For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Can’t help myself…hope VaTech finds themselves left holding the bag…homeless
Worst case scenario, they probably end up in the Big 12 with West Virginia and Cincinnati. Louisville, NC State, and Pittsburgh are other possibilities to go that direction. It wouldn’t be the worst place to be. But I don’t think the ACC would totally go away. The ACC schools that didn’t go to the SEC or Big Ten would probably stay together and try to add a few more programs. All of this is probably a decade away with the ACC GOR in effect for about 15 more years.

Can’t help myself…hope VaTech finds themselves left holding the bag…homeless

Never forgiven the Blacksburg school for luring away Tic Price .... The first-team All-Stater from Danville averaged 13.4 as a freshman and 12.8 as a sophomore, under Coach Noe ... had he stayed, The Price is Right would have had two more seasons with Henderson and Watson, under Kirk .... and one with Ed Sherod.

as far as ACC schools defecting - I think it is pretty unlikely for at least 10 years unless the ACC changes rules that require leaving teams to forfeit all TV revenues they earn in the new conference they go to until 2036 to the ACC
(as I understand that means if UNC goes to Big Ten the roughly $50+ million of TV money they get annually (estimate) goes directly to the ACC coffers until 2036 under the grant of rights obligations - so theoretically if UNC bolted in 2025 it could lose $500 million est. of tv money thru 2036)
is this others understanding too?

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
as far as ACC schools defecting - I think it is pretty unlikely for at least 10 years unless the ACC changes rules that require leaving teams to forfeit all TV revenues they earn in the new conference they go to until 2036 to the ACC
(as I understand that means if UNC goes to Big Ten the roughly $50+ million of TV money they get annually (estimate) goes directly to the ACC coffers until 2036 under the grant of rights obligations)
is this others understanding too?
The whole $50 million wouldn’t go to the ACC because the ACC contract isn’t worth $50 million a year. An ACC school that left would only have to cover the amount the ACC contract is worth (about $35 million a year). And it’s not clear that they would have to cover that full amount. I’ve never seen confirmation on exactly what the GOR agreement would require. Also, the Big Ten payout could approach $100 million a year. If that were to happen, then any ACC school with an invite would be stupid not to leave and just pay the GOR amount. The amount of money that’s potentially on the table is different that what’s ever existed in college sports.

There’s also the possibility that the SEC and Big Ten could conspire to invite so many ACC schools between the two of them that the GOR would be nullified. If half (7) of the ACC full members left at once, the the GOR is nullified. The Big Ten could invite UNC, UVA, Miami, and Clemson. The SEC could invite Florida State, NC State, and Virginia Tech. If all 7 teams agreed at once, then the GOR is dead and so is the ACC.

As a UNC fan, I want something like this to happen. The new Big Ten that would be created would be stronger than every conference, including the SEC. I wouldn’t mind seeing a 28 team conference with 4 football divisions. Every season you’d play the other 6 teams in your division, one yearly rival from each division (examples listed to the right), and one extra out of division game. In basketball, you’d play a round robin against the others 27 teams. Don’t have a conference tournament and make an agreement with the NCAA to allow 3 extra regular season games in exchange. That still allows for one early season tournament and another 5-6 out of conference games.

About 24 of the top 28 TV markets in the country would be covered. A lot of the top college brands would be included. This conference could probably have a $4-5 billion TV contract for football/basketball that would pay out $150 million per school

Maryland —— Rutgers, Iowa, Washington
Penn State —— Michigan, Mich St, Arizona ST
Virginia —— Purdue, NW, Stanford
North Carolina —— Indiana, Wisconsin, USC
Clemson —— Ohio St, Nebraska, UCLA
Miami —— Illinois, Minnesota, ND
Florida State —— Kansas, Houston, Oregon

Rutgers —— Maryland, NW, Oregon
Indiana —— UNC, Iowa, UCLA
Purdue —— UVA, Nebraska, Stanford
Illinois —— Miami, Wisconsin, Washington
Michigan —— Penn St, Michigan St, ND
Ohio State —— Clemson, Minnesota, USC
Kansas —— Florida St, Houston, Arizona St

Michigan State —— Penn St, Michigan, ND
Northwestern —— UVA, Rutgers, Stanford
Iowa —— Maryland, Indiana, Washington
Nebraska —— Clemson, Purdue, Oregon
Minnesota —— Miami, Ohio St, UCLA
Wisconsin —— UNC, Illinois, USC
Houston —— Florida St, Kansas, Arizona St

Notre Dame —— Miami, Michigan, Michigan St
Washington —— Maryland, Illinois, Iowa
Oregon —— Florida St, Rutgers, Nebraska
Stanford —— UVA, Purdue, NW
Southern Cal —— UNC, Ohio St, Wisconsin
UCLA —— Clemson, Indiana, Minnesota
Arizona State —— Penn St, Kansas, Houston

Last edited:
The whole $50 million wouldn’t go to the ACC because the ACC contract isn’t worth $50 million a year. An ACC school that left would only have to cover the amount the ACC contract is worth (about $35 million a year). And it’s not clear that they would have to cover that full amount. I’ve never seen confirmation on exactly what the GOR agreement would require. Also, the Big Ten payout could approach $100 million a year. If that were to happen, then any ACC school with an invite would be stupid not to leave and just pay the GOR amount. The amount of money that’s potentially on the table is different that what’s ever existed in college sports.
As I understand using my example if UNC goes to Big Ten, they grant rights to TV or Big Ten to televise their games and that money (as you suggest 100 million for each big ten school) would be what UNC would forfeit to ACC until 2036
if UNC left ACC , I am pretty sure TV contract with ACC could/would be amended to reduce annual payment to ACC because of the value tv loses without televising UNC games

I am going to attach an article which has a copy of the 2013 GOR ACC contract as a link in it (though it hurts my head to read all that legalise)

Like i said, I may be off in my understanding

VCU Heel

Elite Member
As I understand using my example if UNC goes to Big Ten, they grant rights to TV or Big Ten to televise their games and that money (as you suggest 100 million for each big ten school) would be what UNC would forfeit to ACC until 2036
if UNC left ACC , I am pretty sure TV contract with ACC could/would be amended to reduce annual payment to ACC because of the value tv loses without televising UNC games

I am going to attach an article which has a copy of the 2013 GOR ACC contract as a link in it (though it hurts my head to read all that legalise)

I’m pretty confident that a work around agreement would be done if a school left the ACC and was being paid more by their new conference that would allow that ACC team to keep a big chunk of the new revenues. Either way, I expect that the ACC will either be shattered all at once by a 7+ team invite to the SEC/Big Ten or teams will start leaving the ACC around 2030-2 when the current contract is closer to expiring. USC/UCLA announced in 2022 that they would leave the PAC 12 in 2024 (the same year their TV contract expires). Texas/Oklahoma announced in 2021 that they would leave the Big 12 in 2025 (the same year their TV contract expires), but will probably go ahead an leave in 2023 because the money is good and they want to get on with it.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider

I suspect the parties actually granting the monies will work it out…..in the ACC to SEC case, it’s basically an internal negotiation. If it is ACC to B10, a little more complicated, but they’ll figure out some sort of content swap and make it work.

VCU74

Elite Member
Something I stole off the internet-who knows….

The ACC Grant of Rights firewall holding steady for now. If that fails, Virginia Tech is gonna end up playing in C-USA

Mercury

Elite Member
If AZ, ASU, Colorado and Utah end up joining the Big 12 the AAC schools who joined and BYU are going to be the real winners of realignment.

Go from being a life raft to being on a yacht with some big time programs.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Something I stole off the internet-who knows….

The ACC Grant of Rights firewall holding steady for now. If that fails, Virginia Tech is gonna end up playing in C-USA
The moment that happens, I really hope Ed and MR get on the phone to Va Tech and let them know that we don't want them on our schedule.