Emerald Coast Classic

IstanbulRam

Top Member
Nov 29, 2016
Does anyone understand the "campus games" for Thanksgiving tournaments? What do Jacksonville St and Alabama St get out of it outside of playing some elite competition? What does VCU get out of playing two cupcakes in November? I would prefer to play some high-level low-majors with real shots at auto bids. It seems odd that in order to play two games against top competition we are contractually obligated to play two weak teams.

zackry93

Top Member
Insider
Mar 14, 2016
Does anyone understand the "campus games" for Thanksgiving tournaments? What do Jacksonville St and Alabama St get out of it outside of playing some elite competition? What does VCU get out of playing two cupcakes in November? I would prefer to play some high-level low-majors with real shots at auto bids. It seems odd that in order to play two games against top competition we are contractually obligated to play two weak teams.
It's because of weird NCAA rules of course. If you don't play in a tournament you can only play 29 games while if you play in a tournament you can play 27 games plus up to 4 tournament games. These tournaments don't really want to host 16 games to let teams play all 4 games at the tournament. Some do a round robbin setup but i think most don't. So instead you play these early campus games that are part of the tournament but really aren't so you can get 31 games but the tournament is sure that the big boys are the ones playing in the tournament. And this let them put schedule out in advance. No tournament wants Alabama St as one of their marquee teams so this set up helps them reach 31 games because without it those schools would struggle to find tournaments. And I'm sure there money plays a more important role for all involved.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Y'all came down early. If you get to PCB eat at Dusty's and consider Dat Cajun Place! Triple J's is the winner there too!

Reactions: mrgeode

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Y'all came down early. If you get to PCB eat at Dusty's and consider Dat Cajun Place! Triple J's is the winner there too!
Uncle Ernies is also a cool spot to eat with outdoor seating. Right on the Bay, just a few minutes East of PCB across the bridge.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Uncle Ernie's got demolished because of Hurricane Michael. They are rebuilding however.
I checked a few months after the hurricane and had hoped they’d repaired by now. We have a condo at PCB on the beach and Ernie’s is one of our favorite spots.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
I was listening to ESPN 104.3 Panama City last week and I believe the Jacksonville States and Alabama States are playing in the ECC. Those games will be in the afternoon and are free for anyone to attend. So good for them.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN