For Funsies - All Freshman Class

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Because we have a week now with no VCU basketball, I thought it would be a good time to post a little fun debate about a potential all freshman class at VCU. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Ground Rules:
  1. Player must have played for VCU during their freshman year.
  2. A player can be considered based ONLY on their contribution as Freshman.
  3. Keep it fun and light :)
Also this is the first thread I've ever created so please don't lambast me if I screwed something up.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I kind of like this idea. Here’s my lineup although I admit some recency bias:

Ace Baldwin
JeQuan Lewis
B.A. Walker
Treveon Graham
Larry Sanders

Reactions: LQuarles

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
And Bones set the freshman 3 point record and was scoring a ton of points once his playing time increased late in the season.

Reactions: AlienAiden

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Michael Brown - may have been the best freshman ever at VCU when you consider what he added to the team and the production as fourth option

Kendrick- duh

Bones- bright spot in a bad season

Treveon- clearly best player on the team by end of first year

Bradford- day one starter, 113 offensive rating as a freshman, tough dude!

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
AARP reporting in: Complete stats are hard to come by but Ed Sherod, Monty Knight, Penny Elliot, Ren Watson, and Ro Lamb have to be considered.
So this is interesting. I know only anecdotally about the older players. I graduated in 2011 and didn’t really pay attention to the team until that year. Would you blend eras or keep them separated like this. Are the older guys truly that much better? I do think VCU had a 2 seed in the tourney during this time.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
So this is interesting. I know only anecdotally about the older players. I graduated in 2011 and didn’t really pay attention to the team until that year. Would you blend eras or keep them separated like this. Are the older guys truly that much better? I do think VCU had a 2 seed in the tourney during this time.
I was only dimly aware of the greatness of the Jesse Dark/Ren Watson era. My fandom started with Ed Sherod and has continued to date. The pre-Maynor golden era for me was the run beginning with Ed in 1977, then into the Ro Lamb, Danny Kotak, Calvin Duncan, Kenny Stancil, Freddie Brown era, through the Phil Stinnie era. Yes, those teams, especially from 81-85 with JD as coach, were every bit as good as the best VCU teams since. We lost all momentum with the coaching eras that followed. Sonny was capable but disinterested and Polio and McCarthy were just incompetent.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Michael Brown - may have been the best freshman ever at VCU when you consider what he added to the team and the production as fourth option

Kendrick- duh

Bones- bright spot in a bad season

Treveon- clearly best player on the team by end of first year

Bradford- day one starter, 113 offensive rating as a freshman, tough dude!

Pretty sure Michael Brown was also a day one starter. He also averaged 10.6 ppg his freshman year.

Also, Tic Price has to be on the all-freshman list. Tic averaged 13.4 ppg and 8.2 rpg his freshman year. Tic transferred to VA Tech after his sophomore year.

I would also put Jesse Dark into the conversation. He averaged 10.7 ppg his freshman year.

Regarding Treveon Graham, he only averaged 7 ppg and 3.2 rpg his freshman year. And Larry Sanders only averaged 4.9 ppg and 5.2 rpg his freshman year. Ren Watson had better stats his freshman year than Sanders did.

Other freshmen of note:
Shawn Hampton - 10.3 ppg/6.7 rpg
Nick George - 8.3 ppg/6.7 rpg

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA