"Fair Pay to play Act "and it's impact on VCU

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
You know with Title 9 right? A Federal law boys and girls MUST have equal benefits/pay but we know , like we know now and how it is, that that will never be. There is already payola in big time football. What's gonna change with this law?

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
So will the money be distributed equitably? Will the coxswain on the rowing team get the same amount as the star quarterback? Doubtful but possible. Does the coxswain expect the same salary? What about the 13th player on the basketball team? I would suspect the answer lies somewhere in between. I think the current stipend could be expanded with an emphasis on getting each and every player a meaningful degree that was actually earned in a field that would give him the chance to have a non-sport future.
The Coxswain should get almost nothing. He is a little skinny kid who just hollers right or left.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
You know with Title 9 right? A Federal law boys and girls MUST have equal benefits/pay but we know , like we know now and how it is, that that will never be. There is already payola in big time football. What's gonna change with this law?
Title 9 would not apply to money athletes got from endorsements. It only applies to what schools provide the athletes.

Reactions: RAM7889

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
I don't see how getting paid for an endorsement deal makes you a pro athlete. I don't see how an endorsement deal, if allowed for all athletes, really favors any school or conference. It may even help level the playing field. Imagine you're a star high school athlete and Wheaties wants to put your image on a cereal box. With all that cash in your wallet, it doesn't really matter if you choose VCU or Kentucky as your college basketball program for a year.

Reactions: PRock

RAM7889

Top Member
Insider
Apr 20, 2009
I don't see how getting paid for an endorsement deal makes you a pro athlete. I don't see how an endorsement deal, if allowed for all athletes, really favors any school or conference. It may even help level the playing field. Imagine you're a star high school athlete and Wheaties wants to put your image on a cereal box. With all that cash in your wallet, it doesn't really matter if you choose VCU or Kentucky as your college basketball program for a year.
I agree with your first sentence, my problem is that when the money flows, corruption follows!

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
That star running back getting $$$$ might want to pay a little to the offense line...if he wants to continue to have success

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Title 9 would not apply to money athletes got from endorsements. It only applies to what schools provide the athletes.
And we also know that Va Tech got into the ACC by the governor of Virginia. My point is graft will happen and so will women wanting to get paid. heck, I saw a woman referee in a professional football game today. You think she get's paid equally? We shall see what we shall see.

Dec 2, 2012
I agree with your first sentence, my problem is that when the money flows, corruption follows!
Actually, you're probably going to get a bigger endorsement deal from UK than VCU 99% of the time.

What I'd like to see is ALL the endorsement money put into a pool, and distributed to ALL D1 athletes.
They could all either get a bigger stipend, or be given a lump sum to put down on a house when they graduated, or have it put into a fund for retirement.
I would object to a bigger cut being automatically given to p5 athletes.
The issue I see is kids are not being paid for their own likeness.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Actually, you're probably going to get a bigger endorsement deal from UK than VCU 99% of the time.

What I'd like to see is ALL the endorsement money put into a pool, and distributed to ALL D1 athletes.
They could all either get a bigger stipend, or be given a lump sum to put down on a house when they graduated, or have it put into a fund for retirement.
I would object to a bigger cut being automatically given to p5 athletes.
The issue I see is kids are not being paid for their own likeness.
And this would be the problem with endorsements....

You suggest the endorsement money be put into a pull & distributed to all D1 athletes.... ok nothing wrong with that idea in theory.... however the issue then becomes..... how do you split it up so that it's fair and so that all D1 athletes get a piece of it.

There's no way you can fairly do that.... because If Player A at Duke is making $100,000 in Endorsements and Player B at Sam Houston state is not making any money in endorsements at all..... How can you justify player B getting even a small piece of the pie from all the endorsements when they have contributed nothing to them?

The person contributing 100K to the endorsement pool is gonna be upset that all this money that could/should rightfully be his/hers.... is now getting split amongst others who may not be nearly as marketable.

But then you're also going to have the students at Non P5 schools who will be complaining because they are not getting the same opportunities to get Endorsements like the kids at P5 schools do due to exposure.... thus limiting their chances of contributing to this pool, which in turn would limit how much, if any they get from this pool idea you're referring to.

And that's assuming there's no corruption going on behind the scenes, leading kids to go to different schools or what not.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
And we also know that Va Tech got into the ACC by the governor of Virginia. My point is graft will happen and so will women wanting to get paid. heck, I saw a woman referee in a professional football game today. You think she get's paid equally? We shall see what we shall see.
If athletes (both men and women) have the ability to negotiate and get paid through endorsements, then good for them.

I have a feeling that most college athletes that aren’t football or men’s basketball players will find that the have very little bargaining power to get an endorsement deal, though there will certainly be some exceptions for college players that have a future in the WNBA, MLB, NHL, etc.

Dec 2, 2012
And this would be the problem with endorsements....

You suggest the endorsement money be put into a pull & distributed to all D1 athletes.... ok nothing wrong with that idea in theory.... however the issue then becomes..... how do you split it up so that it's fair and so that all D1 athletes get a piece of it.

There's no way you can fairly do that.... because If Player A at Duke is making $100,000 in Endorsements and Player B at Sam Houston state is not making any money in endorsements at all..... How can you justify player B getting even a small piece of the pie from all the endorsements when they have contributed nothing to them?

The person contributing 100K to the endorsement pool is gonna be upset that all this money that could/should rightfully be his/hers.... is now getting split amongst others who may not be nearly as marketable.

But then you're also going to have the students at Non P5 schools who will be complaining because they are not getting the same opportunities to get Endorsements like the kids at P5 schools do due to exposure.... thus limiting their chances of contributing to this pool, which in turn would limit how much, if any they get from this pool idea you're referring to.

And that's assuming there's no corruption going on behind the scenes, leading kids to go to different schools or what not.
Well if player A doesn't have a player B to dunk on, he's not gonna sell a lot of sneakers.
Its not about addressing a certain players value, its about athletes AS A CLASS sharing in the wealth they generate.

Last edited: