are. Let someone else worry about all this other "stuff". We can't control it.