For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
What is going to happen to the ACC and the Heels? They are going to start plucking or get plucked.
It’s hard to say about the ACC. The conference has a Grant of Rights agreement through 2035. A school would have to pay a buyout of that $35-38 million time the 13 years left on the contract if they wanted to leave. Even the richest schools don’t have $450-500 million sitting around in their athletic departments to spend on a buyout.

Now, if half of the conference were to leave in a short period of time, then I think the GOR would be void. Having 7-8 schools leave at once is probably unlikely. Maybe some combination of UNC/UVA/Duke/ND to the Big Ten plus Clemson/FSU to the SEC and VT/Louisville/NC State to the Big 12 could happen, but that doesn’t seem likely. There aren’t a lot of good options for the ACC to poach though.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
It’s hard to say about the ACC. The conference has a Grant of Rights agreement through 2035. A school would have to pay a buyout of that $35-38 million time the 13 years left on the contract if they wanted to leave. Even the richest schools don’t have $450-500 million sitting around in their athletic departments to spend on a buyout.

Now, if half of the conference were to leave in a short period of time, then I think the GOR would be void. Having 7-8 schools leave at once is probably unlikely. Maybe some combination of UNC/UVA/Duke/ND to the Big Ten plus Clemson/FSU to the SEC and VT/Louisville/NC State to the Big 12 could happen, but that doesn’t seem likely. There aren’t a lot of good options for the ACC to poach though.
I could see Miami bolting to the SEC as well.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Whoever thought that Michigan and USC would meet during the season and be in the same conference?

1656636059180.png

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I bet there is a really good non-football conference out there that should expand to 20 to keep up with all of the other conference moves.

This is exactly where I have been and still am with all of this. I’ve mentioned it before in this very thread months ago. 100% will force the Big East to expand and expand soon in order to keep up. They will be looking for perennial non football tourney teams and we are and will be situated quite nicely to meet that requirement. And no way “Kansas University” gives up football.

I predict these super conferences will all eventually breakup after 25ish years after most of the schools get tired of not being at the top. They're going to want their opportunities to compete for conference championships back.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I predict these super conferences will all eventually breakup after 25ish years after most of the schools get tired of not being at the top. They're going to want their opportunities to compete for conference championships back.
Not if they’re pulling in close to $100 million a year from their conference.

Disagree. They’ll just all keep growing until it’s truly power vs non power. And the non power are gonna be screwed. As much as I know it doesn’t make sense for us I wish we had football right now just to have something to bargain with. As it stands we’re on the outside looking in from every angle.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Disagree. They’ll just all keep growing until it’s truly power vs non power. And the non power are gonna be screwed. As much as I know it doesn’t make sense for us I wish we had football right now just to have something to bargain with. As it stands we’re on the outside looking in from every angle.
I disagree about football. I think we’re better off (or at least in the same boat) in the upcoming scenarios than schools like Richmond (FCS football) and ODU (G5 football). Neither of those schools will ever be in a P4/P5 football conference or whatever develops.

Mercury

Elite Member

Having a football team nobody cares about doesn't give you something to bargain with.