For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

No, VCU. If it makes you feel better VCU is ranked 108th on that list.

Edit: and if we're talking about a good time, WVU is #1 in the country!
Heel has the correct description of Tech's entrance into the ACC. It was all politics and academics was secondary. The three elite Universities objected to a Hokie membership. (It could be because of academics)

(It could be because of academics)
UConn was seen as the more attractive option at the time. UConn would have cemented the conference footprint in New England and given Boston College a travel partner. Geographically Virginia Tech is somewhat isolated from major metropolitan markets. Academics may have played a small part in schools' preference of UConn over VT, but it wasn't the biggest reason.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
UConn was seen as the more attractive option at the time. UConn would have cemented the conference footprint in New England and given Boston College a travel partner. Geographically Virginia Tech is somewhat isolated from major metropolitan markets. Academics may have played a small part in schools' preference of UConn over VT, but it wasn't the biggest reason.
Tech may be geographically isolated from major metro market but if you ask most virginians what are the two major schools in the state you will likely get UVa and Tech. Some schools don't need to be metro market located.....they have the brand recognition and fan base. Just look at the NC schools....hardly metro located....25-30 years go the metro area of Charlotte was not huge

Tech may be geographically isolated from major metro market but if you ask most virginians what are the two major schools in the state you will likely get UVa and Tech. Some schools don't need to be metro market located.....they have the brand recognition and fan base. Just look at the NC schools....hardly metro located....25-30 years go the metro area of Charlotte was not huge
You're right; I'm just saying that was the prevailing thought among ACC schools at the time in regards to expansion.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
There are lots of valid complaints about how different organizations rank colleges. I think niche.com does a pretty good job.

WVU has lower average SAT scores and a higher acceptance rate and is ranked as the 100th best public college in the country. VT is 12th.
No one

One cares about SAT scores anymore. They have been dropped as a required acceptance criteria in so many places. It's like homework, no one requires homework anymore.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
Anyone think the remainder of the big 12 will try to bring in Memphis and Houston?

In which case, the AAC makes overtures to VCU and maybe St. Louis?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Anyone think the remainder of the big 12 will try to bring in Memphis and Houston?

Everything is up for speculation. If dominoes fall the A10 could position itself as a stronger basketball conference by pulling in good teams that are better at basketball than football.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

Memphis and Cincy should be definite targets of the Big 12 if it remains a viable conference.

Houston isn’t as certain. The conference already has Texas Tech, TCU, and Baylor. They don’t really need another school from the state of Texas.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
Everything is up for speculation. If dominoes fall the A10 could position itself as a stronger basketball conference by pulling in good teams that are better at basketball than football.

my idea, which I'm sure the experts will be rushing to tell me why it's all wrong and would never work, is that the Big East tries to push to 14 or even 16 members and adds the top successful, dedicated, and basketball-focused universities in the Eastern half of the country and then let the football schools bash each others brains out over whatever they want

VCU Heel

Elite Member
The Big East has already kind of done that. The old Big East was a powerhouse in basketball and a decent football league too. After the non-FBS football schools got left behind, they’ve been pretty shell shocked ever since and have circled their wagons. The question for them is whether it makes more sense financially to expand to 14-16 non-FBS football schools or to just stay where they are now.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
No one

One cares about SAT scores anymore. They have been dropped as a required acceptance criteria in so many places. It's like homework, no one requires homework anymore.
I'll go a step further and say less and less employers/ businesses/ clients care about where your college is ranked. It's a new world out there and knowledge (regardless of how you acquire it), aptitude, communication skills, likeability, industriousness and ability to confront people effectively are much better markers of success than your educational pedigree.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
The Big East has already kind of done that. The old Big East was a powerhouse in basketball and a decent football league too. After the non-FBS football schools got left behind, they’ve been pretty shell shocked ever since and have circled their wagons. The question for them is whether it makes more sense financially to expand to 14-16 non-FBS football schools or to just stay where they are now.
I would view it as circling the wagons further, like the football schools want to choke us out fine. We will double down on basketball and make that work or die trying.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I would view it as circling the wagons further, like the football schools want to choke us out fine. We will double down on basketball and make that work or die trying.
Maybe. They already have 11 programs that are all pretty safe to stay for decades. UConn is the only one that could possibly be lured away later, but I don’t see them moving anytime soon after just rejoining. They can play the round robin, 20 game format that they love. They wouldn’t be able to do that if they expanded much more. And they have their pie that they all get to split. Adding teams means a smaller piece of the pie for everyone unless they can renegotiate their TV deal, which is no guarantee. If they add programs going forward, then it’s going to have to be programs that guarantee a significant increase in the bottom line.

rvaram

Elite Member
No one

Yeah, I think it's all leading to an even further dumbing down of the education system but that's a convo for another day