For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Wow, those are some monster BBall programs. They are certainly cruising to be a multi-bid conference

It's easy for VCU fans to make fun of the CAA now, but they are probably doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Since VCU was in the CAA, they have now lost VCU, fodu, fmason, JMU and Georgia State. Three of those departures were due to football. Conference realignment is taking its toll at all levels.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Wow, those are some monster BBall programs. They are certainly cruising to be a multi-bid conference
Eh. Stony Brook has had some recent success (granted a lot of it was under Steve Pikiell who is now pounding nails at Rutgers), and Monmouth tends to be decent a lot of the time. Certainly better than Elon or W&M.

Hampton is weird. They just moved from the MEAC to the Big South and they have absolutely not been competitive.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
It's easy for VCU fans to make fun of the CAA now, but they are probably doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Since VCU was in the CAA, they have now lost VCU, fodu, fmason, JMU and Georgia State. Three of those departures were due to football. Conference realignment is taking its toll at all levels.
Agreed, my dad always hates on smaller conference teams and I try to pause and remind him that was us not too long ago. Plus - I LOVE college basketball and we know from experience how hard it is to be the best team in a one bid league.

CAA is doing the best they can. On the bright side, the A10 took Mason off of their hands.

Loyola-Chicago is a nice addition to the A-10. Would like to see Temple, Memphis or Wichita State join the A-10 as well, but I don't see Temple or Memphis joining as they are football schools (Memphis more so than Temple,) but maybe Wichita State is in play.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Good point. Plus they are hampered on whom they can get based on their FCS level football (D1a or aa or whatever it is called now). Most of the bigger programs either have a FBS-never going to get a playoff chance or to play in the big P5 bowl games level program or like us, they don't have a football program.
But I guess their push to make football a stronger element of their conference was a positive one (not for us of course) as basketball (their other major sport) was seeing attrition from the two other, and better basketball conferences in their region...the A10 and BE. Now (or they did until the loss of JMU) have a pretty strong FCS program with Delaware and JMU - With the loss of JMU, I wonder what Delaware may be thinking as they have a relatively strong program and big fanbase.