For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "For Survival: Conference Realignment/Duck and Cover"

rvaram

Elite Member
The Big East isn’t going to increase its standing by adding anyone that they could add. Not Gonzaga. And certainly not VCU.
You don’t think the big east would increase its standing if they added one of the best basketball programs of the last decade?

rvaram

Elite Member
Fsu isn’t competing with Wake Forest of late. Don’t see that getting better in the sec

Eventually we’re going to kill the golden goose and people will tune out. I used to watch tons of nascar, it got away from its roots and has shed a lot of fans. I see some parallels between college football and that.

Getting rid of rivalries, constant tinkering with conferences, a few dominant teams.

rampart

Elite Member
Fsu isn’t competing with Wake Forest of late. Don’t see that getting better in the sec

Eventually we’re going to kill the golden goose and people will tune out. I used to watch tons of nascar, it got away from its roots and has shed a lot of fans. I see some parallels between college football and that.

Getting rid of rivalries, constant tinkering with conferences, a few dominant teams.
And in basketball, if they all get bids, there's not a lot of pressure to win regular season games- sort of like the NBA. I think that's helped mid- and low-level champions, who had to win every game, beat power five also-rans in past tournaments. (The football playoffs will probably expand too.)

BradRamFan

Elite Member
The majors have gotten everything they need out of the NCAA......They got the no sit rule on transfers, they got the open wallet NIL. With 20+ teams per conference they can push for additional conference games per season, add inter conference games during the OOC and play one tournament....thus shutting out most everyone outside of the P4 conferences.
Then, if they really wanted, they could go for the big money and completely bypass the big dance so they don't have to share any money with the NCAA. They could hold their conference tournaments and then hold their own 4 conference playoffs between the top 2 teams from each of the 4 conferences. They could even turn the playoffs into a best of 3 series. The networks would probably be scrambling to put those games on their networks. Could be major, major bucks.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
The majors have gotten everything they need out of the NCAA......They got the no sit rule on transfers, they got the open wallet NIL. With 20+ teams per conference they can push for additional conference games per season, add inter conference games during the OOC and play one tournament....thus shutting out most everyone outside of the P4 conferences.
Then, if they really wanted, they could go for the big money and completely bypass the big dance so they don't have to share any money with the NCAA. They could hold their conference tournaments and then hold their own 4 conference playoffs between the top 2 teams from each of the 4 conferences. They could even turn the playoffs into a best of 3 series. The networks would probably be scrambling to put those games on their networks. Could be major, major bucks.

That’s why the Big East will start gobbling up the best 9 basketball programs that don’t have football. So they can still at least get a seat at the basketball table.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Gotta think that there are 4 or 5 teams in the A10 that are much better than the cellar dwellers in the Big East now. More teams you have, the more bids you will get.

rvaram

Elite Member
Gotta think that there are 4 or 5 teams in the A10 that are much better than the cellar dwellers in the Big East now. More teams you have, the more bids you will get.
So far we’ve seen conferences add schools. I wonder if with all of this crazy shi.t going on if we’ll see some conferences force anyone out?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
When it comes to basketball, I don’t see this model working for them. A tournament just involving 4 major conferences isn’t going to generate the excitement or the money that the current NCAA Tournament does. It’s a golden goose that I don’t see them messing with anytime soon. And if you look at all of the champions and most of the Final Four teams over the decades, they come from P6 conferences. Other than Gonzaga and Butler, there aren’t any multiple FF teams. Other than Villanova, there hasn’t been a non-P5 champion in a while (UConn was in the AAC for one title but are now back in the BE).