For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCURAMIT

Elite Member
I'm with you. I always saw the AAC as a "placeholder conference" meaning any of those teams would leave in a minute if another conference came calling. It wasn't exactly a genius hot take I realize, but it's turned out to be absolutely true.
The fact that their commissioner genuinely thought that he was going to be able to pick teams off of the Big12 just showed me that the entire thing was built on delusion from the outset. The AAC was destined for irrelevancy. Part of me understands why Wichita State took the invite, but quite frankly I would have been pissed if we ended up stuck in the same mess that they currently are.

You've got to feel for ODU fans having to swallow these unappetizing conference realignments. Regarding conference affiliation, what's good for one sport (let's say, basketball), isn't necessarily the right recipe for the others. Eventually I foresee one-sport only conferences. Makes no sense that VCU plays tennis in same conference with Loyola and St. Looie.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
You've got to feel for ODU fans having to swallow these unappetizing conference realignments. Regarding conference affiliation, what's good for one sport (let's say, basketball), isn't necessarily the right recipe for the others. Eventually I foresee one-sport only conferences. Makes no sense that VCU plays tennis in same conference with Loyola and St. Looie.
One-sport conferences already exist for gymnastics and ice hockey.

i bring a 40 year perspective to this and can say that VCU has done remarkably well in its conference alignment (independent- sunbelt- metro - CAA- a10)
Given we are not going to play football (agree 100% with that ) we are pretty much in the best situation for us and are one of the two or 3 conference anchors for the A10 (i use anchors in a positive sense of stability )

there is only one better conference for us for basketball (big east) but not sure how much better it is for the other VCU sports

a10 needs a more substantive basketball tv contract going forward and needs a strategy to get there - the difference between a10 and big east is 10 fold in what individual schools get - just think about what an additional 4 million annually will do for VCU ( it would allow most of the Athletic Village to be built and financed over 30 years with that revenue stream)

get off your tail ms Bernadette - create a strategy to improve the 6 teams holding our conference value down or a strategy to jettison

VCU Heel

Elite Member
i bring a 40 year perspective to this and can say that VCU has done remarkably well in its conference alignment (independent- sunbelt- metro - CAA- a10)
Given we are not going to play football (agree 100% with that ) we are pretty much in the best situation for us and are one of the two or 3 conference anchors for the A10 (i use anchors in a positive sense of stability )

there is only one better conference for us for basketball (big east) but not sure how much better it is for the other VCU sports

a10 needs a more substantive basketball tv contract going forward and needs a strategy to get there - the difference between a10 and big east is 10 fold in what individual schools get - just think about what an additional 4 million annually will do for VCU ( it would allow most of the Athletic Village to be built and financed over 30 years with that revenue stream)

get off your tail ms Bernadette - create a strategy to improve the 6 teams holding our conference value down or a strategy to jettison
Outside of Wichita State, there’s not a single school the A10 could possibly add that would improve the bottom line. And it’s unclear whether they would consider the A10.

I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you in the A10 media deal improving much. The Big East is a much more appealing conference for media deals for a number of reasons.

Mercury

Elite Member
Unfortunately for us there isn't much money in basketball. Even the BE gets peanuts compared to what the football conferences are able to bring in. Even if the A-10 tv deal were to double we'd still be tremendously behind the 8-ball.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Unfortunately for us there isn't much money in basketball. Even the BE gets peanuts compared to what the football conferences are able to bring in. Even if the A-10 tv deal were to double we'd still be tremendously behind the 8-ball.
I haven't looked at the data to try and figure this out but, what is the cost difference between basketball and football. Football has almost 7 times more players. more staff. more housing, more travel more fan attendance and more viewers on TV. Just something that popped in my brain. 8-)

Sadly A10 is not gonna get a better contract. Maybe the A10 years ago when we first got in. Right now there’s only 2-3 teams that people really know and only time people watch is when they play each other. No one outside of VCU fans is tuning in to watch VCU play Fordham. Quite simply we have to make due with what we have and hope to move to maybe the Big East where we get more money. We’re never gonna have the income of say Gonzaga. If we get into the top 40 in basketball income we’ll be in good shape. We were top 50 years back.

Mercury

Elite Member
I haven't looked at the data to try and figure this out but, what is the cost difference between basketball and football. Football has almost 7 times more players. more staff. more housing, more travel more fan attendance and more viewers on TV. Just something that popped in my brain. 8-)
You don't need to look up the data to know that football cost more...I'm guessing the point you are trying to get at is that even though those schools get more TV money it all gets eaten up by football. Which, of course is true. But they bring in way more than schools our level do in tickets, merch, alumni giving etc.

It really is amazing what VCU has accomplished given how much money we have available at our disposal.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
You don't need to look up the data to know that football cost more...I'm guessing the point you are trying to get at is that even though those schools get more TV money it all gets eaten up by football. Which, of course is true. But they bring in way more than schools our level do in tickets, merch, alumni giving etc.

It really is amazing what VCU has accomplished given how much money we have available at our disposal.
Really when I was talking about the data it was more about how revenue to expenses compare. Like does it take on Avg does UVA spend $1million on basketball and bring in $1 million in revenue vs do they spend $7 million on football and bring in $7 million in revenue(simplistic figures used as an example and not intended to be an accurate representation). Just curious about the ration which I know is not 1:1 and revenue generating sports also help fund non-revenue generating sports . Maybe basketball is 2:1 and football is 4:1. That is what I was thinking about when I said I hadn't looked at the data.

I whole heartedly agree it is amazing what VCU has done with the resources available

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Sadly A10 is not gonna get a better contract. Maybe the A10 years ago when we first got in. Right now there’s only 2-3 teams that people really know and only time people watch is when they play each other. No one outside of VCU fans is tuning in to watch VCU play Fordham. Quite simply we have to make due with what we have and hope to move to maybe the Big East where we get more money. We’re never gonna have the income of say Gonzaga. If we get into the top 40 in basketball income we’ll be in good shape. We were top 50 years back.
You must be really fun to talk to at parties.