For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

VCU Heel

Elite Member
You can’t have an eye test for selecting conference championship opponents. That would be an absolute disaster with guaranteed bias towards the matchups that are more profitable and the programs with more power.

The reason the Big Ten divisions are the way they are is because schools like Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, and Penn St want to maintain their longterm rivalries and being in the same division is the only real way to accomplish it. They’re choosing that, so I don’t feel a bit sorry for them that they have to play in a tougher division because of that choice and some of the schools on the western side of the conference might get an easy path. If there aren’t divisions, then they’re still all going to want to play each other and end up with harder schedules and more losses since someone has to lose in each game when they’re all playing each other.

But there is absolutely no way you can introduce a subjective component when deciding who plays for the conference championship and an automatic bid into the expanded playoff. These are just the issues that come up when you have a 16, 18, 20+ team football conference. And there’s no great solution.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
The ACC's new format makes perfect sense, while still trying to maintain as many rivalries as possible. And it's better for the conference overall. Currently, NC State only plays some ACC schools twice every 8 years. The new format will shorten that timeframe to every four years. And the cream is still going to rise to the top. The second best team in the current division format will now have a chance to play in the conference championship game if they are the second best team in the league.

My guess is you are going to see every P5 conference do away with divisions going forward. The Big 12 has never had divisions and will probably not go to divisions when they expand the conference next year.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Clearly the move up to FBS is working out for JMU - they're ranked in the AP top 25 just five weeks into their first season.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Clearly the move up to FBS is working out for JMU - they're ranked in the AP top 25 just five weeks into their first season.

This could be bad news for UVA and VT’s recruiting. They’re already struggling to sign the top 10-20 players in the state.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

I grew up with JMU football or should I say Madison at that time. I lived next to Coach McMillin and I was a ball boy on the sidelines when Gary Clark went wild on UVA. Anyway, I am happy for them. Crazy but their transfer QB is rated #1 in the nation.

rvaram

Elite Member
Looking at their schedule I’m surprised they’re ranked but certainly quite an accomplishment

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The win in Boone against App St was big.
App State is 3-3 with a lucky win on a last second Hail Mary type play. That win was big for JMU, but it doesn’t look quite as good as it did a couple weeks ago.

They blew out Middle Tennessee State who beat Miami, but MTSU has lost the last two games since that and are 3-3.

I’m happy for them, but the meat of their schedule remains. Georgia Southern, Marshall, Louisville, ODU, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina. All of those games will be challenging. It will be interesting to see how they do.

They are probably over ranked at the moment considering they don’t have a win over a team with a winning record. They mostly are getting press because they’ve beat teams (App State, MTSU) that have beat other teams (Texas A&M, Miami) and not because of the quality of their own wins. But stringing wins together in an FBS conference is sometimes all you need to do to squeak in.

I’ll be pulling for them because their success probably hurts UVA and VT.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Philosophically, Gonzaga would be an outstanding fit for the Big East and would be a huge "get". But, I just don't see how a league with most of its members in the eastern half of the country could possibly add a team from Spokane, Washington. The logistics just don't make sense to me.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Philosophically, Gonzaga would be an outstanding fit for the Big East and would be a huge "get". But, I just don't see how a league with most of its members in the eastern half of the country could possibly add a team from Spokane, Washington. The logistics just don't make sense to me.
USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten and the nearest conference member to them is Nebraska. Spokane is actually closer to Omaha (where Creighton is) than USC and UCLA are to Lincoln (where Nebraska is). It seems apparent that the conferences are willing to work out those logistical issues.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten and the nearest conference member to them is Nebraska. Spokane is actually closer to Omaha (where Creighton is) than USC and UCLA are to Lincoln (where Nebraska is). It seems apparent that the conferences are willing to work out those logistical issues.
The Big Ten payout is enough to make distance not matter. The Big East payout is not. Football matters.

Football money vs basketball money. Same reason the A10 may hesitant with WSU being in Kansas.

HBK

Elite Member

And yet they are already struggling financially in the athletic department with the move to FBS, according to their AD.