For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Vanderbilt and South Carolina kinda stick out to this casual observer. If there's a mechanism for it, they might get axed. If those spots are needed, I bet Clemson would think long and hard about an invite. Maybe Notre Dame as well? I don't know a thing about football but those seem to be the two big names I'd try to fit in if I were in the driver's seat here.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Vanderbilt and South Carolina kinda stick out to this casual observer. If there's a mechanism for it, they might get axed. If those spots are needed, I bet Clemson would think long and hard about an invite. Maybe Notre Dame as well? I don't know a thing about football but those seem to be the two big names I'd try to fit in if I were in the driver's seat here.
Teams don’t tend to be axed from conferences. Every conference and in every year there will be last placed teams… so there will always be a place for a team like Vandy.

Clemson has no interest in the SEC. They make similar money in the ACC and don’t have to play Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Texas, LSU, etc. every year. Notre Dame wouldn’t be interested either and wouldn’t fit into the SEC culturally anyway.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Teams don’t tend to be axed from conferences. Every conference and in every year there will be last placed teams… so there will always be a place for a team like Vandy.

Clemson has no interest in the SEC. They make similar money in the ACC and don’t have to play Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Texas, LSU, etc. every year. Notre Dame wouldn’t be interested either and wouldn’t fit into the SEC culturally anyway.
Sure, there's A place, but is a super SEC THE place? Maybe so, maybe not.

Clemson's not interested now. As the arms race continues they might be - maybe the new playoff freezes out ACC teams? After all, who did they play?

Notre Dame is arguably not a great fit institutionally anywhere, but they're a huge name and so are welcome anywhere.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Sure, there's A place, but is a super SEC THE place? Maybe so, maybe not.

Clemson's not interested now. As the arms race continues they might be - maybe the new playoff freezes out ACC teams? After all, who did they play?

Notre Dame is arguably not a great fit institutionally anywhere, but they're a huge name and so are welcome anywhere.
The ACC is going to be just fine. So is The Big Ten. Neither will be frozen out of the playoff, especially once it’s expanded to 12 teams. Teams like Clemson and Ohio State will be able to make the playoff pretty much every year out of their current conference situations.

The Big 12 is close to dead and the Pac 12 has had issues for a while and has very few quality options to add in the future unless the Texas/OU deal with the SEC falls apart and the Pac 12 can swoop in and get them.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
The ACC is going to be just fine. So is The Big Ten. Neither will be frozen out of the playoff, especially once it’s expanded to 12 teams. Teams like Clemson and Ohio State will be able to make the playoff pretty much every year out of their current conference situations.

The Big 12 is close to dead and the Pac 12 has had issues for a while and has very few quality options to add in the future unless the Texas/OU deal with the SEC falls apart and the Pac 12 can swoop in and get them.
I don't think you're wrong, but programs like Clemson and Ohio State aren't going to be satisfied with "mak[ing] the playoff pretty much every year."

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I don't think you're wrong, but programs like Clemson and Ohio State aren't going to be satisfied with "mak[ing] the playoff pretty much every year."
They’re more successful than any program in the SEC not named Alabama, so they’re probably pretty satisfied.

Football drives the bus.

The B12 will poach the American, the American will poach the Mountain West, Sun Belt, and C-USA, Those conferences will poach the smaller conferences, and it will all iron out with a bunch of conferences with weird geography and a distinct lack of rivalries. Just ask ODU how it feels to be in C-USA when the closest thing they have to a "rival" in conference is Charlotte.

College football is turning into a farce. The vaunted 32-team super-league that will break away from the NCAA will destroy college athletics as a whole. Seven or eight programs will benefit; everyone else will be along for the ride, content to watch their teams finish 7-5 or 6-6 while even 3-9 bottom-dwellers get Bowl invitations as many SEC teams did last year. The whole thing is a joke.

For us? We're fine as long as we don't make the mistake of hopping into another football-first conference like the American. I can't imagine Wichita State feels very good right know knowing that there's a very real possibility Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, and UCF could all end up in the Big 12. They'd be left in the rotting husk of the conference, hoping and praying San Diego State, North Texas, and Western Kentucky can fill that void.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
That’s not necessarily how this will go down. Most of the Big 12 could be poached by the Pac-12 and Big Ten and whatever is left of the old Big 12 might have to join the AAC.

If the AAC did fall apart, then the A10 needs to be calling Wichita State immediately.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I don't know man. If the dominoes fall I see the Big12 and the ACC being decimated by the Big 10 if they choose to pick up teams for a super conference.

Last edited:
That’s not necessarily how this will go down. Most of the Big 12 could be poached by the Pac-12 and Big Ten and whatever is left of the old Big 12 might have to join the AAC.

If the AAC did fall apart, then the A10 needs to be calling Wichita State immediately.

Love to make that field hockey trip to Wichita ....

VCU Heel

Elite Member
If movement happens.....sure. I see the Big 10 looking at UVA, ND and maybe even your school along with Ga Tech.
UVA and VT aren’t going to split up. UNC isn’t going to split off from the other NC schools. Despite the fanbases not liking each other, the schools aren’t going to split.

ND currently can’t join any conference except the ACC because of the contracts they have. And much of the Big Ten doesn’t want ND because of historic rivalries.

And GT isn’t likely either. They aren’t going to leave their footprint and traditional rivals.

The big difference here is that the Big 12 couldn’t even get a good new TV even when they had Texas and OU. The ACC has a great deal with ESPN. They have their own network. And their total payout per team is on par with the SEC and Big Ten. Add ND to the ACC and their deal will continue to be as good as the SEC after these additions. There’s just not the same motivation for movement out of the ACC as there is with the Big 12 right now.