"Fair Pay to play Act "and it's impact on VCU

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
On the day before a player is going to announce which school he is attending, a booster pays the player 1.5 million for an autographed photo.
That would be profiting from his likeness, so that should be fine, right?
As long as there is no quid pro quo, this is fine!

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
On the day before a player is going to announce which school he is attending, a booster pays the player 1.5 million for an autographed photo.
That would be profiting from his likeness, so that should be fine, right?
I say no...
1. Is the booster, the supporter of a school that is actively recruiting this kid?

2. No one's gonna pay that much for a HS kid's autograph..... BUT, if there were someone that dumb to do it, and this kid was the greatest talent they've ever seen.... Better than Lebron, Durant, Curry, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt.... whoever. If this kid is that dang good.... why doesn't he just go play a year in the D-League or overseas? If he's that dang good, he knows he's gonna be in the NBA the following year.... why mess around with College?

As long as there is no quid pro quo, this is fine!
You don't think that's gonna draw some red flags at some point? Cause if some kid just made $1.5 Mill of an autograph... you know like most kids out of HS who are still immature to a point.... they're gonna be bragging that they just made the easiest million dollars of their life.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I think if we make payments ABOVE BOARD it's going to be much fairer than what we have now, which is illegal payments. And much less corrupt
I think if the NCAA just grew a pair and started dropping the hammer on these programs with all the corruption stuff... maybe teams would actually think about stopping doing that.... instead of just trying to find another way to cheat & hopefully not get caught.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I say no...
1. Is the booster, the supporter of a school that is actively recruiting this kid?

2. No one's gonna pay that much for a HS kid's autograph..... BUT, if there were someone that dumb to do it, and this kid was the greatest talent they've ever seen.... Better than Lebron, Durant, Curry, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Wilt.... whoever. If this kid is that dang good.... why doesn't he just go play a year in the D-League or overseas? If he's that dang good, he knows he's gonna be in the NBA the following year.... why mess around with College?

You don't think that's gonna draw some red flags at some point? Cause if some kid just made $1.5 Mill of an autograph... you know like most kids out of HS who are still immature to a point.... they're gonna be bragging that they just made the easiest million dollars of their life.
Did you seen how much money changed hands according to the Federal trials?

Mar 1, 2015
I think if the NCAA just grew a pair and started dropping the hammer on these programs with all the corruption stuff... maybe teams would actually think about stopping doing that.... instead of just trying to find another way to cheat & hopefully not get caught.
The NCAA authority flows from the schools. Everyone seems fat and happy.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Trust me.... I agree with you. I was just making a point, that if we are gonna do this endorsements for college athletes nonsense.... there's really no "fair way" to do it.... and no matter how you do it, there's gonna be a large group of people pissed off.

I'm of the opinion.... you wanna get paid the big bucks? Go Pro. Baseball can go pro at 18, Basketball has the D-League & Overseas. Football has Arena football. Soccer you can go pro at 16 in different leagues around the world. Sure most of those (Minor Leagues, Arena Football.. etc.) are not gonna pay the big bucks like the pros do... but you're still getting paid more than you would playing in college. Plus then you can get all the endorsements you want. And on top of that.... if you're playing in the minor leagues somewhere.... you're more apt to get noticed by the corresponding pro team.

If you wanna be a Student-Athlete.... you wanna get an education, so that when your long or short athletic career ends, you have something to fall back on.... then go to college, get your scholarship & all the other stuff student athletes get covered for them.... and stop complaining about not getting paid enough or w/e.

I'm more so of the opinion that instead of figuring out ways to allow college athletes to get endorsement money..... why don't we figure out a way to make it so every D1 athlete gets a full scholarship. Some of these athletes complaining about people using their likenesses and not being compensated..... need to take a step back and realize what they have, while some other players on their own team.... may not have a full scholarship or even any scholarship at all.

So for all these athletes complaining about schools or the NCAA using their likenesses and not being fairly compensated..... I call Bull. They are more than fairly compensated.... the problem is, half of them either don't realize it because they don't actually go to class or they've never taken a business class of some kind.... or they don't care about all the benefits they get as a student athlete and just want money.
Can I put a double like on this?

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
If they shouldn't then who should? Everyone else involved seems to be getting rich.
They are students until and unless they go pro and aren't. It's that simple no matter what the others involved are doing. I got an Economics scholarship and even got published. I got nothing more than school paid for. That's all. Did I deserve more? I can't honestly say I did and I ended up OK and not angry at anyone for not giving me more than I deserved.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
My boss says I should just be grateful for all of the free mandatory corporate training courses I have to... I mean get to... take. Oh, and for the occasional piece of company-branded swag.
I just like the free golf when I take clients out.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Its a convincing cheat message given by those in charge. Have not heard any guidelines on how to do it and not get caught. The Privilege 5 have their way.