For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I’m not going to claim this to be 100% true, but it comes from a person I know that is very well connected to UNC’s athletic department.

”North Carolina has an open invitation to join from both the SEC and the BIG 10. Now, going without the anchors of dook or lolstate is being discussed.”

Ramlove81

Elite Member
How would you like to the commissioner of the PAC-12 who was hired on July 1. 2021 and exactly one year later on July 1, 2022, you lose two of the biggest brand names (history wise) in sports in UCLA and USC. Dude is probably not have a very good July 4th weekend.

It is not about making it better. It is about making more money.....and having more power.
Yes, which will almost certainly make it worse.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I’m not going to claim this to be 100% true, but it comes from a person I know that is very well connected to UNC’s athletic department.

”North Carolina has an open invitation to join from both the SEC and the BIG 10. Now, going without the anchors of dook or lolstate is being discussed.”
So …according to your source the two schools in all of college football that can go to any conference they want are ND and UNC

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Inclined to agree. I could see UNC bolting to the SEC given their recent investment in the football program.
There are a handful of schools that can go almost anywhere they want.

Notre Dame
UNC
Oregon
Stanford
Clemson
Miami
maybe UVA

More borderline:
Washington
Arizona State
Florida State (would be higher, but the SEC already has Florida and I think the Big Ten would take Miami before them)

Ramdog

Elite Member

Notre Dame
UNC
Oregon
Stanford
Clemson
Miami
maybe UVA

More borderline:
Washington
Arizona State
Florida State (would be higher, but the SEC already has Florida and I think the Big Ten would take Miami before them)
Academics would keep several of those school from ever being considered by the big ten

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Academics would keep several of those school from ever being considered by the big ten
The academics issue is becoming less of an issue. They’re going to be willing to have a couple schools that are less highly regarded if it means creating a strong conference that will survive the next 2-3 decades of change. Heck, they let Nebraska in already.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
Looks like at some point, the "P5" is going to become the "P4." Or the "P2+2." What are your opinions about what it would take to decide one of the former power conferences isn't in that category any more?

Notre Dame
UNC
Oregon
Stanford
Clemson
Miami
maybe UVA

More borderline:
Washington
Arizona State
Yes, these schools could as well.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
It is going to be really sad the day the ACC dies.
To be honest, if the ACC implodes, I would like to see Duke go to the BE. A public university that I think would fit in the "academic" appearance of the BE would be UVa. Although both will probably go the football conference/P4 route unfortunately.
But the BE better watch it. If I were a 20 team P4 conference, I might opt to give a 1/20 of a football share per each team to a basketball only school that has the potential to put the conference in the spotlight in the NCAA......say, a team like Villanova. I might be completely wrong on this but I don't see where they would lose much in do so.

rvaram

Elite Member
It is going to be really sad the day the ACC dies.
To be honest, if the ACC implodes, I would like to see Duke go to the BE. A public university that I think would fit in the "academic" appearance of the BE would be UVa. Although both will probably go the football conference/P4 route unfortunately.
But the BE better watch it. If I were a 20 team P4 conference, I might opt to give a 1/20 of a football share per each team to a basketball only school that has the potential to put the conference in the spotlight in the NCAA......say, a team like Villanova. I might be completely wrong on this but I don't see where they would lose much in do so.
I feel like the acc sort of has it coming. If I recall, they were the first (or at least the most egregious) of the major conferences to really break from the traditional geographic boundaries and poached from the big east for years