For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
So far we’ve seen conferences add schools. I wonder if with all of this crazy shi.t going on if we’ll see some conferences force anyone out?
If the power conferences had had real vision 20 years ago, then they would have kicked out their consistently bad schools that don’t bring in revenue. They would have done it while TV contracts were much lower than they are today and the buyouts were pennies on the dollar compared to what they are now. Granted, there was no way to really envision today’s college sports landscape back then and the buyout amounts seemed like way too much back then.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
So far we’ve seen conferences add schools. I wonder if with all of this crazy shi.t going on if we’ll see some conferences force anyone out?
I was thinking about that the other day as well. Obviously it is harder to get teams out than add new teams, but some subtractions could be worth as much or more than the additions.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
A lot of my west coast friends have been begging the conference leadership to do this for years. Now they are forced to do it out of desperation to save the conference. They could have had BYU, Boise and Utah St., maybe poached OK St. Baylor... from Big 12, but sat on there hands. The Texas OK to SEC should have been hand writing on the wall this was coming. Frankly, as an Oregon football fan this is devastating. As much as we despise SC, without them in the conference recruiting just became a hundred times harder. Oregon almost has to go to the Big 10 now to survive and a nationally relevant program. I wonder now how many of the 5*s who have been on campus in the passed three weeks (10+), who were seriously considering Oregon, just said, Um Oregon, NO. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how this makes college sports, even football, better. Personally, I think it sucks!

BradRamFan

Elite Member
How would you like to the commissioner of the PAC-12 who was hired on July 1. 2021 and exactly one year later on July 1, 2022, you lose two of the biggest brand names (history wise) in sports in UCLA and USC. Dude is probably not have a very good July 4th weekend.
I'm having a really hard time figuring out how this makes college sports, even football, better. Personally,
It is not about making it better. It is about making more money.....and having more power.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
That’s why the Big East will start gobbling up the best 9 basketball programs that don’t have football. So they can still at least get a seat at the basketball table.

There are not 9 basketball only schools out there that would make the Big East stronger. That's not going to happen.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
October 13th, 2021

You need to put that article in context. Ackerman stated the following regarding expansion:

"Based on Commissioner Ackerman’s comments above and the things we know about the existing contract, I think any expansion to the league has to hit all of the following buttons:

• Do they make the Big East better or at the very least deeper, especially in men’s basketball?
  • Are they a basketball-first athletic department?
  • Are they a big enough addition that would make television executives open up their wallet a little bit wider?"
That is some very selective criteria that needs to be met, and the article only mentions two schools (Kansas & Gonzaga) which would be no-brainers for the Big East to add even if they were not looking to expand. Outside of Kansas & Gonzaga, I can't think of any other basketball only school that's going to meet the third bullet point.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I can’t think of a single reason why Kansas would want to go to the Big East. They make way more money now and they play in a better basketball conference

The only reason would be if they thought it was in their best interest to drop football. Personally, I'm keeping football and letting them get creamed every Saturday for the option to continue to play Big 12 basketball. If the Big 12 were to add Arizona and Arizona State, then both Arizona and Kansas would get their shot at winning a football game each season in their annual "pillow fight". But, basketball wise, the Big 12 would be an even stronger league with the addition of Arizona.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
You need to put that article in context. Ackerman stated the following regarding expansion:

"Based on Commissioner Ackerman’s comments above and the things we know about the existing contract, I think any expansion to the league has to hit all of the following buttons:

• Do they make the Big East better or at the very least deeper, especially in men’s basketball?
  • Are they a big enough addition that would make television executives open up their wallet a little bit wider?"
That is some very selective criteria that needs to be met, and the article only mentions two schools (Kansas & Gonzaga) which would be no-brainers for the Big East to add even if they were not looking to expand. Outside of Kansas & Gonzaga, I can't think of any other basketball only school that's going to meet the third bullet point.

Look, you said, “there has been no talk about expanding” after I said they “were looking into expanding”. You asked me to back up my comment, so I looked it up for you on the interweb and provided you the link. I don’t need to provide anymore context than that. If you or others want to delve into it more, read the link.

Mercury

Elite Member
The Big East will eventually have to get off their round robin high horse and realize that they have to expand.

Schools that don’t have shiny names but invest in their programs, consistently win and have rabid fan bases will be their only real options. Gonzaga, Kansas etc aren’t going to be walking through their doors anytime soon.,

RamDanFan

Elite Member

Her criteria was based on the realignment climate in the Fall of 2021, not the Summer of 2022. As #Ramlove81 mentioned, the PAC 10 probably should have had some foresight and been more aggressive about adding teams when they had the chance. Now look where they are. This is not a static environment and I would be hesitant to apply a commissioner‘s comments as absolute so profoundly 10 months after they were made.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I can’t think of a single reason why Kansas would want to go to the Big East. They make way more money now and they play in a better basketball conference
They wouldn’t unless the PAC 12 and/or ACC cannibalized the Big 12.