"Fair Pay to play Act "and it's impact on VCU

Dec 2, 2012
Here's A link to a story about it....

So, does anyone else think that this is long overdue?

Will this level the playing field, because a good team, like say VCU final four team could have gotten some endorsement deal.

Or will this push everyone to a P5 conference, because you'll get more eyeballs and dollars at a P% school, and more endorsements?

Yes it's probably going to be tied up in court for a few years but it;s the offseason.

I think it will be like the CA emissions standards: It has a big enough impact to influence the rest of the country.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I am curious to see how this plays out. I do have some questions about how this will play out.

Can someone explain to me the legal theory on how a state can change the amateur athletic rules for an organization?

How will this impact the non revenue sports where they cost the schools a bunch of money? Also, what about Title 9?

For the schools who use student fees/ tuition to cover the cost of D1 athletics, how will the students react to having to fund programs while the athletes sign endorsement deals?

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I am curious to see how this plays out. I do have some questions about how this will play out.

Can someone explain to me the legal theory on how a state can change the amateur athletic rules for an organization?

How will this impact the non revenue sports where they cost the schools a bunch of money? Also, what about Title 9?

For the schools who use student fees/ tuition to cover the cost of D1 athletics, how will the students react to having to fund programs while the athletes sign endorsement deals?
I'm not a sports lawyer, but this law is meaningless on its own. The NCAA still sets the standards and probably could ignore this law completely (California could try to enforce, but I'd guess it would be struck down). This is a symbolic gesture intended to spur the NCAA into action.

I think it's stupid. If there was such a high demand for freshman basketball or football players, either new leagues would emerge to fill the market or the NBA/NFL would change their rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Other states are going to start getting tons of pressure to pass the same laws so their schools can remain competitive. My bet is nearly every state passes this within 5 years.

Reactions: umwram and Newboy

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
This is total BS. Allowing athletes to take sponsorship deals gives only a very select few access to this money. It will do absolutely nothing for 99% of college athletes on schollies. And what about the walk-ons? Do they deserve less while they're paying their own way and are members of the teams????

What do field hockey or rowing or tennis players get? Absolutely nothing. It will destroy the competitive balance that the NCAA has been espousing. You go to a CA school as a highly regarded recruit you get to be on a Wheaties box. So why would you go anywhere else? The government needs to stick to their business.

If they want to aid players give them ALL a stipend. Not just the large revenue generators. The field hockey player gets the same as the 1st team AA football player. If it's going to happen it has to be a fair and level amount for everyone.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
This is total BS. Allowing athletes to take sponsorship deals gives only a very select few access to this money. It will do absolutely nothing for 99% of college athletes on schollies. And what about the walk-ons? Do they deserve less while they're paying their own way and are members of the teams????

What do field hockey or rowing or tennis players get? Absolutely nothing. It will destroy the competitive balance that the NCAA has been espousing. You go to a CA school as a highly regarded recruit you get to be on a Wheaties box. So why would you go anywhere else? The government needs to stick to their business.

If they want to aid players give them ALL a stipend. Not just the large revenue generators. The field hockey player gets the same as the 1st team AA football player. If it's going to happen it has to be a fair and level amount for everyone.
This bill merely empowers student athletes to make money on their name if someone outside the school wants to pay them. Neither the school nor the NCAA has any business interfering in that endeavor.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This bill merely empowers student athletes to make money on their name if someone outside the school wants to pay them. Neither the school nor the NCAA has any business interfering in that endeavor.
Yep and athletes like Katie Ledecky could make money now. I think she had to quit school so she could capitalize financially while she is in her prime. It would allow athletes to create and sell things with their name or likeness to fans and for the school to provide things like jerseys with player's names on them. Right?

Last edited:
Reactions: WestEndEd

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Ummm, not quite. The NCAA sets standards for its member schools, one of which is student athletes must be amateurs. That means athletes with endorsement deals and agents are ineligible to participate in NCAA games.

The California bill attempts to prevent the NCAA from setting standards and/or enforcing them.

You go to a CA school as a highly regarded recruit you get to be on a Wheaties box. So why would you go anywhere else?
Ya, that won't happen. Either the NCAA rules will change for all schools, schools that allow pro athletes will barred from competing in NCAA events, or Californias law will be invalidated and status quo continues.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Yep and athletes like Katie Ledecky could make money now. I think she had to quit school so she could capitalize financially while she is in her prime. It would allow athletes to sell create and sell things with their name or likeness to fans and for the school to provide things like jerseys with player's names on them. Right?
What? You can attend school and be a pro athlete. The restriction is against having pros compete at the collegiate level.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Then let them go pro. By selling their name and image they are by definition pro. NCAA will take care of this. Again, my argument is valid. Do only the precious few get to make money while the remainder of the athletes get nothing? They have the NBA, NFL etc etc for that. Either they are paid athletes or sholarship athletes. Can't have it both ways and they do have the choice which one to be.

Next thing you know pro golfers will be in the olympics. Oh yeah, they already did that and bastardized the games....

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Yep and athletes like Katie Ledecky could make money now. I think she had to quit school so she could capitalize financially while she is in her prime. It would allow athletes to sell create and sell things with their name or likeness to fans and for the school to provide things like jerseys with player's names on them. Right?
I guess the athlete will have the power to be paid by the school for their likeness or name on anything (including their jerseys). Will there be a rule against that? This is a rather large slippery slope we're now on.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I think what is often forgotten by proponents of paying college athletes is that a lot of the interest in college sports is generated by the schools, not the players. Yes, people may general get excited to see generational talents. But most people follow teams because they associate with the team/school.

If we're being honest, how many of you would have cared (as much) about Weber, Graham, Sanders, or Maynor if they had been playing for a local pro team instead of VCU?

Put another way, if bills like the one California kill off college sports as we know them today, whose really better off? The Mo Allie Coxs and Troy Daniels of the world?

Reactions: Hoos A Ram

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Here's an idea.... if college players wanna get paid with endorsement deals while they are playing college ball.... That's fine. Just pull their scholarship & give it to a less fortunate player who may not have a scholarship or may not have a full scholarship.

Let them stay in college as they may not be ready for the pros yet.... and/or the NBA still hasn't removed the "1 & done" rule so kids can go pro right out of HS again...... and let these kids use the money they are earning in endorsement deals to pay their own way through college.

For example, a guy like Zion Williamson last year... EASILY, woulda had tons of endorsement deals prior to going pro after this past season.... With the money he woulda been making through endorsements, he coulda paid his way through Duke.... while someone on the end of the bench may not be as fortunate.

Plus, maybe, since these guys making all these endorsements are gonna be getting paid so much.... maybe they'll take a money management class or something to make sure they don't blow all their money.

Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, among other college athletes in the last decade or two also could have benefited from a system like this with their images in college. I know there's a ton of others who could've benefited too.

Reactions: SpiderRAM