For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
UVA and VT aren’t going to split up. UNC isn’t going to split off from the other NC schools. Despite the fanbases not liking each other, the schools aren’t going to split.

ND currently can’t join any conference except the ACC because of the contracts they have. And much of the Big Ten doesn’t want ND because of historic rivalries.

And GT isn’t likely either. They aren’t going to leave their footprint and traditional rivals.

The big difference here is that the Big 12 couldn’t even get a good new TV even when they had Texas and OU. The ACC has a great deal with ESPN. They have their own network. And their total payout per team is on par with the SEC and Big Ten. Add ND to the ACC and their deal will continue to be as good as the SEC after these additions. There’s just not the same motivation for movement out of the ACC as there is with the Big 12 right now.
We shall see and we have a bet.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The Big 12 is not a good fit for WVU. Closest team is 800 miles away. ACC for WVU.
I’m not sure the ACC is going to want WVU. Academics are weak. Doesn’t bring a good market.

I think Cincy would be more likely.

I’m not sure the ACC is going to want WVU. Academics are weak. Doesn’t bring a good market.

I think Cincy would be more likely.
Easy. I am a product of WVU and my academics are as good or better than anyone on this board. Actually Heel, VA Tech and WVU are comparable. Maybe not. WVU has a law school and a med school and a rabid fan base. The student body has similar characteristics. Tech gets a lot of students from southern West Virginia.

Last edited:

rvaram

Elite Member
Easy. I am a product of WVU and my academics are as good or better than anyone on this board. Actually Heel, VA Tech and WVU are comparable. Maybe not. WVU has a law school and a med school and a rabid fan base. The student body has similar characteristics. Tech gets a lot of students from southern West Virginia.
I love the people of West Virginia and one of my good buddies is a graduate but VT has elevated their profile significantly in the past 20/30 years and is head and shoulders above WVU.

Fwiw, VT is doing a lot with Carillion and has a med school at Roanoke General (one of the largest hospitals in the state).

I love the people of West Virginia and one of my good buddies is a graduate but VT has elevated their profile significantly in the past 20/30 years and is head and shoulders above WVU.

Fwiw, VT is doing a lot with Carillion and has a med school at Roanoke General (one of the largest hospitals in the state).
Obviously I disagree. Show me your evidence that Tech is head and shoulders above WVU.

rvaram

Elite Member
Obviously I disagree. Show me your evidence that Tech is head and shoulders above WVU.
There are lots of valid complaints about how different organizations rank colleges. I think niche.com does a pretty good job.

WVU has lower average SAT scores and a higher acceptance rate and is ranked as the 100th best public college in the country. VT is 12th.

The ACC turned WVU away before, which is why they're in the B12 to begin with. The ACC doesn't really need to add WVU enough to bypass whatever objections kept them out of the conference in previous rounds of realignment. ESPN money will just be spread out more thinly across more schools, and WVU adds no markets that aren't already covered by Pitt and Virginia Tech.

B1G's best add is Kansas, which does nothing for the conference profile in football. Football drives the bus. I don't see it happening. Iowa State has the academics for the B1G, but add nothing in terms of regional territory. Iowa would go to heck and back to block the Cyclones from joining. That's not going to work.

TTU, OK State, and KSU really only have the P12 to bail them out if they want to stay in a Power football conference. There's already debate about whether the P12 is actually a Power conference now, and diluting the brand with programs that are kinda-sorta-good in their best years doesn't do much to raise that profile. None of those three are AAU Member Institutions and there's a question about whether they fit academically with the PAC. Kansas is better fit for the PAC, but again, they add nothing in football. Football drives the bus. Iowa State also makes sense but that's an awfully large geographic footprint for a conference that makes most of its noise in Olympic sports that ISU and Kansas don't sponsor. I doubt this happens.

Baylor and TCU are both screwed. The P12 has said they won't take religious schools as full members, which is why they didn't take BYU in previous rounds of realignment. Their best option is the American, with their nonsensical geographic footprint and membership made up entirely of other schools that don't really want to be there either.

That's five schools that face dwindling prospects in the B12. I strongly doubt the conference is dissolved by a membership vote (Baylor and TCU would basically be resigning themselves to purgatory). The Big XII has more name cache than the American Athletic Conference, so after the remaining schools shop around a bunch and most of them get spurned, I'm guessing you're likely to see Cincy/Memphis/UCF/Boise State get invites.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Virginia Tech got in because the governor/legislature of Virginia forced the issue.

UVA, UNC, and Duke formed a coalition to block expansion (3 no votes was all that was needed). VT wasn’t even an option that the ACC was looking at at that point. UVA was forced by the state government to bring VT into the equation and switch their vote. The ACC had wanted Miami and BC. Because of Virginia politics, it became Miami and VT. BC ended up getting in a year later anyway. Those kind of politics won’t be there to help West Virginia.

Louisville was really only brought in because the ACC was in panic mode when Maryland bolted. They wouldn’t have gotten an invite otherwise. The ACC might want to add a team right now, but they won’t be in that same kind of panic mode.

Last edited:
There are lots of valid complaints about how different organizations rank colleges. I think niche.com does a pretty good job.

WVU has lower average SAT scores and a higher acceptance rate and is ranked as the 100th best public college in the country. VT is 12th.
Are you a Tech graduate?