Ed is THE MAN

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ed's remuneration is certainly not out of line with other comparable institutions/programs. If you want stability you have to offer compensation commensurate with what other institutions offer. In addition don't forget that Ed had a change in title which likely comes with more responsibilities. VCU has a 65% winning percentage(all programs) the last two years which is #1 in the state. Factor in the new practice facility, upgrades to the SC, refining the master plan and expanding the revenue base and the empirical evidence is there to support this move. It is very unlikely we would be breaking ground on a practice facility or paying Shaka 1.5 million per year if Norwood was here. As far as not raising the full amount for the practice facility - we essentially did until the project was upgraded and the cost escalated to 25 million. He did not fail to raise the projected funds but rather the project was upgraded substantially. And as far as losing Stollings - are you kidding me. She never stays anywhere for more than a year or two and was looking to head back to the Mid-West from day one.

Much of the commentary on these boards reflects growing pains and rightfully so. VCU can't go back now. We all aspired to make that jump to the next level and now that it is coming to fruition we must understand there is a cost attendant to it. I for one am very pleased that VCU has become more proactive and a leader after many years of being reactive and a follower. I think much of this has to do with younger leadership and a more aggressive strategic plan.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
What's the net?
$0. VCU is a non-profit organization so they don't use words like net. If you have a surplus you just give yourself a raise and convince yourself your earned it, or you build something new with the money. Universities throughout will assure the public they are very concerned with the rising costs for an education. Meanwhile, they will continue to raise tuition every year as long as there are more students applying than getting accepted. Rising college costs being financed with student loans bears a striking resemblance to the housing bubble before it burst. Both assume prices will continue to go up, both offer government guarantee backed loans with easy qualification, and they both amount to over $1 trillion. We know how the housing bubble ended but I guess we'll have to wait and see how the student debt bubble works out.

Great job to Ed on getting a raise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ramrunner

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
Ed has "interesting" hair and comes off like a slickster. With that being said he is fantastic at fund raising so for that reason alone he probably deserves the raise. Granted he lucked into having Shaka the growth at VCU under his tenure has been amazing.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
$0. VCU is a non-profit organization so they don't use works like net. If you have a surplus you just give yourself a raise and convince yourself your earned it, or you build something new with the money. Universities throughout will assure the public they are very concerned with the rising costs for an education. Meanwhile, they will continue to raise tuition every year as long as there are more students applying than getting accepted. Rising college costs being financed with student loans bears a striking resemblance to the housing bubble before it burst. Both assume prices will continue to go up, both offer government guarantee backed loans with easy qualification, and they both amount to over $1 trillion. We know how the housing bubble ended but I guess we'll have to wait and see how the student debt bubble works out.

Great job to Ed on getting a raise.
Excellent answer to the net profit question.

I would like to add that you judge ROI (when spending equals revenue) by the increase in happiness, satisfaction, victories, improvement in amenities, increase in quality application/admissions, increase in school's reputation (through academic achievements, research and marketing) and ability to retain the top of the line admin, faculty and staff.

I understand that some will not understand it, some will be envious, some will be bitter due to resentment of past actions by the AD, some will not understand how Shaka recruited Ed, or some just can't accept anything that they haven't approved, but to ignore the relationship between Shaka and Ed, ignore the win percentage and record setting academic achievement (without jeapordizing talent or athletic performance) or the significance of the new practice facility (with only the women half being built through student funds)....

I noticed that the majority of the fans not agreeing with this move are the same fans who don't agree with much the athletic department does (in recent years). I could have pretty much listed who they would be...with a few more to come. If you don't care for Ed or some of his decisions, obviously you aren't going to agree with him being rewarded....unless you look beyond your biases and look at the direction we are heading in through his watch. It is amazing how many folks can't trust the decision making of the president of VCU and a Board of Visitors (full of some of the great business/legal minds of the region).

Last edited:

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ed has "interesting" hair and comes off like a slickster. With that being said he is fantastic at fund raising so for that reason alone he probably deserves the raise. Granted he lucked into having Shaka the growth at VCU under his tenure has been amazing.

Yes, but if it wasn't for Shaka and the basketball program then the job probably wouldn't have been available in the first place.