"Fair Pay to play Act "and it's impact on VCU

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Well if player A doesn't have a player B to dunk on, he's not gonna sell a lot of sneakers.
Its not about addressing a certain players value, its about athletes AS A CLASS sharing in the wealth they generate.
Ok....So you're saying all athletes in every sport whether its MBB/Football (revenue) or pretty much any other sport (Non-Revenue) should share the same amount of wealth no matter how marketable they are?

So again back to my earlier example.... Player A makes $100k in endorsements.... Player B makes 0. So player A & player B should get the same amount? Is that what you're saying? Again, why should player B get any of player A's money if their not deemed marketable.... because if they were marketable... they'd be getting their own endorsement money.

And that's just 2 athletes out of thousands athletes among the 350+ D1 schools across however many sports.

There's no good solution to this endorsement idea realistically.... because either you're going to have Non P5 athletes complaining they're not getting the same opportunities at endorsements.... or in your suggestion.... you're going to have the more marketable P5 players complaining because they're having to share their money with the non marketable players.

Neither scenario is really fair.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Mark Few is right...this was grandstanding by the Governor of California…this is the problem he is putting his attention and weight behind?
I’m 100% sure he’s putting his attention and weight behind a lot of problems.

The idiotic amateur athletic system in this country is certainly a problem and should be addressed.

Reactions: WestEndEd
Jul 14, 2011
Mark Few is right...this was grandstanding by the Governor of California…this is the problem he is putting his attention and weight behind?
I would agree with Few on the grandstanding comment. I'm glad he did it and trying to fix the system is great and all. However, the way he has gone about it seems very self serving. Like going on Lebron's show to sign the bill makes everything about him and Lebron. People forget the Northwestern Football teams fight to create a Union and the numerous advocates for change in college sports. Now it is just about Lebron and Newsome. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran for president after all this positive publicity.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Ok....So you're saying all athletes in every sport whether its MBB/Football (revenue) or pretty much any other sport (Non-Revenue) should share the same amount of wealth no matter how marketable they are?

So again back to my earlier example.... Player A makes $100k in endorsements.... Player B makes 0. So player A & player B should get the same amount? Is that what you're saying? Again, why should player B get any of player A's money if their not deemed marketable.... because if they were marketable... they'd be getting their own endorsement money.

And that's just 2 athletes out of thousands athletes among the 350+ D1 schools across however many sports.

There's no good solution to this endorsement idea realistically.... because either you're going to have Non P5 athletes complaining they're not getting the same opportunities at endorsements.... or in your suggestion.... you're going to have the more marketable P5 players complaining because they're having to share their money with the non marketable players.

Neither scenario is really fair.
You want to be on a Wheaties box give up your eligibility and by all means go do it. If not wait for your chance. This is a rabbit hole none of us really wants to go down. Once down there there's no way out. Gotta keep it clean and putting more money in a system that's already being abused won't seem like a bad thing anymore after. They sleep, eat, have a place to stay with a bunch of friends and, if they want, can get a decent education. They also get the adoration of us. They don't get rich and they shouldn't at this level.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Well if player A doesn't have a player B to dunk on, he's not gonna sell a lot of sneakers.
Its not about addressing a certain players value, its about athletes AS A CLASS sharing in the wealth they generate.
We should do that with wages here in the good ole US of A. Everybody takes home the same pay whatever their job, then everybody is happy!

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I would agree with Few on the grandstanding comment. I'm glad he did it and trying to fix the system is great and all. However, the way he has gone about it seems very self serving. Like going on Lebron's show to sign the bill makes everything about him and Lebron. People forget the Northwestern Football teams fight to create a Union and the numerous advocates for change in college sports. Now it is just about Lebron and Newsome. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran for president after all this positive publicity.
If people have forgotten about the Northwestern football team’s fight and the numerous other advocates for change, then perhaps that suggests that this kind of larger platform might be necessary for change to actually happen?

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
If there is a certain player on a team that I think is cute can I give her money for her likeness?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
You want to be on a Wheaties box give up your eligibility and by all means go do it. If not wait for your chance. This is a rabbit hole none of us really wants to go down. Once down there there's no way out. Gotta keep it clean and putting more money in a system that's already being abused won't seem like a bad thing anymore after. They sleep, eat, have a place to stay with a bunch of friends and, if they want, can get a decent education. They also get the adoration of us. They don't get rich and they shouldn't at this level.
If they shouldn't then who should? Everyone else involved seems to be getting rich.

Reactions: Ramaholic

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Or we could all receive no pay for our work.
My boss says I should just be grateful for all of the free mandatory corporate training courses I have to... I mean get to... take. Oh, and for the occasional piece of company-branded swag.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Trust me.... I agree with you. I was just making a point, that if we are gonna do this endorsements for college athletes nonsense.... there's really no "fair way" to do it.... and no matter how you do it, there's gonna be a large group of people pissed off.

I'm of the opinion.... you wanna get paid the big bucks? Go Pro. Baseball can go pro at 18, Basketball has the D-League & Overseas. Football has Arena football. Soccer you can go pro at 16 in different leagues around the world. Sure most of those (Minor Leagues, Arena Football.. etc.) are not gonna pay the big bucks like the pros do... but you're still getting paid more than you would playing in college. Plus then you can get all the endorsements you want. And on top of that.... if you're playing in the minor leagues somewhere.... you're more apt to get noticed by the corresponding pro team.

If you wanna be a Student-Athlete.... you wanna get an education, so that when your long or short athletic career ends, you have something to fall back on.... then go to college, get your scholarship & all the other stuff student athletes get covered for them.... and stop complaining about not getting paid enough or w/e.

I'm more so of the opinion that instead of figuring out ways to allow college athletes to get endorsement money..... why don't we figure out a way to make it so every D1 athlete gets a full scholarship. Some of these athletes complaining about people using their likenesses and not being compensated..... need to take a step back and realize what they have, while some other players on their own team.... may not have a full scholarship or even any scholarship at all.

So for all these athletes complaining about schools or the NCAA using their likenesses and not being fairly compensated..... I call Bull. They are more than fairly compensated.... the problem is, half of them either don't realize it because they don't actually go to class or they've never taken a business class of some kind.... or they don't care about all the benefits they get as a student athlete and just want money.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
On the day before a player is going to announce which school he is attending, a booster pays the player 1.5 million for an autographed photo.
That would be profiting from his likeness, so that should be fine, right?

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM