Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
After a year away from the Siegel Center for most, it was a welcomed return in last night’s Black & Gold exhibition game that provided a first look at this year’s Rams team. Mike Rhoades welcomed the team and the crowd — a reported 2311 in attendance, not VCU’s normal packed Siegel Center, but an overdue improvement over last year’s 250-person capacity — and provided Ram fans a glimpse of what to expect from this year’s group.
There are a number of huge questions that need to be answered after losing Bones Hyland to the NBA Draft and three players, Ace Baldwin (expected January return), Jamir Watkins (out for the season) and Jarren McAllister (out of the season), to injury, but we got our first hints of how that might look.
Here are my five key takeaways from watching last night’s exhibition:
THIS TEAM IS LONG
This was the main thing that I just couldn’t stop thinking about last night. It felt like almost everyone on the court was 6’8+ with a 7′ wingspan. The addition of Jalen...

Continue reading...

vcu_baum

Elite Member
Thing that REALLY stood out to me was Vince’s improved shooting and he looked more athletic than previous years. we already know Vince is a great defender for his size and a pretty good play maker. if he shoots like that the whole year don’t be surprised if his name appears in mock drafts. The league will never lose interest in good 3 and D players even if they’re a senior.

there were times the team looked a little sloppy and a lot of turnovers but that is to be expected. They’ll figure that out.

Hason looks more comfortable on offense and I feel like especially this year he will be asked to a least try and score the ball a little more. he’s definitely been working on his post game a she had a couple good post hooks/floaters and based on interviews he can make the 3 sometimes but we didn’t get to see that. Looking forward to see his offensive role. We know he’ll hold it down on defense, so we don’t really need to talk about that.

Nunn and kern look like, to me at least that they will become big contributors to this team as the season progresses. Nunn I’m pretty sure will start at pg. still think he has some things to learn about handling pressure but overall he looked comfortable and it looks like he’ll be able to score at a decent clip. Kern is a huge guard! I was as close to the benches as you could be and he was as tall as Jimmy Nichols, I swear! He looks like a do everything kind of guard. If you’ve seen his high school highlights you know he’ll dunk on people but he looks like a pretty decent 3 point shooter too and that length and athleticism will be good on both ends of the court.

And last but not least. Curry looked awesome. I think he probably has the best finishing in the paint skills on the team. He’s very good at using his body initiating contact and elevating over the person to finish those layups. Looks like he’s still a little timid at taking 3s but if he boosts his confidence on those and starts making them at a good enough clip I think he’ll be really good this year.

And that’s the end of my vcu rant if you’ve made it this far lol!

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
This was a great read and overall I’m really excited for this year’s team. Assuming the injury bug doesn’t bite us again it looks like we will be in good hands. It’s going to be hard to distribute 200 minutes a game with such a talented bunch but I’d say that’s a good problem to have.

any box avail;able ? I realize its not your standard version but one usually bobs up. pretty please ?