For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

rvaram

Elite Member
So presumably here, at least in the near future, Cal, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State would go to the Mountain West? Score one for the mid majors I guess.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
The Big Ten and SEC payouts are expect to increase to about $100 million per school by 2029.
America has a lovefest with the wrong sport IMO. But then again, I attended a basketball only school and I've never been a college football fan.

Sheesh, at 100 mill a year, a school could build a brand new 50-80K seat stadium every 5-10 years and never be in debt. Just crazy.

If UVa goes that route the state of Virginia needs to seriously consider large funding cut to them and redistribute those cuts to other growing universities....aka VCU - of course. :)

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
Their fan bases deliver and their alums invest and frankly, the SEC and Big10 usually put out a high quality product week in and week out.

Meanwhile back on Broad St, we have folks whining about the dollars spent acquiring a parcel of land for the Sports Village valued at $21MM, for $16MM, of which $14.5MM came in a grant from the state.

Different worlds, different mindsets and different outcomes.
My daughter is going to work at MSU in the athletic department this fall. Hoping Daddio gets some perks.

Mr. X

Elite Member
Insider
I know one person won't change much, but I'm going to avoid watching any "Big" games on television. I would also love to see the 300 non "Bigs" refuse to play them (or insist they pay a equitable share of those millions they're getting.)
Anytime you watch an SEC football game on TV, you are watching a game with many future pros.

Big east has zero need for the vast majority of the a10
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Assuming that Fordham, St. Joe's, and LaSalle go elsewhere, combining the conferences can help improve the quality of our schedules. That may be the most important thing when getting an enlarged bid with two super conferences.

BigE

Elite Member
RoeA7_tP_mini.jpg

Sports Business Journal
@SBJ
·
The Big 12 is in discussion to add up to six Pac-12 teams.
• Arizona
• Arizona State
• Colorado
• Oregon
• Utah
• Washington
There's also possibility of a merger between the two conferences (via @dennisdoddcbs)

rvaram

Elite Member
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Assuming that Fordham, St. Joe's, and LaSalle go elsewhere, combining the conferences can help improve the quality of our schedules. That may be the most important thing when getting an enlarged bid with two super conferences.
Assuming we make the Philly schools and Fordham disappear, what on earth would they want mason, Duquesne, GW or UMass for?

Rhody, Richmond, Davidson, the Bonnies - eh, maybe better than the above but still they aren’t adding much value.

Us - we don’t fit the mold by any means. We get the new athletic village completed and we’d certainly have the facilities but without pegging off a couple of sweet 16s at a minimum it’s a long shot.

Slu - institutional fit, but they haven’t been that good. Still I’d put them ahead of us.

Dayton imo would be the most likely a10 to Big East team right now

But my main point here is even if we throw ourselves in the mix with a little homer bias the Big East could pick and choose exactly who they want from the a10 to join. Absolutely zero reason or need for them to offer any sort of merger deal with the a10.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
A RI loss would really hurt but Providence probably protects us from that occurring.

Providence is to URI as Georgetown is to VCU...Friars and Hoyas won’t let it happen. Xavier doesn’t want Dayton, but 12 is a nice round number and the obvious top candidate is Dayton

Besides the high quality bball? They have a legit Arena that is packed on the regular AND is a major event locale every year for The Big Dance’s start.

It is what it is...and, IMO, VCU to the Big East will always be a pipe dream.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
There is just too much athletic talent in basketball to tie up compared to football. So therefore, I don’t see these mega conferences having their way with basketball like they will with football.
The Big East just has to level the field by having a similar amount of teams in robust markets vying for tournament win shares. If you are only putting 4 of 11 teams in The Dance v/s The Big 10 putting 10 of 20, well, then you can see where that might not be too good for you in the long run.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Providence is to URI as Georgetown is to VCU...Friars and Hoyas won’t let it happen. Xavier doesn’t want Dayton, but 12 is a nice round number and the obvious top candidate is Dayton

Besides the high quality bball? They have a legit Arena that is packed on the regular AND is a major event locale every year for The Big Dance’s start.

It is what it is...and, IMO, VCU to the Big East will always be a pipe dream.
11 is the right number though for a basketball only conference, gives a full rank, twenty game schedule—every one plays everyone H&H.